Head-Direct EF-1
Jan 19, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #121 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberburger101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EF-1 on offer again at $299, but now they're shipping with the Sylvania 12AU7 instead.

Thanks for the heads up. Are the Sylvania tubes not as good as the clear top RCA ones?

Jan 19, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #122 of 348
How much does tube rolling affect the sound. Op Amp rolling as well? Is it more subtle or can it make a very noticeable difference?

I switched the stock from OP275 to AD8599. The 8599 I have is attached to a brown dog adapter, but I only seen one of them on there when I think there should be two, so maybe I didn't get the full effect. Still, I did notice things gained a bit more clarity. I'll have to do some more ABing.

Ok I did a quick AB. One thing I noticed is that the voices were clearer with the 8599. The 8599 sounds a bit more upbeat and clear as compared to the OP275.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #123 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the heads up. Are the Sylvania tubes not as good as the clear top RCA ones?

There are some EXCELLENT Sylvania 12AU7's. Sylvania made a lit of tubes, and there are quite a few different Sylvania 12AU7 variants, but the ones I have tried were very good.

There was an EBay seller recently selling a lot of NOS/NIB Sylvania 12AU7's - maybe Head-Direct decided to stock up
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #125 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much does tube rolling affect the sound. Op Amp rolling as well? Is it more subtle or can it make a very noticeable difference?

I switched the stock from OP275 to AD8599. The 8599 I have is attached to a brown dog adapter, but I only seen one of them on there when I think there should be two, so maybe I didn't get the full effect. Still, I did notice things gained a bit more clarity. I'll have to do some more ABing.

Ok I did a quick AB. One thing I noticed is that the voices were clearer with the 8599. The 8599 sounds a bit more upbeat and clear as compared to the OP275.

It's a dual channel opamp, so you only need one on the DIP8 adapter. With single channel, such as AD743, you need 2 on an adapter.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #126 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberburger101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EF-1 on offer again at $299, but now they're shipping with the Sylvania 12AU7 instead.

Nice, I just bought a Sylvania tube (HP rebrand) from Skylab and it sound really nice with my AKG K701s since it adds a little warmth. The RCA ain't no slouch either, and synergies well with a lot of cans.

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #127 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a dual channel opamp, so you only need one on the DIP8 adapter. With single channel, such as AD743, you need 2 on an adapter.

Yeah, I definitely stand corrected. I just assumed because of the small size that it was single channel, especially after hearing 2:1 adapters tossed around in this thread in reference to other op amps lol. Anyhow, I appreciate HiFlight for letting me buy one off of him. Was shipped quickly with no hitches. I'd definitely buy from him again. I might try a few others just to have some reference points.

Jan 21, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #128 of 348
Just bought an EF1 last night, my first purchase for a dedicated headphone amplifier, to go along with my D2000's. The Chinese New Year deal was too tempting to pass up. I can't wait for it to come.

Jan 21, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #129 of 348
I just got my EF1 today... all I can say is WOW!!! This amp is just off the wall amazing. I'm using Grados with flat pads, and the soundstage is still gigantic.

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #130 of 348
we need more tube rolling impressions, I'd like to try out some different tubes, but they are kind of pricey, anyone have listening impressions of the Mullard 12AU7?

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #131 of 348
I got a mullard this week. not one of the classic 50s mullards but a newer one. when i first put it in I thought it was a little boring. very smooth. used it primarily with recordings i thought were a little bright. after a few days of burning it in though i was listening to some godsmack this morning and really rocking with the mullard. figured i would put the rca in because i was thinking it would spice it up even more, but was surprised how much more i liked the mullard with godsmack, the guitar had real growl and authority which i lost with the rca.

cant wait to try some more tubes. sylvania is next.

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #132 of 348
A very nice sounding tube that I include with my kits is the JJ82ECC, matched and balanced. Superb synergy with the AD743.

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #133 of 348
Ive been trying some op-amp swapping. Today I got a pair of ad627 mounted on a brown dog adapter. This is the first op amp i put in that wasnt clearly deficient to stock op amp. But Im still not sure its an improvement. My initial thoughts were it was pretty lean. It has a nice wide soundstage with instrumentation in the right place, probably just a little wider than stock. Detail and midrange seem excellent. it is a very fast sounding op amp. almost too fast, the decay doesnt seem quite right with drums or bass strings. ive been listening with the rca cleartop. it definently beats the 8620 i tried and the lm6172.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back