Head-Fi UK Meet: 02/04/2011 - London
Mar 27, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #151 of 237

Quote:
A possibly over-justified/defensive response but I hope it helps clarify my reasoning and point of view.

Thank you for the reply. On a practical level, what is your expectation regarding the space that is available? And how will it be allocated? ie. How many tables do you expect to be able to provide? And how many of those will be available to the non-commercial exhibitors? My reason for asking this question is that I get the feeling that space might be tight. I certainly don't wish to bring an excess of gear if there isn't the space for it.

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #152 of 237

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. On a practical level, what is your expectation regarding the space that is available? And how will it be allocated? ie. How many tables do you expect to be able to provide? And how many of those will be available to the non-commercial exhibitors? My reason for asking this question is that I get the feeling that space might be tight. I certainly don't wish to bring an excess of gear if there isn't the space for it.

The first post says... 
  1. At least 30 tables (each 5' * 2.5' - room for two people per table), plenty of chairs and 32 plug sockets (people will need to bring power gangs as per previous meets).
  2. Capacity for 200.

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #153 of 237

Quote:
The first post says...
  1. At least 30 tables (each 5' * 2.5' - room for two people per table), plenty of chairs and 32 plug sockets (people will need to bring power gangs as per previous meets).
  2. Capacity for 200.

Yes, I read that. I also read an earlier post stating that AmpCity would have 6 complete systems and since it would seem that there are more systems provided by "friends" of AmpCity. Assuming that 10 tables are allocated to the commercial interests, that leaves 20 tables, times 2 people - 40 non-commercial exhibitors with half a table each. There are more than 40 people signed up and enough gear on the list to fill them.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but if I cant get a straight answer to the question then it's fine, I'll bring a portable system and leave all the hi-end gear at home. It seems that there is more interest in portable systems than 35kg tube amps, and £10k DAC's anyway. It's completely pointless removing costly, large and heavy equipment from my systems if there isn't the room to accomodate it.

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #154 of 237
I really don't think space will be a problem, the venue has capacity to hold 200 seated. When I spoke to them, they said they had plenty of chairs and tables available. At the time of inquiring I just wanted to be sure they had at least 30, as based on the previous UK meet, this seemed like a necessary minimum.

I actually think everyone will be able to have a table each if required, even including those needed by AmpCity, etc.

There has been a lot of interest in IEMs - which is great, but I for one am primarily interested in full sized, home, gear - and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm going to confirm the number of tables required with the venue early next week (this is one of the reasons for the attendance deadline, as they need sufficient notice to get all the tables and chairs out of storage). Should there be any constraints beyond half a table each I'll advise as soon as possible.

Everyone will need to bring a power gang of course. I would recommend everyone bring a gang with enough sockets for all their gear plus one, in case we need to daisy chain (hopefully this won't be necessary but it shouldn't be a problem as I don't think even several headphone systems will draw near to 13 amps). I'll post a reminder about this nearer the time.

I feel confident we've got everything covered but if anyone has any other logistical questions or considerations please air them now, while there's still time!

Thanks.

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #155 of 237

Quote:
 It seems that there is more interest in portable systems than 35kg tube amps, and £10k DAC's anyway. It's completely pointless removing costly, large and heavy equipment from my systems if there isn't the room to accomodate it.  

Bring them! Bring them please! I will give you my table if it's space that you worry about! :D

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #156 of 237
Parafeed,

Personally your amplifiers and your design ideas are a substantial part of my reasons to come to the meeting and I really wanted to plug my DT48-S, and especially my K340, to one of your jewels. I am aware that this is not a diy meeting but, to be honest, I've zip interest in commercial amplifiers (but of course I am keen on trying other headphones) so  your name in the list gave me some hope.

However I will have to leave the meeting before 2:45 PM so please don't break your back just for me. In case you decide to do it please let's coordinate so I can help with your items. I know what it is to move a proper SET amp.

In terms of available space it would be practically pointless for me to evaluate an amp without a proper cdp (in a absence of a competent vinyl setup) and my CD80 is big on its own (again not exactly portable at 17 kgs).

A

Quote:
Yes, I read that. I also read an earlier post stating that AmpCity would have 6 complete systems and since it would seem that there are more systems provided by "friends" of AmpCity. Assuming that 10 tables are allocated to the commercial interests, that leaves 20 tables, times 2 people - 40 non-commercial exhibitors with half a table each. There are more than 40 people signed up and enough gear on the list to fill them.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but if I cant get a straight answer to the question then it's fine, I'll bring a portable system and leave all the hi-end gear at home. It seems that there is more interest in portable systems than 35kg tube amps, and £10k DAC's anyway. It's completely pointless removing costly, large and heavy equipment from my systems if there isn't the room to accomodate it.

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #157 of 237

Quote:
Should there be any constraints beyond half a table each I'll advise as soon as possible.

Thank you. Working on the basis of half a table, I'll bring one complete "home" system. What would people like to hear? Any preferences, PM me.

AKG K-1000 driven by Chazz (6550 tube amp)

Bottlehead Sex amp (with upgraded chokes/transformers) with Senn HD800, Beyer T1, JVC DX1000

Halcyon with Senn HD800, Beyer T1, JVC DX1000. (The Halcyon tube amp is my own design. It is large and heavy owing to the quantity of iron used in the design, and occupies 2x 4U 19" rack cases. It uses autoformers for volume control, choke loaded triodes, TL-404 output autoformers, choke input PS, gas tube regulation. If this amp was sold commercially I would guess it would retail at $10k.)

6H30/6C45 common cathode tube amp. (Doesn't sound like a tube amp. Very SS sound with excellent leading edge definition.)

6H30 parafeed amp. (Think DNA Sonnet or Hagerman Cornet. 1/10th the parts cost of the Halcyon.)

DAC's. Whilst I have a penchant for NOS DAC's, I also own a dcs Paganini which people might be interested in hearing. I can also bring my own design balanced DAC's, (again very large and heavy, 19" rack cases), a 4x (stacked) TDA1541, Sowter transformer I/V, balanced tube output stage, or a 2x AD1865 (in differential configuration), Sowter I/V transformer, balanced tube output stage. (Or a single AD1865 DAC with SE tube ouput stage.) Personally, the 2x AD1865 is probably my favourite DAC but I'd understand if people preferred me to bring the Paganini.

Transport..... I could bring a CD spinner, but I'm more inclined to use a Transporter and a laptop. But if you'd rather a disc spinner I'll bring the TEAC transport instead.

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #158 of 237
Yeah!

the K-1000 system, your Halcyon and 6H30 parafeed  are just in my dream list.
The Ad1865 with SE tube stage is my pick for dacs. My CD80 is a NOSed TDA1541 itself and I'm building a tube out stage myself but it won't be ready for the meeting.

Thanks a lot for this.

Quote:
Thank you. Working on the basis of half a table, I'll bring one complete "home" system. What would people like to hear? Any preferences, PM me.

AKG K-1000 driven by Chazz (6550 tube amp)

Bottlehead Sex amp (with upgraded chokes/transformers) with Senn HD800, Beyer T1, JVC DX1000

Halcyon with Senn HD800, Beyer T1, JVC DX1000. (The Halcyon tube amp is my own design. It is large and heavy owing to the quantity of iron used in the design, and occupies 2x 4U 19" rack cases. It uses autoformers for volume control, choke loaded triodes, TL-404 output autoformers, choke input PS, gas tube regulation. If this amp was sold commercially I would guess it would retail at $10k.)

6H30/6C45 common cathode tube amp. (Doesn't sound like a tube amp. Very SS sound with excellent leading edge definition.)

6H30 parafeed amp. (Think DNA Sonnet or Hagerman Cornet. 1/10th the parts cost of the Halcyon.)

DAC's. Whilst I have a penchant for NOS DAC's, I also own a dcs Paganini which people might be interested in hearing. I can also bring my own design balanced DAC's, (again very large and heavy, 19" rack cases), a 4x (stacked) TDA1541, Sowter transformer I/V, balanced tube output stage, or a 2x AD1865 (in differential configuration), Sowter I/V transformer, balanced tube output stage. (Or a single AD1865 DAC with SE tube ouput stage.) Personally, the 2x AD1865 is probably my favourite DAC but I'd understand if people preferred me to bring the Paganini.

Transport..... I could bring a CD spinner, but I'm more inclined to use a Transporter and a laptop. But if you'd rather a disc spinner I'll bring the TEAC transport instead.

Mar 27, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #159 of 237
Parafeed, 
A few attendees are coming with very little gear, or just portable gear, others won't need half a table - My rig and phones could likely be fitted onto a third of a table and I'm sure others are the same.  

As jr said, the 30 tables/1/2 table each thing was not set in stone.

If you need or would like a whole table it won't be a problem.

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #160 of 237

Quote:
I am aware that this is not a diy meeting but, to be honest, I've zip interest in commercial amplifiers (but of course I am keen on trying other headphones) so  your name in the list gave me some hope.

I've spoken to a couple of other people tonight with similar feelings. In any case, I'm not sure our interests are really served by a mainstream "event". To be perfectly honest with you as well, I don't really have any interest in hearing any of the other "commercial" equipment that's going to be at the meet. My main reason for attending was that I've said privately I'd take my amps to this one after I had to pull out of attending the Manchester show last year, at the last minute. And to chew the fat, of course! It seems there is interest in my hosting a meet targeted at DIY'ers. I'll start a new thread with date suggestions in June after discussing with my wife. Meet during the day and I'll put on a barbecue in the evening.

Please don't attend the London meet this weekend for any reason other than the fact you would attend anyway, whether I'm there or not and regardless of what gear I would bring with me! My inclination is to see if the few people that were specifically attending because of my gear would prefer me to a host a get-together at my home in June. If that's the case then I probably won't bother with the logistics of this Saturday.

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #161 of 237
I think it's fair to say there is a focus on commercial gear at this meet, a national meet with a large attendance is probably always going to be that way. Having said that I feel it would be a great shame if members of the DIY contingent didn't want to come along as it is intended to be a meet for everyone.

For what it's worth, I'm a budding DIY'er, having just completed the AMB Mini³ - which I'll be bringing along, and I'm now busy researching a M³ build. I was keen to have a chat with other DIY'ers at the meet as I know there may be a β22 present, etc., also.

A DIY specific meet sounds like a great idea, I would be very keen to attend if possible. Should you decide not to come to this meet I would be grateful if you could just drop me a PM so I can keep my spreadsheet up to date. Thanks.

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #162 of 237
[size=x-small]From my perspective, whether or not the meet serves the interests of DIY enthusiasts is entirely within the control of DIY enthusiasts. There is nothing about the event itself which inhibits there being a strong element of DIY - only the attendance of DIY enthusiasts will have any effect on that.[/size]

[size=x-small]What this meet offers you is a space to display your gear (at least half a table but more can be arranged if needed), and an opportunity to try out the gear of any other attendee. That's pretty standard for a meet and I don't see why that is inhibiting to DIY or what more we could do to make it less so. If there is anything we can do, let us know.[/size]

[size=x-small]It’s understandable that someone who builds and even designs their own amps would have no interest in hearing commerical amps. At the same time the vast majority of head-fiers don't have the skills, knowledge let alone the time to build their own gear. The fact is that while the presence of commerical amps has no effect on those who don't want to listen to them (they could just not listen to them), it would certainly be a let down for those who wanted to if they were not there. [/size]

[size=x-small]I imagine every attendee has things they will and won't be interested in at the meet; it's to be expected. I really think it would be impossible to organise an event that would be absolutely perfect to every single member. What I do believe has been achieved is a meet where there will be something for everyone, even if not everyone is interested in everything. [/size]

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #163 of 237
EddieE,

your point is clearly right but I think Parafeed's concerns are on a rather different level.

There is a branch of audio engineering where good sound reproduction can only be achieved with the usage massive magnetic components and big film caps. It is clearly not commercial not much because the fact it is diy per se, but rather because there will never be a market for a company building amps  weighting between 20 and 50 kgs, taking the space of one or two  microwave ovens and needing between half and one hour pre-heating.

So it is reasonable to take the bother of moving this things around only if there is a specific significant interest about it.

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #164 of 237

Maybe this meet is a good opportunity to show what DIY audio is ?
I don't know what it is and I will be very happy to see and to hear what you are doing, and I am sure other will be interested as well.
I guess that most of people are using commercial gears and will probably never think about DIY unless they can actually see what it is.

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #165 of 237

Is a free meet and maybe the DIY contingent can pick up a few people to their group by showcasing their stuff there?

I can understand tho if the DIY lot have no interest in commercial gear and might not want to be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back