HE-6 Headphones are available now
Nov 5, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #16 of 75

Quote:
As long as you don't have an amp that outputs more than 70 w.p.c. then you won't need the box.

*Edit- Fang just called me back as I was typing this (I called him yesterday), and he told me that the impedance box and speaker cables will be ready in one month and the price will be +/-$100 give or take a Heineken.
In the meantime, the prodo HE-6 can be run directly out of any headphone amp that has a decent output. No portables, but certainly any amp that has minimal cujones (sp?).

Great! The Leben puts out 15w at 4/6/8 ohms (switch selectable).

Have you tried the HE-6 driven directly from speaker taps?  Is there a hum?

I drove the LCD-2's directly from Leben speaker taps. The good, I thought it sounded better and the volume headroom was greatly increased - the bad, there was an audible hum.  The hum wasn't terrible, but bad enough. When I ask Yoshi (Leben) about it he replied, "A resistor is applied between the output transformer and the headphone [size=medium]output to cope with headphone application, therefore, if you use a headphone directly from speaker output, there should be noise or hum. (It will not damage the amp, but is not a proper application)."[/size]
I don't understand how all this works, but I assume the resistor is needed because of the impedance mismatch - speaker output 8 ohms and headphone load 50 ohms - but that's just my uneducated guess.

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #17 of 75
Has anybody gotten a shipped notice yet? I received an email last night requesting my phone number as required for the express delivery, which I immediately replied to but I haven't heard back yet.

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #19 of 75

Quote:

I drove the LCD-2's directly from Leben speaker taps. The good, I thought it sounded better and the volume headroom was greatly increased - the bad, there was an audible hum.  The hum wasn't terrible, but bad enough. When I ask Yoshi (Leben) about it he replied, "A resistor is applied between the output transformer and the headphone [size=medium]output to cope with headphone application, therefore, if you use a headphone directly from speaker output, there should be noise or hum. (It will not damage the amp, but is not a proper application)."[/size]
I don't understand how all this works, but I assume the resistor is needed because of the impedance mismatch - speaker output 8 ohms and headphone load 50 ohms - but that's just my uneducated guess.

I'm not clear on how the addition of a resistor would eliminate hum.  Even  mismatched impedances will not CAUSE hum, it can only be generated in the power supply rectifier circuitry as unfiltered ripple or be the result an external ground loop. 

I drive all of my balanced headphones directly from the speaker terminals of my Virtue 2.2 and have zero hum, nor did I have any hum when driving them from the speaker terminals of my Signature 30.2.  

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #20 of 75
Couldn't it depend on the grounding scheme of the headphone, whether or not it will hum when driven from speaker terminals?

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #22 of 75

Quote:
Has anybody gotten a shipped notice yet? I received an email last night requesting my phone number as required for the express delivery, which I immediately replied to but I haven't heard back yet.

I've not gotten any emails, except the google checkout receipt.

The link in the checkout receipt states my order has not shipped yet.

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #23 of 75

Quote:
It would be interesting to see if RSA Protector is capable of driving HE-6.  I have been using it to drive HE-5LE with no problem at all.  

I'd say if when using it with the HE-5LE, if you have another 20% or more left on the dial of quality sound, you just might be able to do it. If not, it likely won't be loud enough.

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #24 of 75
Did you read the Six Moons preview/review?

"an upgraded magnetic structure in the drivers brought the efficiency to about the same as the HE-5 LE. You still need a good and strong headphone amplifier but no longer an amplifier designed for speakers to get the best from an HE-6."

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #25 of 75
Yes, but they haven't actually heard the phones. I was judging the ~20% estimate based on comments of those who have heard both, such as HeadphoneAddict, who reported a need for further turning of the dial for the production HE-6 compared to the HE-5LE.

If you didn't know, the protector is a portable battery amp.

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #26 of 75
That quote was from Sieveking; wasn't he in charge of the EU loaner program, and one of the first to be sent the production model? But yes I see your point about other comments.

From what I can gather the iBasso Toucan has a bit more power than the Protector and features balanced in as well as out, it may be better suited for the HE-6 then.

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #27 of 75
Oh, deceptive quoting!

Link the 6moons then quote from somewhere else
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #28 of 75

Quote:

Thanks for the spell check. Is that the left one, the right one, or both 
smile.gif
 ?

Quote:

I used my Dared 300B quasi mono blocks which put out 13 wpc with no hum, and some seriously excellent sound, in all of the registers.
I also used them in every headphone amp that I own (non-portable, and the only one that wasn't a good fit was the Valhalla.

The Valhalla is a real nice amp, especially for the money, but i felt it's not a good match for the needs of the ortho, including the lCD-2's.

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #29 of 75

Quote:
Oh, deceptive quoting!

Link the 6moons then quote from somewhere else
tongue_smile.gif

No, Six Moons quoted "Sieveking Sound"; it's in the linked article 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back