Head-Direct RE0 recabling - anything against?
Sep 15, 2012 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

loft

New Head-Fier
Hello there!

Last night I've noticed that one of my IEMs was not working. The left side cable seems to be the problem. And because I have the cable from an old, broken Sennheiser CX300 lying around, I thought I should recable the RE0.

Would anybody have anything against this operation? Do you think the "new" cable would damage the sound of the RE0?

Thanks!

PS: I do have the skills for this recabling! :wink:

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
Hello there!

Last night I've noticed that one of my IEMs was not working. The left side cable seems to be the problem. And because I have the cable from an old, broken Sennheiser CX300 lying around, I thought I should recable the RE0.

Would anybody have anything against this operation? Do you think the "new" cable would damage the sound of the RE0?

Thanks!

PS: I do have the skills for this recabling! :wink:

Changing a cable can change the sound of the IEM.  Different cables have different resistance and impedance, so you may alter the sound a bit.  Whether or not it's audible is a different question (one that we can't answer :p).

Quote:
Have you determined exactly where the problem is with the existing cable?
Jim

RE0s have a cable problem, and the OP stated it's on the left side.  Probably in the strain relief like mine went out at.  

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 10
I tried that by bending the cable, but with no luck. The cable seems to be totally severed. I've also tried the other cable (without soldering anything) and the driver is working (that's how I determined that the cable is the problem).

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 10
You should be fine. I recable my RE0 and iM716 (with MEElec cable) due to cable hardening, now I use them regularly and haven't noticed any downside.

RE0n.jpg

Sep 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm going to recable mine soon, the cable is getting old and 'gummy'.  I've got soldering skills, but haven't recabled an iem before.  Any tips on recabling these that would save me some time and grief?  Especially opening the earpiece.

When you say you used a MEElec cable, do you mean cannibalized from a MEElec iem? 

I don't use iem's much, and starting using these again to drown out noise in my workplace, and I've got a new appreciation for how good they are.  No eq'ing necessary, bass is fine with me, in fact they're a bit on the warm side.

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 10
When you say you used a MEElec cable, do you mean cannibalized from a MEElec iem? 

Yep, I bought a few of their cheapest model just for that purpose, since I really like the build quality of it.

Be careful on the strain relief on RE0, mine is impossible to remove without damaging it so I have to source the strain relief from some other broken IEM. Also, remember to tie a knob on the cable inside the housing so you won't pull directly onto the solder joint when you are pulling the cable on the outside. I even go a further step by gluing the cable knob to the housing on the inside.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #10 of 10
Superglue by 3M (Scotch branded) or UHU are both excellent choice for the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back