HE-6 Loaner Program
Aug 15, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #333 of 903
West coast pair is currently in Colorado. They made an appearance at the Colorado meet yesterday. I think ASR is the assigned loanee at present.

Aug 15, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #334 of 903

Quote:
A few people at the Colorado meet yesterday liked the HE-5, HE-5 LE or HE-6 more than the LCD-2, and a few people liked the LCD-2 more (or the HD800, or O2, etc).  I really think a lot of this depends on personal tastes.  After yesterday I've decided it's not really about which is ultimately better, but which one you enjoy more when you use it.

Good stuff!

Aug 15, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #335 of 903

West coast pair is currently in Colorado. They made an appearance at the Colorado meet yesterday. I think ASR is the assigned loanee at present.

I think Asr is done with the HE-6 after we killed his Beta 22 at the CO meet this weekend. I got to try the HE-6 on his Beta 22 before it died, and it wasn't as good as when using them on the Yamaha 55-watt receiver. My ZDT might have also been a better match than the Beta 22, but it was a single ended model and I don't know if it makes a difference. It just sounded a little sterile with the beta 22, although it had plenty of power.

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #336 of 903

Quote:
I think Asr is done with the HE-6 after we killed his Beta 22 at the CO meet this weekend. I got to try the HE-6 on his Beta 22 before it died, and it wasn't as good as when using them on the Yamaha 55-watt receiver. My ZDT might have also been a better match than the Beta 22, but it was a single ended model and I don't know if it makes a difference. It just sounded a little sterile with the beta 22, although it had plenty of power.

How did this happen?

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #338 of 903
The B22 wasn't designed to give what the HE-6 needs. This isn't that surprising. Fang was pretty explicit stating the HE-6 needs to be driven from a speaker amp. I discussed with several Head-Fi'ers about the B22 not being sufficient for the planar. I feel bad, but as great as the Beta22 is supposed to be, it can't do everything.

When are funeral services? Or will it get the Steve Austin treatment?

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #339 of 903

Quote:
Don't know, he just found that it had lost power mid-meet and wouldn't turn back on.  

i'm only speculating, but pulling out the TRS plug with music playing and volume up can fry the output MOSFETs.

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #340 of 903

Quote:
i'm only speculating, but pulling out the TRS plug with music playing and volume up can fry the output MOSFETs.

That doesn't sound like a quick or cheap fix
frown.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #341 of 903
So what I'm hearing you guys say is that it wasn't trying to drive the HE-6 that did the B22 in, it was user error that killed the B22?  Not surprised.  So sorry.

Aug 16, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #342 of 903

Quote:
So what I'm hearing you guys say is that it wasn't trying to drive the HE-6 that did the B22 in, it was user error that killed the B22?  Not surprised.  So sorry.

Again, we don't know what happened.  Steve walked up while someone was trying to use it and found the power light was off with no sound, and it wouldn't turn on.  Giving it a rest overnight didn't help.

Aug 16, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #343 of 903

Quote:

Hopefully using the Beta 22 did not damage the planar. As you Know Magnepan speakers need very high current and are fused in the event the amp is underpowered it would blow the fuse. Maggie also does not warranty their speakers if you fry them, I believe Fang stated specifically we need to use speaker amps to play these and that is what should be used. It is not hard to fry a planar or destroy it using a wrong amp.

Aug 16, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #344 of 903
HE-6 impressions:

- Equipment: Plinius CD-101 (CDP) and Ayre QB-9 (USB DAC), B22 headphone amp

Caveat: due to atypical circumstances last week I was not able to put in much listening on the HE-6 while I had it, only about 2 nights' worth of listening plus about 10-15 minutes at a local meet that I organized. Hence, these are incomplete impressions.

I will start first by stating that I got interested in the HE-6 to find out if it might be a headphone worth adding to my collection to hopefully replace two or more of my other headphones. Even despite the limited amount of listening time, I can still conclude that the HE-6 is not for me and I will not be buying one for a few reasons: (1) I could not get a good fit even at the smallest setting (as my head is on the small side), (2) adding an integrated or power amp to my headphone system would complicate things too much, and (3) the sound wasn't what I was hoping for.

I did not get to listen to all the music types (let alone CDs) that I usually go through for any kind of serious listening, and even at the aforementioned local meet where I was able to quickly access different music selections (with all of it stored on my laptop PC in FLAC), I was only able to hear short sections of tracks due to time.

That said, I came away from the HE-6 thinking that it's overall a fine-sounding headphone, and there are probably plenty of people who would like it, but ultimately I did not. The one headphone it reminded me of was the HE-5 which I previously owned (as it probably should). The impulse response was acceptably fast, it had a nice deep bass, and clean/clear treble. However I found too much emphasis in the treble for it to sound ideal for classical music - violins specifically, as there was too much sheening on the string sound and this did NOT sound like it was part of the recording, it sounded imposed. In comparison, the only headphones I've heard that render violins with a realistically natural sound are the Senn HD600, Grado HP1000, and Stax OII MKI (and the JH Audio JH13, to include IEMs). The treble also did not have quite the same balance as the Qualia 010 - the Qualia was actually "brighter" with more tilt towards the treble but did not have the kind of sheening I was getting with the HE-6.

I thought prog rock and metal (Porcupine Tree, A Perfect Circle, In Flames, Megadeth, Symphony X, Dissection) played to the HE-6's strengths more, as this treble wasn't as distracting with either genre.

Quote:
Who has the west coast loner pair right now?  It feels like this program is moving at the speed of a snail and people are hanging onto them much longer than originally stated by Fang

How about you develop a sense of time before you make another statement about feeling like the loaner program is moving at the speed of a snail and accusing people of holding onto the HE-6 longer than 7 days. I posted in this thread on 8/9 (exactly 7 days ago) stating I got the headphones that day, and I just sent them out today.

Quote:
Hopefully using the Beta 22 did not damage the planar.

To set the record straight on my B22, the malfunction had nothing to do with the HE-6. I used the HE-6 with the B22 before the meet and at the meet and the amp was working just fine. At the point in time when I noticed the B22 had died, the listener wasn't even using the HE-6 (rather, the Beyerdynamic T1). No one needs to comment further on this subject, as I'm looking to get the amp fixed with the help of another forum.

Aug 16, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #345 of 903
The HE-6 was under amped. The B22 doesn't have the power to properly drive the HE-6. On one side the headphone wasn't driven to it's full potential. On the other hand the strain that the HE-6 put on the B22 trying to be driven ultimately caused the amp damage. The T1 was merely the straw of the inevitable.

As for not discussing it further does a injustice to all the Head-Fi members and other members of the HE-6 Loaner Program who can learn a lesson and determine for themselves how to amp the planar.

Also, if we do a time check from the first people on the list it's obvious that the program has moved slow overall. Impressions have also come slowly after, speaking for the east coast, I left my write ups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back