Head-Direct EF-1
Jan 31, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #151 of 348
For what it is worth...

My brief experience with the EF1, I felt the 701s on stock EF1 (RCA cleartop) to be rather bland sounding compared to my TTVJ millett portable.

The EF1 sounded better with the HD650 in comparison as it tamed the 650s coloured bass.

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #152 of 348
Ahh thanks for the impressions. It's always interesting how this audio game works. Some people say the 701s blow the 600s out the water with this amp, and then we have others who feel the other way around. I think I'll buy a pair just to have a reference.

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #153 of 348
Where's the fun if everybody agrees on everything?
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #154 of 348
Is the Chinese New Year over yet ? I ordered mine before and got an eamil saying it would ship after Chinese new year. My new 702's are having to burn in on my Total Airhead to get ready for my EF-1. Although I'm liking them so far even on the airhead.

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #155 of 348
I know that I can/will void the warranty by changing the opamp on my Head-Direct EF1.
But my question is:
is it technically possible to install an OPA-Earth or OPA-Moon of audio-dg in this amp?
They seem to be driven by 9V - 25V...
Is it technically compatible?

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #156 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjergji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that I can/will void the warranty by changing the opamp on my Head-Direct EF1.
But my question is:
is it technically possible to install an OPA-Earth or OPA-Moon of audio-dg in this amp?
They seem to be driven by 9V - 25V...
Is it technically compatible?

I do not think there is enough space in the enclosure.

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #157 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not think there is enough space in the enclosure.

never mind the space, I could get the extension lead. I'm worried about the voltage. Does anyone know what voltage does the socket provide?
Any other possible problems, except space...?

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #158 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Chinese New Year over yet ? I ordered mine before and got an eamil saying it would ship after Chinese new year. My new 702's are having to burn in on my Total Airhead to get ready for my EF-1. Although I'm liking them so far even on the airhead.

CNY will last until 5th of February over there in mainland China.

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #160 of 348
I just got my EF1 and... I have a problem.
I know that the amp is a imbalanced at very low volume. But my EF1 is still imbalanced when I turn the volume knob all way up.
I'm using iBasso D3 as a DAC, and connect with EF1 by mini-to-RCA cable. Now I don't know is this connection (instead of RCA-to-RCA) that cause the problem, but I doubt it. Because I have tried it with a few amps and worked fine.
Unfortunately I don't have any other source and a pair of RCA-to-RCA to test if it work fine.
Has anybody faced the same problem like me?
Thank you.

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #161 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhat_thanh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my EF1 and... I have a problem.
I know that the amp is a imbalanced at very low volume. But my EF1 is still imbalanced when I turn the volume knob all way up.
I'm using iBasso D3 as a DAC, and connect with EF1 by mini-to-RCA cable. Now I don't know is this connection (instead of RCA-to-RCA) that cause the problem, but I doubt it. Because I have tried it with a few amps and worked fine.
Unfortunately I don't have any other source and a pair of RCA-to-RCA to test if it work fine.
Has anybody faced the same problem like me?
Thank you.

What are you using as your source? I had the same problem when using my PC via Foobar -> Zero DAC -> EF1. I even sent it back to Fang for some testing and it turns out it was the setup on my PC. Here's a guide I used to fix it: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/ea...5/#post5316393

In summary, turn the volume on your source all the way (100%) and manage your volume through your EF1.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #162 of 348
My setup is my PC (Vista) -> iBasso D3 (use as a DAC) -> EF1.
I'm using WASAPI in the foobar.
But now it is fine, I just fix the tube position and that is it
biggrin.gif
. I fixed it twice before, so I didn't think that cause the problem.
Anyway thanks

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #163 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by triode12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what it is worth...

My brief experience with the EF1, I felt the 701s on stock EF1 (RCA cleartop) to be rather bland sounding compared to my TTVJ millett portable.

The EF1 sounded better with the HD650 in comparison as it tamed the 650s coloured bass.

You should try another tube. The RCA is a little lean sounding for the AKG K701s. If you want a warmer bassier tube try a Sylvania 12AU7, I got one in mine and it is quite a bit better with the AKG K701s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhat_thanh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My setup is my PC (Vista) -> iBasso D3 (use as a DAC) -> EF1.
I'm using WASAPI in the foobar.
But now it is fine, I just fix the tube position and that is it
biggrin.gif
. I fixed it twice before, so I didn't think that cause the problem.
Anyway thanks

Was going to post that you need to check the tube, but I guess you already figured that out
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #164 of 348
got mine last week. It shipped with an RCA tube that was half wrapped in masking tape and had a big burn spot along the top half. First amp(tube or otherwise) so no comparisons going on. Kinda want to try something else to see if i can get better sonics. Recommendations <$25-30?

I have SR-80s.

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #165 of 348
the "burn spot" on RCA is a side getter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back