HE-6 or HE-500 or HE-5LE
Jul 19, 2012 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

kskwerl

Headphoneus Supremus
So I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones, my issue is I have never heard the three headphones in the title. I had the LCD-2 rev.2 but had to sell them to help pay for expenses when I moved recently. I'm going to be saving on for my next pair which will prob take me 2 months or more. I really loved the LCD-2s bit I'd like to try onews of Hifimans cans. I'll be using the schiit Lyr and I've read the the Lyr can drive the HE-6s. So I loved the LCD-2s sound and I'm just looking for suggestions. Thanks guys

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 55
I love the HE-500 and would not suggest going with anything below that model.  The HE-500 is warm, neutral, and pleasant and remains my top headphones choice even over the LCD-3.

If you do end up with an HE-XXX headphone you may find it useful to thicken the headband about an inch or so depending on your head size.  The soundstage was really poor sounding until I lifted up the ear pieces a good inch or so.  That is when I discovered the true power of the HE-500.  They sounded way better than the HE-300 and HE-400 I was comparing at the time.

I hope someone else can chime in with a comparison of the other units for you, but rest assured the HE-500 is no slouch.

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 55
I love the HE-500 and would not suggest going with anything below that model.  The HE-500 is warm, neutral, and pleasant and remains my top headphones choice even over the LCD-3.

If you do end up with an HE-XXX headphone you may find it useful to thicken the headband about an inch or so depending on your head size.  The soundstage was really poor sounding until I lifted up the ear pieces a good inch or so.  That is when I discovered the true power of the HE-500.  They sounded way better than the HE-300 and HE-400 I was comparing at the time.

I hope someone else can chime in with a comparison of the other units for you, but rest assured the HE-500 is no slouch.

Thank yo very much for the feedback and the tip. Glad to hear you like them more than the LCD-3s. Can anyone tell me the main difference between the 500 and the 5LE? Is the 5LE consider to be under the 500 in terms of sound quality?

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 55
Jul 20, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 55
Quote:
Here, this should drive you crazy.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/617961/hifiman-he-5le-v-he-500

Thanks 
wink_face.gif

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 55
In short: I preferred the 5LE uniformly over the 500.  

The 5LE:
*are more neutral.
*have better frequency balance.
*are more coherent and have noticeably better treble extension (and maybe better LF extension as well).
*Dynamic textures are better as well. 
*Bigger, more 3-dimensional soundstage.  
*To my ears, the 5LE's midrange, though not as "sweet" as the 500's, has more clarity and purity.
*To me the 5LE  just sound more "complete" and "honest" than the 500. 

The 500:
*have a midbass emphasis (but no bulge, and with excellent mid-to-low midbass resolution).
*are tuned on the "warm" side.
*have a sweet tonality.  
*For me, their treble just falls short, lacking HF resolution/texture, resulting in loss of air and a deficit with respect to ambient information retrieval.  
*The 500, to me, seem to be adding something to the music.  
*To me they are a "fun" listen as opposed to an "involving" listen.

No experience--yet--with the HE-6, but I'm definitely heading in that direction after a/b-ing the 5LE and the 500.

Jul 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 55
Quote:
In short: I preferred the 5LE uniformly over the 500.  

The 5LE:
*are more neutral.
*have better frequency balance.
*are more coherent and have noticeably better treble extension (and maybe better LF extension as well).
*Dynamic textures are better as well. 
*Bigger, more 3-dimensional soundstage.  
*To my ears, the 5LE's midrange, though not as "sweet" as the 500's, has more clarity and purity.
*To me the 5LE  just sound more "complete" and "honest" than the 500. 

The 500:
*have a midbass emphasis (but no bulge, and with excellent mid-to-low midbass resolution).
*are tuned on the "warm" side.
*have a sweet tonality.  
*For me, their treble just falls short, lacking HF resolution/texture, resulting in loss of air and a deficit with respect to ambient information retrieval.  
*The 500, to me, seem to be adding something to the music.  
*To me they are a "fun" listen as opposed to an "involving" listen.

No experience--yet--with the HE-6, but I'm definitely heading in that direction after a/b-ing the 5LE and the 500.

Thank you for that, I'm still considering the HE-6s are well but from what I've been reading am leaning more and more toward the 500 but like I said still def considering the HE-6 but its a significant price difference. I want to make sure the price difference is worth it or if they are that much better for the price.

Jul 20, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 55
The he500 is a fantastic hp. The only real issue I had when I owned it was the comfort. It's a large hp and heavy. The he400 is really at the weight limit of what is comfortable for me. It didn't bother me unless I used it for more than two hours without a break. It has a beautiful sound signature when paired with the right amp.

Jul 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 55
Quote:
The he500 is a fantastic hp. The only real issue I had when I owned it was the comfort. It's a large hp and heavy. The he400 is really at the weight limit of what is comfortable for me. It didn't bother me unless I used it for more than two hours without a break. It has a beautiful sound signature when paired with the right amp.

Any idea how they compare to the LCD-2's? Those were pretty heavy but for some reason I found them rather comfortable

Jul 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #11 of 55
The weight is very similar between these two hp's. Most people comment that the he500 is a bit more comfortable for long term use. The sounds signatures are heavily contrasted though. The lcd2 is somewhat dark in presentation with remarkable bass for an ortho. The he500 is about the beautiful mids, great sound stage and wonderfully layered presentation of material. Both are very good, but it depends on what you are after and what you're willing to spend.  There is a big price hike to get the lcd2.

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #13 of 55
HE-500 and LCD-2 are very similar, better mids on 500 better bass on LCD-2. Do you like the bright-er or darker presentation.
The LCD-3 is far ahead both of them. It's better in every aspect, but of course, it's pricey.

The HE-6 is probably the best headphone that's non Stax. Takes proper amplification but once you're there it's pretty special.

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #14 of 55
Quote:
Though similar in weight to the LCD-2, the weight distribution of the HE-500 was much more comfortable for me.  Usually, I would lie down while wearing the Audeze.

Now when a hp gets too heavy to listen to while upright, it might be time to get something lighter. 
gs1000.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #15 of 55
Quote:
HE-500 and LCD-2 are very similar, better mids on 500 better bass on LCD-2. Do you like the bright-er or darker presentation.
The LCD-3 is far ahead both of them. It's better in every aspect, but of course, it's pricey.

The HE-6 is probably the best headphone that's non Stax. Takes proper amplification but once you're there it's pretty special.

Well I do have the Lyr and have read a few reviews that it goes very well with the HE-6, including a review from 6moons. The LCD-3 would take forever for me to save for as well. So I'm more than likely going to end up with the HE-6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back