HE-6 Headphones are available now
Nov 6, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #31 of 75

Quote:
As long as you don't have an amp that outputs more than 70 w.p.c. then you won't need the box.

*Edit- Fang just called me back as I was typing this (I called him yesterday), and he told me that the impedance box and speaker cables will be ready in one month and the price will be +/-$100 give or take a Heineken.
In the meantime, the prodo HE-6 can be run directly out of any headphone amp that has a decent output. No portables, but certainly any amp that has minimal cujones (sp?).

We recommend headphone amp which can provide 1.5 to 2w per channel at 32 ohm.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Nov 6, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #32 of 75

Quote:

I'm not clear on how the addition of a resistor would eliminate hum.  Even  mismatched impedances will not CAUSE hum, it can only be generated in the power supply rectifier circuitry as unfiltered ripple or be the result an external ground loop. 

I drive all of my balanced headphones directly from the speaker terminals of my Virtue 2.2 and have zero hum, nor did I have any hum when driving them from the speaker terminals of my Signature 30.2.  

wow.... that would be bad if the problem is an external ground loop, I already sent back the LCD-2's. 

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #33 of 75

Quote:
Thanks for the spell check. Is that the left one, the right one, or both 
smile.gif
 ?

I used my Dared 300B quasi mono blocks which put out 13 wpc with no hum, and some seriously excellent sound, in all of the registers.
I also used them in every headphone amp that I own (non-portable, and the only one that wasn't a good fit was the Valhalla.

The Valhalla is a real nice amp, especially for the money, but i felt it's not a good match for the needs of the ortho, including the lCD-2's.

thanks immtbiker, I doubt if I'll have the patients to wait for the Head-Direct speaker cable... I'll have to get one made
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #34 of 75

As i can understand i can use HE-6 without impedance-box if the amp is weaker than 70w! Here and there i can read that you should buy and if you can use a nice ordinary amp and connect them to the speaker taps. If i´m not have any amp today maybe i should look for something that works without the impedance-box. So, maybe this little tube amp can be something to connect straight into HE-6.
Maybe someone here that had the oportunity to listen to it before or can try with HE-6 and can comment the sound. Good review here with ordinary speakers and the price tag is very nice! http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/yarland/yarland.html

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #35 of 75

Quote:

As i can understand i can use HE-6 without impedance-box if the amp is weaker than 70w! Here and there i can read that you should buy and if you can use a nice ordinary amp and connect them to the speaker taps. If i´m not have any amp today maybe i should look for something that works without the impedance-box. So, maybe this little tube amp can be something to connect straight into HE-6.
Maybe someone here that had the oportunity to listen to it before or can try with HE-6 and can comment the sound. Good review here with ordinary speakers and the price tag is very nice! http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/yarland/yarland.html

I have had excellent success driving my HE-5LE's and my K340s directly from the speaker terminals of my 40wpc Virtue One and Virtue 2.2 amplifiers.  They deliver superb performance at a very reasonable price point.   (virtueaudio.com)

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #36 of 75

Quote:
Couldn't it depend on the grounding scheme of the headphone, whether or not it will hum when driven from speaker terminals?

I guess I can find out through a process of elimination - if the HE6's don't hum, it may have something to do with the LCD2 - if the HE6's hum, it may have something to do with the Leben.

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #37 of 75

Quote:
As long as you don't have an amp that outputs more than 70 w.p.c. then you won't need the box.

*Edit- Fang just called me back as I was typing this (I called him yesterday), and he told me that the impedance box and speaker cables will be ready in one month and the price will be +/-$100 give or take a Heineken.
In the meantime, the prodo HE-6 can be run directly out of any headphone amp that has a decent output. No portables, but certainly any amp that has minimal cujones (sp?).

Quote:

You two are close but, ... it is spelled COJONES! 
wink.gif

Quote:
Great! The Leben puts out 15w at 4/6/8 ohms (switch selectable).

Have you tried the HE-6 driven directly from speaker taps?  Is there a hum?

I drove the LCD-2's directly from Leben speaker taps. The good, I thought it sounded better and the volume headroom was greatly increased - the bad, there was an audible hum.  The hum wasn't terrible, but bad enough. When I ask Yoshi (Leben) about it he replied, "A resistor is applied between the output transformer and the headphone [size=medium]output to cope with headphone application, therefore, if you use a headphone directly from speaker output, there should be noise or hum. (It will not damage the amp, but is not a proper application)."[/size]
I don't understand how all this works, but I assume the resistor is needed because of the impedance mismatch - speaker output 8 ohms and headphone load 50 ohms - but that's just my uneducated guess.

Quote:
I guess I can find out through a process of elimination - if the HE6's don't hum, it may have something to do with the LCD2 - if the HE6's hum, it may have something to do with the Leben.

I ran the production HE6 out of a Marantz 2220 vintage receiver rated at 20wpc and a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 LFP-V Edition and I did not hear any hum. Cheers!

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #38 of 75

Quote:
You two are close but, ... it is spelled COJONES! 
wink.gif

Whoops, I thought we were talking about the Spanish word for pants, lol; yeah that's the ticket 
wink_face.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #39 of 75
Never mind, I found my receipt.

Quote:
HE-5/HE-5LE Customer Discount
Previous HE-5LE or HE-5 original customers can get $100 refund. To claim this refund, please email your original HE-5 or HE-5LE receipt, and the HE-6 on line receipt (email from paypal or googlecheckout) to head.direct@gmail.com. Two receipts must have same name and email address. We will do $100 refund after we got your two receipts.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #40 of 75
Print a copy of the invoice from the head direct site?

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #41 of 75
Anyone have a shipping notice yet? If this isn't a pre-order I'm not sure why they aren't shipped out yet.

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #43 of 75
I believe after receiving the request for phone number, they are on their way very shortly thereafter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back