Head-Direct EF-1
Jan 26, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #140 of 348
Or, use Q-tips dipped in isopropyl alcohol (make sure you don't leave behind any cotton fiber hunks).

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #142 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does tube rolling (or upgrading the stock tube) make a significant differences for EF-1?

As a point of reference, cables make very insignificant difference for me as long as they're well built (i.e. BlueJeansCable is perfectly fine).

It makes a subtle difference, but definitely a worthwhile investment if you are looking to trim the sound of the amp towards a special set of headphones. Like for instance I like the Sylvania with my K701s, but the RCA cleartop is a wee bit better for the HD580s.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #144 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the EF-1 with the ESW10 and the E9s? Also I know this is a rather unfair comparison but how does it stack up against the yamamto HA-02?

The ESW1 and Edition 9 are nice off the EF1 and my main complaint is the soundstage isn't as big as with my Woo or Single Power amps (costing 3-4x more). The Woo and Single Power are a little more refined, but that's why you pay bug bucks for small improvements in sound. The EF1 is very competent, and I like it better than I did my DV336i.

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #145 of 348
How much improvement I could expect it over the headphone output of a good entry-level integrated amp/desktop CD player? I am seriously considing to get EF1 as my first dedicated amp to use with HD600, which is currently driven directly from a NAD integrated amp. However, I am still not sure how much improvement I can get from EF1. Also, one review says EF1 is not sound the best with HD6x0 in comparision with such as darkvoice in the similar price range. Any comment?

Jan 31, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #146 of 348
just got a sylvania tube from skylab this week. this tube is great! it has the widest soundstage of the three tubes ive got (mullard, rca cleartop, sylvania). it makes my pk1s sound like full sized headphones! its brighter than mullard but not as extended in the highs as cleartop and mids are a little brighter than cleartop. most of my listening is with akg 701s. i think the 701s love the mullard, are good with music on rca and probably wont see a lot of use with sylvania. yuin pk1 will get more of a workout with sylvania and rca and not so much with mullard. i gotta say tubes are addictive!

Jan 31, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #147 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got a sylvania tube from skylab this week. this tube is great! it has the widest soundstage of the three tubes ive got (mullard, rca cleartop, sylvania). it makes my pk1s sound like full sized headphones! its brighter than mullard but not as extended in the highs as cleartop and mids are a little brighter than cleartop. most of my listening is with akg 701s. i think the 701s love the mullard, are good with music on rca and probably wont see a lot of use with sylvania. yuin pk1 will get more of a workout with sylvania and rca and not so much with mullard. i gotta say tubes are addictive!

Do you know what brand the sylvania tube is? My stock EF1 came with a Conn branded Sylvania tube with the letters "Conn" imprinted on it in green.

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #148 of 348
His tube was a Sylvania Sylvania
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #149 of 348
Where is a good place to buy opamp's for the EF-1??

AD743JN

also need
AD797

All the places I find just sell by the 1000's.

EDIT: Found it
smily_headphones1.gif
newark.com

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #150 of 348
So does this headphone excel with the K701s? I've heard it does exceptionally well with those headphones, but not quite as well with the HD600s. If so, I might check into a pair of 701s to see the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back