HE-6 Loaner Program
Aug 16, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #346 of 903

Quote:
The HE-6 was under amped. The B22 doesn't have the power to properly drive the HE-6. On one side the headphone wasn't driven to it's full potential. On the other hand the strain that the HE-6 put on the B22 trying to be driven ultimately caused the amp damage. The T1 was merely the straw of the inevitable.

really???  have you personally diagnosed the amp yourself???   

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #347 of 903

Quote:
Hopefully using the Beta 22 did not damage the planar. As you Know Magnepan speakers need very high current and are fused in the event the amp is underpowered it would blow the fuse. Maggie also does not warranty their speakers if you fry them, I believe Fang stated specifically we need to use speaker amps to play these and that is what should be used. It is not hard to fry a planar or destroy it using a wrong amp.

Actually, frying speakers happens when you run an amp into clipping... while driving multi-way speakers.  The spurious trash from the clipped signal gets through the crossover networks and frys tweeters and mids because they're not designed to handle that much power, and in real life, there would never be that much energy inside the bandpass frequency of the crossover.

Since the headphone is a single driver device, free of crossovers and anomalies threrof, it should be fine, unless the output devices shorted to the rail and dumped the full rail to the outputs. The outputs of the Beta are Mosfet, which have a negative temperature coefficient, so I doubt that happened, but ya never know...

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #348 of 903

Quote:
The B22 wasn't designed to give what the HE-6 needs. This isn't that surprising. Fang was pretty explicit stating the HE-6 needs to be driven from a speaker amp. I discussed with several Head-Fi'ers about the B22 not being sufficient for the planar. I feel bad, but as great as the Beta22 is supposed to be, it can't do everything.

When are funeral services? Or will it get the Steve Austin treatment?

The B22 IS capable of driving speakers.  It's not a good idea to drive any flat out short circuit though created by unplugging a TRS plug while the output is active...Not a smart move.

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #349 of 903

Quote:
The HE-6 was under amped. The B22 doesn't have the power to properly drive the HE-6. On one side the headphone wasn't driven to it's full potential. On the other hand the strain that the HE-6 put on the B22 trying to be driven ultimately caused the amp damage. The T1 was merely the straw of the inevitable.

As for not discussing it further does a injustice to all the Head-Fi members and other members of the HE-6 Loaner Program who can learn a lesson and determine for themselves how to amp the planar.

Also, if we do a time check from the first people on the list it's obvious that the program has moved slow overall. Impressions have also come slowly after, speaking for the east coast, I left my write ups.

I do not see how driving the HE-6 could have possibly stressed the B22 in any way whatsoever.  The HE-6 is a higher impedance than any normal speaker load, which the B22 is designed to drive.  It doesn't make sense.  Shorting the output, however by inserting and removing the TRS plug while the amp was actively playing something could have shorted the output on the amp.  That's not good.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #350 of 903
The Beta 22 seemed more powerful than my ZDT, and at least as powerful as my SAC amp.  In my opinion, driving the HE-6 did not damage the amp, but unplugging a phone with the amp turned up might do it.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #351 of 903
There's no way that the HE-6 damaged the amp because it didn't have enough power to drive the headphones.

The [size=10pt]β[/size]22 has more than enough power on tap to drive the HE-6, as well as every other headphone on the market. I drive the K1000 with mine, and have ample power on hand.

There is a well known issue with plugging a TRS jack into the [size=10pt]β[/size]22 with any volume at all. In fact I damaged mine for the second time with the volume set at zero. It's wisely suggested to turn the amp off before plugging TRS terminated headphones into it.

Mine now has no TRS jack whatsoever, as I only have need for a 4 pin XLR in any case. Problem solved.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #352 of 903
I don't suppose it could just be a blown fuse...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #353 of 903

Quote:
I don't suppose it could just be a blown fuse...
rolleyes.gif

Well, on another forum yesterday Asr was told to check the fuse, but I haven't been back there to see what he found.

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #354 of 903
Hey if I'm wrong I'm fully willing to admit being wrong. I'm not even ashamed to be wrong. If the B22 wasn't up to the task of driving the amp and was forced into clipping I could see this as being a failure issue. If I'm wrong I will concede the point.

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #355 of 903
Yup, the B22 has HUGE reserves of power.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #357 of 903
If the B22 can handle loudspeakers that are less efficient than the HE-6 and deliver room filling sound, I'm guessing it's more than up to the task.

Lets not belabor the point on the B22's abilities with regard to power. It is unfounded.

Next topic, please.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #358 of 903
this loaner program may be moving slow when compared to unrealistic expectations.  But it is running right on time when compared to other loaner programs and the real world where unexpected things happen and things like shipping take time.  Just wanted to say that before this thread dive bombs.  We're all lucky to be a part of this however it happens and we deserve nothing.  We're not worthy.

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #359 of 903
Making speculations and accusations based on absolutely nothing but fantasizing, then you owe somebody an apology.

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #360 of 903
So what are you guys saying, that impatience is not a virtue?
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back