HE-6 Loaner Program
Aug 13, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #316 of 903
To elaborate on that post, the HE-6 represents the best in Orthodynamic headphones.  All the advantages of the Electrostatics and Dynamics, without their limitations.

If I had to keep only one pair of full sized headphones, it would be the HE-6.  It is the best balanced headphone I've heard.  High end detail, speed, frequency response, and dynamics.

The bass response is simply phenomenal.  You really have to hear it to believe it.  Try some test tones too.  I can just barely hear/feel bass as low as 12Hz with the HE-6.  It's quite the head shaking at 50Hz, and even still down to 20Hz which is where it starts to roll off significantly.

And for the Smyth Research Realiser, it's a perfect match.  It's open enough to preserve the "illusion".  (closed headphones and IEMs cause an occlusion effect, a.k.a stuffed head feel, that detract somewhat from the experience).  Has the frequency response to handle the huge dynamic range of sound that the Realiser puts out.   Also, the HE-6 does not have phasing issues that can negatively effect the Realiser's output.  I had some issues with a pair of LCD-2's at CanJam with Realiser demo tracks I had.  I'd have to audition an LCD-2 at home to be absolutely sure.  But if it's the same as what I heard at CanJam, I would absolutely not recommend the LCD-2 for use with the Realiser.

-Ed

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #318 of 903
Thanks Ed for your review.
It's interesting what you're saying about the Audeze LCD-2.

I ordered them, and should probably receive 'em in september.

But today, after your review about the perfect match with the Smyth Realiser, my eyes are totally on the HE-6.

Can't wait to listen them
darthsmile.gif

Quote:
To elaborate on that post, the HE-6 represents the best in Orthodynamic headphones.  All the advantages of the Electrostatics and Dynamics, without their limitations.

If I had to keep only one pair of full sized headphones, it would be the HE-6.  It is the best balanced headphone I've heard.  High end detail, speed, frequency response, and dynamics.

The bass response is simply phenomenal.  You really have to hear it to believe it.  Try some test tones too.  I can just barely hear/feel bass as low as 12Hz with the HE-6.  It's quite the head shaking at 50Hz, and even still down to 20Hz which is where it starts to roll off significantly.

And for the Smyth Research Realiser, it's a perfect match.  It's open enough to preserve the "illusion".  (closed headphones and IEMs cause an occlusion effect, a.k.a stuffed head feel, that detract somewhat from the experience).  Has the frequency response to handle the huge dynamic range of sound that the Realiser puts out.   Also, the HE-6 does not have phasing issues that can negatively effect the Realiser's output.  I had some issues with a pair of LCD-2's at CanJam with Realiser demo tracks I had.  I'd have to audition an LCD-2 at home to be absolutely sure.  But if it's the same as what I heard at CanJam, I would absolutely not recommend the LCD-2 for use with the Realiser.

-Ed

Aug 13, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #319 of 903
I'm not saying the LCD-2 sounds terrible.  Far from it.  But if it has a phasing issue, it's a poor match for the Realiser, since it can adversely effect it's sound quality.

A major factor in why I prefer the HE-6 to the LCD-2 is ergonomics and comfort.  The HE-6 is much more comfortable to wear.  I can wear it for hours on end without any discomfort.  I have a pretty large head, so it fits comfortably.  The memory foam in the headband is really nice, and works well.  The clamping pressure is just right. Just enough to keep it from falling off of your head easily, but since it's cirmcumaural it stays on your head pretty well anyways.   Leather ear pads get pretty hot and sweaty to wear in warmer weather, so the HE-6 wins in that department as well.

The only real issue I see with the HE-6's headband design is that it's too big.  Funny, because having a headphone be too large in headband adjustment is very rare.  My wife has a much smaller head than mine, and she could not get the HE-6 to fit.  She had to wrap a hand towel around the headband to get it to fit.  Even at the smallest adjustment of the HE-6, it's pretty large.  For my, the ideal adjustment is about 30% from the smallest position.

There are a few rough edges on the headband hangers near where they screw into the ear cups.  They are kind of pointy, when they could be rounded nicely.  They're not sharp, but they could be finished nicer.

Otherwise, the fit and finish are top notch.  The leather is fitted so precisely.  Funny thing is that the preproduction prototypes at CanJam were leather wrapped, but were thought to be vinyl rather than real leather because they were wrapped so perfectly.  It was because it was a fine black nappa leather grain.  The production HE-6 has dark coffee brown leather with a more coarse grain.  It's slightly thicker, and is more obvious that it's real leather.

-Ed

Aug 14, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #321 of 903

I thought this rumor has been cleared.
Quote:
I'm not saying the LCD-2 sounds terrible.  Far from it.  But if it has a phasing issue,

Aug 15, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #323 of 903
I'm very disappointed.

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #326 of 903
No, with certain head-fiers clinging to obvious misperceptions.  I expect the HE-6s to be definitely a nice listen!

Aug 15, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #327 of 903
A few people at the Colorado meet yesterday liked the HE-5, HE-5 LE or HE-6 more than the LCD-2, and a few people liked the LCD-2 more (or the HD800, or O2, etc).  I really think a lot of this depends on personal tastes.  After yesterday I've decided it's not really about which is ultimately better, but which one you enjoy more when you use it.

Aug 15, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #328 of 903
From the impressions I'm seeing the LCD2 is more fatiguing than the HE-6. I'm starting to think I need to be on the side of less fatiguing than not, even if it comes at a price of accuracy, though people often say stats are the equalizer since they can deliver detail effortlessly which is less tiring.

I've heard several stats before, but only at meets so I can't comment on how they would react with longer sessions.

Aug 15, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #329 of 903
It honestly has to do a with the amp and the source you are pairing the LCD-2 with..likewise for any other cans.
And more importantly what kind of sound signature people tend to like, a more tilted high freq response (HE5, HE5-LE) or a more flatter response.(LCD-2).

To me the Hifiman orthos get fatiguing after a while due to their tilted high freq response. My ears would never ever find the LCD-2 fatiguing. Too many factors in play, pick your flavor.

Aug 15, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #330 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict  
" A few people at the Colorado meet yesterday liked the HE-5, HE-5 LE or HE-6 more than the LCD-2, and a few people liked the LCD-2 more (or the HD800, or O2, etc).  I really think a lot of this depends on personal tastes.  After yesterday I've decided it's not really about which is ultimately better, but which one you enjoy more when you use it."

This is pretty much the consensus and conclusion I came up with. I didn't use the Stax as an example (although there was an O2 at the NJ meet) but the T1, HD800, LCD-2 and the HE-6. All four are excellent top-tier headphones. It's all going to come down to personal choice and minor details. I've had the fortune to listen to all four (five including the O2) and can say all of them are deserving and excellent candidates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back