Head Direct RE252 Mini Review
Aug 31, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #31 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fang just PM-ed me to tell me the RE-03 is now called the RE252. I have made changes to the original post.

I thought my eyes are playing trick with me when I saw the title...
tongue.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #32 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought my eyes are playing trick with me when I saw the title...
tongue.gif

+1. I thought it was a new product, perhaps the RE2 with a mic or something.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #34 of 64
[size=small]Can anyone who has used the RE3/252 prototypes say how they compare to the Etymotic ER4S with respect to detail, stereo imaging, and overall audio frequency balance? If you can compare them to the ER4B, better still![/size]
smile_phones.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #35 of 64
Sure. I'm a big er4p/s fan but I feel that the Re-252 is better since of the bass (much more of it), weightier mids and not as harsh treble (which is only a problem on the etys for certain songs) The etys do win in high freq detail and bass clarity, but sometimes you just want a more relaxing sound, which the RE-252 is very good for

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #37 of 64
Quote:

Sure. I'm a big er4p/s fan but I feel that the Re-252 is better since of the bass (much more of it), weightier mids and not as harsh treble (which is only a problem on the etys for certain songs) The etys do win in high freq detail and bass clarity, but sometimes you just want a more relaxing sound, which the RE-252 is very good for

[size=small]Thank you! Is it possible the harshness of the Ety treble depends on the source recording or the source itself? I imagine the quality of the bass, mids, and treble can be influenced, positively or negatively, by one's portable amp as well. I have a very good one, the LaRocco PRII MkII, with a variable audiophile-quality bass boost that should allow me to correct that deficiency in the ER4.

I auditioned the Ety ER4S extensively years ago at a Head-Fi meet, admittedly with a solid home amp, and the treble did not strike me as being harsh at all - at least it wasn't Grado-treble harsh, and I used to own some Grados. The Ety bass is very tight quality-wise but is quantitatively sparse. [/size]
[size=small] I nearly pulled the trigger on[/size][size=small] the ER4S at the time[/size][size=small], but I am glad I held off because I later discovered the ER4B was even better.

I have been excited about the RE0 since they were announced - especially since one of the reviewers compared them very positively to the ER4S. Although the price drop in the RE0 a few months back was interesting, I was already lusting after the then newly announced [/size]
[size=small]RE3=RE252[/size][size=small]. Now I just found out about a low price source for the ER4B, and, suddenly, a good comparison between the RE252 & ER4S (or better still, the RE252 & ER4B) becomes very appropriate.

I imagine the RE252 bests the ER4B|S with respect to soundstage (or headstage). However, I have seen this portable amp of mine, the PRII MkII, increase the soundstage/headstage of the Senn HD25-1 - making me wonder what effect it may have on the ER4B. I have seen reviewers laud the RE252 for its musicality, and I know the ER4B has the distinction of being considered the reference IEM for the Etymotics IEM line by some very serious critics.

This is why I am soliciting opinions now. I suppose either the RE252 or the ER4B will end up becoming my mid-fi IEM - although if the ER4B is the choice, it will probably be a custom molded version. Who knows? I may have to try both.
smile_phones.gif

[/size]

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #38 of 64
Personally, I would not have the er4s/p (have not tried the b) as my only IEM. It doesnt work with all types of music imo. It excels in classical and well recorded female vocals but when it comes to something that needs more bass or needs some authority, I feel that the re252 is much better.

Trying both is the best answer.

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #39 of 64
Quote:

Personally, I would not have the er4s/p (have not tried the b) as my only IEM. It doesnt work with all types of music imo. It excels in classical and well recorded female vocals but when it comes to something that needs more bass or needs some authority, I feel that the re252 is much better.

Trying both is the best answer.

[size=small]I appreciate your viewpoint. My music tastes in jazz, vocals, fusion, R&B, and some classical lends itself very well to this IEM. I need to see for myself how well the bass contour feature of the LaRocco PRII MkII can transform the ER4B into bassy IEM. For the RE252, I need to investigate the possibility of custom moldings. I prefer comfortable fits to maximize the fidelity and isolation.

In any regard, I never had any intention of having only a mid-fi IEM. After the rave reviews of the JH13Pro, I have every intention of snaring these as a high-end IEM that serves double duty as a prestige home and portable "can." [/size]

Sep 29, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #41 of 64
Quote:

Heh, I suggest skipping the whole mid-fi and going up to the JH-13s

[size=small]
That would be sweet. Unfortunately, if I did that, I would have to wait a while since there are other necessary non-audio things I need to take care too. Besides, I don't know if I would always be comfortable moving around with $1100 IEM's in certain locales.[/size]
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #42 of 64
Good point. Well the etys do work well with bass boost (or it did with my old xin amp) but from my experience, you will never have the lush bass of more bassy headphone. To me, it comes down to detail and accuracy vs musicality

Oct 9, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #43 of 64
I have the RE252 and have had some fit issues, as I do with many IEMs. This design, while ultra comfortable and the IEMs disappear in your ears, have posed some challenges for me as far as getting a good seal. I am using the included large bi-flange tips, which are giving me the best fit. However, to maintain a great seal and sound, I am wearing them cable over my ears. When I wear them cable down it is hit and miss if I can get a good seal, and when I do, my movements sometimes cause me to lose it.

Anyways, on to the sound. I haven't had much chance to listen recently, so they were hooked up burning in for about a week. Before that I thought the treble sounded a little weird in some tracks, as it sounded a little too distant to mesh with the rest of the spectrum. Now, with 350+ hours on these, wow. I am very very impressed, when I can get and maintain a seal.

I have been listening to trance and metal all night with these and they are fantastic sounding. I haven't had enough time to properly quantify the sound all that well, but a few things:
- They have enough bass and reverb for trance (which to me is not easy for a neutral frequency response IEM like the 252 to reproduce well) and sound very good. They do not have a lot of bass like say the IE8, Denon C710, or Mingo WM2, which really pack a punch, but they have a good amount that to me sounds great even with trance. The mids and treble are so sweet that it is easy to not miss the slamming bass, which again is still there and reverberates well, just not accentuated.
- I compared them with the Cresyn C750E (yes, different price point) and was thinking the mids and treble would probably be similar. Wow, the 252 does a number on the Cresyn. I still like how the Cresyne has great in-your-face mids and great treble for the price, but the 252 does outclass it. Especially in the bass department, where to me, the Cresyn lacks the reverb necessary for trance (although it works with a lot of metal).
- Fit, as mentioned above, is the biggest Achilles heel for me at this point. I have tried all included tips, Comply T-400s, standard silicon, Skullcandy silicon, de-cored olives on comply cores, comply foam under silicon, standard double flance, using an IE8 tip as an extender, and the included large bi-flange are the best. But again, cable over the ears. I wear most of my IEMs that way, so no issues other than the look as the ear guides hang down. If I figure something out, I will share. But I love the sound, so who cares how they look. Conversation starter!
- The overall presentation is very smooth, well defined, with everything well placed. I have been listening for hours and they are very enjoyable still, no fatigue or discomfort.

Here is a pic.

I will be posting my thoughts with more than just trance and metal, how they compare with the IE8, C710, WM2, and whatever else I can find to throw at em.

And they do sound a good deal better via the AMP3 than from the HPO of my Fuze. The AMP3 is a fantastic match with the 252, preferable to my sound card amp also.

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #44 of 64
Mini-update: 252 vs. IE8

Spent about an hour comparing the two, and here are some quick notes:
- IE8 is much darker and sounds thicker, even a little slow comparatively
- IE8 has a wider soundstage and sound much closer to being at a concert than the 252, but the sound signature of the IE8 makes it seem like I am by a tunnel/hallway leading to the concert hall, not directly in front of the performers. The 252 sounds like the performance is in a smaller space, but I am sitting in front of it and there is much more apparent resolution in the space provided.
- The instrument separation of the 252 sounds perfect, as with some BA IEMs I thought it sounded a little too much and artificial. The IE8 is close, but the 252 bests it IMO.
- The sound signature of the 252 sounds much more balanced to me, not lacking bass, not too much treble (although a little accentuated), just right presentation. I can't say I think the IE8 sound signature is balanced comparatively.
- The 252 does not sound lean when compared to the IE8
- Some individual instruments sound more to my liking on the IE8, but more complex music sounds better with the 252. For example, the piano on Queen - No One Lives Forever sounds richer, however, when the other music is playing, I prefer the 252. In The Eagles - Hotel CA live, the kettle drums sound much more authoritative with the IE8 (which I prefer), but the guitar sounds as enjoyable on either (even with a slightly different presentation). But the 252 is not bad in anything.
- Detail is easier to hear with the 252.
- IE8 is more sensitive.
- IE8 is easier for me to stick into my ears and get a good seal, but the 252 has become more automatic and is now easy for me to get a good seal.

Verdict: While the IE8 soundstage can't be beat, I prefer the RE252 for it's balanced presentation that brings out the fine details yet still has great smoothness and refinement. The RE252 doesn't have any weakness IMO.

All testing was done with this configuration:
- Fuze -> film cap LOD -> Whiplash Audio mini-mini -> AMP3 -> impedance adapter
- Music was FLAC or 320Kbps (90% FLAC)
- AMP3 volume was increased 3 when going from IE8 to RE252, and back when going back

RE252 in my ear
IMG_1614_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back