= HE-560 Enhancement Mod (v1.5) =
Nov 13, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #91 of 342
Been trying out a Focus-A variant of the mod recently (so basically Steps 1 and 3, foregoing Step 2 by using stock Focus-As), I quite dig the sound too, a bit less engaging and bass is a little less fun, but more effortless and relaxing to listen to.

Also Focus-A pads are definitely more comfortable still.

Nov 16, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #92 of 342
I saw some shelf-lining materials today while browsing for better meshes for the grill mod at the hardware store, and I thought... well, why not?

So I attempted to do the rest of the mods and see if the shelving would make any improvement.

Luckily, Hifiman let me keep my old Focus Pads, so I had 2 pairs, and I sacrificed one pair for the purpose of the mod.

My impressions are as follow:

Bass: there is... more there. I think this quantity is as a result of the ear pads seal mod and the regrilling mod (steps 3-4) more so than of the other 2 steps. Just to be clear, I did the regrilling mod (step 4) before doing anything else, and doing step 3 was simple enough, so I tested steps 3 and 4 first to be clear. Now... I think there is a marked improvement in bass decay and tautness after doing... step 1. But anyhow, bass improvement is real after doing all 4 steps. Dang if I had never heard better bass. This good a bass should be illegal.

Midrange: after steps 1 and 2, midrange becomes thinner and faster, but also a lot more transparent. I think this is because step 2 adds more air for better venting, and step 1 absorbs excess decay and reverb, so the end result is a fast and clean midrange. I think by removing the filter cloth in step 2, there is a slight but audible reduction of lower midrange warmth. Adding more air by enlarging the holes in the ear pads also slightly boosted upper midrange (6K?) from what I can hear, so that adds more to the thinness.

Treble: airy, and much less effortless as a result of step 4. Step 1 helps with decay and is basically that last 5% that's necessary for the HE-560 to sound pretty much on par with a Stax. I've just heard the SR-009 very recently, so at least from memory, I think the HE-560 is very close to it.

Soundstage: step 4 causes the soundstage to become much more 3D, much better positional information, and also much more expansive, immersive. If you're just after soundstaging, I think step 4 alone will do it.

So... verdict? I think step 4 did most of the grunt work. The other steps are just there to squeeze the last 5% out. As noted, I think the midrange got thinner as a result of step 2. It sounded more "Stax-like", but I didn't quite like it, so I decided to use the stock ear pads but still with the shelf-liner from step 1 (so basically adding shelf-liner and leaving it at that). Somehow, it still absorbs a good amount of decay, and the filtering cloth plus lack of bigger holes in the ear pads allow for a thicker, fuller, more rounded midrange with more lower mid grunge. And yet the bass and treble are still excellent.

Congrats, Jerg! I finally get to hear all of the improvements. I decided to scale back a bit and essentially "reverted" step 2, but for what it's worth, I think the improvements from step 1 and 4 are audible, and very appreciable. Can't wait to compare my HE-560 to the Stax SR-009 again in the near future! And I'm thinking it'll be a close battle.

Nov 16, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #93 of 342
Is it normal that the shelf liner isn't completely flat and taut after being screwed in under the baffle? I tried to stretch mine out before screwing the baffle down, but it just wouldn't stay completely taut, so now it bumps up a little. Not a comfort issue or anything, but I wonder if it has any effect on the sound. Thoughts, anyone?

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #95 of 342
  Is it normal that the shelf liner isn't completely flat and taut after being screwed in under the baffle? I tried to stretch mine out before screwing the baffle down, but it just wouldn't stay completely taut, so now it bumps up a little. Not a comfort issue or anything, but I wonder if it has any effect on the sound. Thoughts, anyone?

Yeah, I'd say it's normal.  You don't want it too flappy, but I couldn't get mine taut the two times I did it.  If it bothers you, and if you're willing to experiment, you could use something seriously sticky like carpet tape (it's thin enough, so that shouldn't be a problem) to adhere the shelf liner to the cup.  Having worked a lot with carpet tape, I can tell you it will be tedious to cut small enough strips to fit on the cups, but it's definitely doable.  I'd put the tape on the cups, and then carefully lay the shelf liner down.  The liner is a little stretchy to begin with, but I imagine tape would help.

You could, of course, try plain double-stick tape, though the stuff I have is pretty weak, and I can see it not really holding the shelf liner in place.  Cheap tape may be enough to hold it down until you place the baffle over it, which is the real anchor, of course.

HTH, and do report back, if you give it a go.

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #96 of 342

What works for me (because I had that issue initially too when I was just playing around) is to cut the discs a bit larger than what's needed to tuck precisely within the space under the baffles, so that it tucks a bit between the baffle, and the thin foam ring under the baffle.

That and another application detail is that when you do secure the liner disc under the baffle, hold the disc against the driver at the very center (not at the sides), so that as you screw down the baffle again, the edges would orientate themselves to keep the center mark flat against the driver, rather than bulging out.

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #97 of 342
Thanks for the advice jerg and ThurstonX! I'm kind of lazy to remove my pads again at this point, so unless it affects sound quality, I think I'm just going to leave it as it is. Do you guys think it will?

Nov 16, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #98 of 342
Thanks for the advice jerg and ThurstonX! I'm kind of lazy to remove my pads again at this point, so unless it affects sound quality, I think I'm just going to leave it as it is. Do you guys think it will?

If it sounds good, don't sweat it.  Mine sound great, and I wouldn't want to deal with removing an re-sticking the pads.

Nov 21, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #100 of 342
Hey guys,
Where did you purchase the shelf liner material?
I cannot seem to find it.
What about the foam for step 3?
Where all can I purchase the mesh for the regrilling mod?
Thanks in advance!

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #101 of 342
Shelf liner
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TGOAHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Foam
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EN9934/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #102 of 342
Hey guys,
Where did you purchase the shelf liner material?
I cannot seem to find it.
What about the foam for step 3?
Where all can I purchase the mesh for the regrilling mod?
Thanks in advance!

Shelf liner
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TGOAHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Foam
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EN9934/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #103 of 342
Shelf liner
Foam

LOL @ the shipping cost for the foam.  You can buy a sheet of Creatology from Michaels for about $1.  If you can't walk in to a store, try their site.

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #104 of 342

LOL @ the shipping cost for the foam.  You can buy a sheet of Creatology from Michaels for about $1.  If you can't walk in to a store, try their site.

Yeah definitely go to brick and mortar stores to buy these if possible.

Michaels for the creatology foam, Canadian Tire (or American equivalent maybe) for the shelf-lining and double-sided tape. Dollar store for grill garbage can. Medical supply store for iris scissors.

Nov 25, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #105 of 342
Ideas materializing for the next revision of the mod...
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back