HE-6 vs. LCD-2 comparison thread
Apr 24, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #31 of 41

Quote:
Even with a modestly powered speaker amp I didn't hear an improvement from the additional power with the LCD-2 like I did with the HE-6. All they need is a couple of watts really while the HE-6 are more K1000 like, true earspeakers if you will. The main improvement with the HE-6 when you give it more power is in the imaging, they can have a weird side to side thing going on with no central depth if inadequately powered.

I agree with this statement.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #32 of 41
Well, at the recent San Diego meet, I got a chance to hear both. Quick impressions...

LCD-2: I thought it looked great and had excellent build quality. I also thought that the LCD-2 sounded very neutral and natural, much more than the HE-6. The clamping force was adequate for me and I didn't find the LCD-2 to sound dark or veiled at all.

HE-6: Also looked great with great build quality, just a tad below the LCD-2 IMHO. The sound is not as neutral as the LCD-2 but it does sound natural with a euphoric touch. I thought it made a perfect combo with the Lyr. They are quite heavy yet didn't feel uncomfortable on your head.

My preference is for the HE-6 at the moment but it's only an ever so small preference. In the end, I wouldn't mind owning both.
wink_face.gif

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #33 of 41
Let me get this straight:

The LCD-2 sounded much more neutral and natural than the HE6. However, the HE6's sound, though not as neutral as the LCD-2, is nevertheless natural, though not as natural as the LCD-2, and has a euphonic touch. And you prefer the HE6.

I think I've just about got it.... 
tongue.gif

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #34 of 41
Well, at the recent San Diego meet, I got a chance to hear both. Quick impressions...

LCD-2: I thought it looked great and had excellent build quality. I also thought that the LCD-2 sounded very neutral and natural, much more than the HE-6. The clamping force was adequate for me and I didn't find the LCD-2 to sound dark or veiled at all.

HE-6: Also looked great with great build quality, just a tad below the LCD-2 IMHO. The sound is not as neutral as the LCD-2 but it does sound natural with a euphoric touch. I thought it made a perfect combo with the Lyr. They are quite heavy yet didn't feel uncomfortable on your head.

My preference is for the HE-6 at the moment but it's only an ever so small preference. In the end, I wouldn't mind owning both.
wink_face.gif

Talk about the baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaass. I need more bass impressions. ;~;

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #35 of 41
According to headphone.com's measurements, the HE-6 ramps up to a modest peak (+4dB, I'm guessing) around 35 Hz and then drops off below, whereas the LCD-2 is comparatively flat the whole way.

Unless you're listening to music with a lot of energy in the lowest half of the lowest audible octave, it's probably not an issue. Both the LCD-2 and HE-6 can rattle your head with bass quite easily.

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #36 of 41
According to headphone.com's measurements, the HE-6 ramps up to a modest peak (+4dB, I'm guessing) around 35 Hz and then drops off below, whereas the LCD-2 is comparatively flat the whole way.

Unless you're listening to music with a lot of energy in the lowest half of the lowest audible octave, it's probably not an issue. Both the LCD-2 and HE-6 can rattle your head with bass quite easily.

That's actually good to hear, though I'd still like to hear song comparisons. Still leaning toward the HE 6.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #37 of 41
They are hard to compare because they have such different amping requirements. I have both, but use different systems for the two headphones because of this. Usually my favorite is the one on my head at the time, but head-to-head comparisons between these two headphones are prohibitive and somewhat pointless even though they are both flagship orthos. I think the warmth of the LCD-2 makes the HE-6 the more neutral headphone, but I realize that this is completely subjective to my own experience and may or may not apply to anyone else's. If you want to compare flagship headphones directly, an HE-6 vs. K1000 "earspeaker" comparison would be more appropriate, as would an HD800 vs. LCD-2 headphone comparison (there's already a thread for that one).

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #38 of 41
Any comparison of HE-6 to LCD2-r2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back