HE-6 Loaner Program
Aug 17, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #361 of 903

Quote:
So what are you guys saying, that impatience is not a virtue?
atsmile.gif

It is if you're an ebay seller and I'm the one hovering over the BUY IT NOW button
tongue.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #362 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jian  
" Making speculations and accusations based on absolutely nothing but fantasizing, then you owe somebody an apologize."

I think I did apologize. LoL

Aug 17, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #363 of 903

Quote:
Actually, frying speakers happens when you run an amp into clipping... while driving multi-way speakers.  The spurious trash from the clipped signal gets through the crossover networks and frys tweeters and mids because they're not designed to handle that much power, and in real life, there would never be that much energy inside the bandpass frequency of the crossover.

Since the headphone is a single driver device, free of crossovers and anomalies threrof, it should be fine, unless the output devices shorted to the rail and dumped the full rail to the outputs. The outputs of the Beta are Mosfet, which have a negative temperature coefficient, so I doubt that happened, but ya never know...

Also an underpowered amp will clip on the Maggies. As it reaches it maximum output power it will start to clip. I do have any issue with the Maggies with my amp. I also heard the HE6 with underpowered tube amp and in my opinion it congested the sound stage and the can did not perform any where near its capability. With the 316BEE is performed admirably.

Aug 18, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #364 of 903
The only time I've gotten clipping is when the line voltage is too hot for the amp to deal with, or when the amp is underpowered for the speakers. And I thought it was well known that speakers blow far more often from under-powering them than they do from too much power.

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #365 of 903

Quote:
The only time I've gotten clipping is when the line voltage is too hot for the amp to deal with, or when the amp is underpowered for the speakers. And I thought it was well known that speakers blow far more often from under-powering them than they do from too much power.

I would imagine that a brown out (under voltage) might cause your amp to clip, but over voltage would not.

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #366 of 903
That's another really good reason to run off of battery/UPS systems.

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #367 of 903
East Update:
Fang was kind enough to loan them to me after CanFEST this past Saturday. I should be ready to ship them to the next individual this coming Monday, keeping things pretty much on schedule. I'm comparing them to some of the other cans in my stable including the HD650 (balanced), Grado HP2i (Balanced), Jade, K1K and OIIMk2.

My preliminary impressions include two conclusions:
1) They LOVE power. I tried them on my 307A which Fang said was not adequate to drive them and he was right. Using my Aragon Palladium monoblocs (most recent version) made them really show their stuff, with probably the best low end I have encountered in headphones. Mids and highs were also exceptional with great detail without being fatiguing.
2) These are EXCEPTIONAL headphones and are something very special. As stated by others, there is no one best but the HE 6 is at the top tier.
Hmmm, how about a group purchase arrangement?

More later.

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #368 of 903
West Update: HE-6 arrived a few minutes ago here.  I will keep them exactly one week, so I will send them on to the next person (monsieurguzel) next Thursday.  Will get to start listening tonight!

Aug 19, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #369 of 903
Finaly it is at your hand.Couldn't wait to read some good stuff.

Aug 19, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #370 of 903
I've been very impressed by them so far. I agree with DannyB - exceptional, indeed.

Details in a few days...

Aug 19, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #371 of 903

Quote:
East Update:
Fang was kind enough to loan them to me after CanFEST this past Saturday. I should be ready to ship them to the next individual this coming Monday, keeping things pretty much on schedule. I'm comparing them to some of the other cans in my stable including the HD650 (balanced), Grado HP2i (Balanced), Jade, K1K and OIIMk2.

My preliminary impressions include two conclusions:
1) They LOVE power. I tried them on my 307A which Fang said was not adequate to drive them and he was right. Using my Aragon Palladium monoblocs (most recent version) made them really show their stuff, with probably the best low end I have encountered in headphones. Mids and highs were also exceptional with great detail without being fatiguing.
2) These are EXCEPTIONAL headphones and are something very special. As stated by others, there is no one best but the HE 6 is at the top tier.
Hmmm, how about a group purchase arrangement?

More later.

I'm glad to hear you were able to console yourself after the hOOter girls had left, Danny...so it was you that was responsible for that regionwide brownout.  Sounds like it was worth it....
L3000.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #372 of 903

Quote:
I've been very impressed by them so far. I agree with DannyB - exceptional, indeed.

Details in a few days...

Rob: Please also compare to your LCD-2s....interesting ortho shoot out!

Thanks!

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #373 of 903
Definitely will compare to LCD-2 and HE-5LE.

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #374 of 903

Quote:
Definitely will compare to LCD-2 and HE-5LE.

Thanks.

Shoot out at the OK Coral...and Fang brought out the big guns (wrt the LCD-2s):

Quote:
Nankai said:

Color or spectrum is the concept of relativity, and white color is not a real color. You might feel something is certain color when you get used of another color and assume it is zero color. On the other hand, I believe that your ref headphones have a lot of coloration: way too close soundstage, dark upper high and way too bright lower high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back