= HE-560 Enhancement Mod (v1.5) =
Nov 5, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #77 of 342

Yep, yes, and YEAH!  I'll back you 100% on that.  Really stunning bass.

C'mon people, jump on the train.

I have an idea for a future pseudo-revision of this guide.

That is, to make Step 2 a bit more "to taste", meaning the Focus pads with damping holes, but I can also mention Focus-As, as well as any other earpad that stands out as competitive beside the hybrid pads. I can outline what I feel the strengths and weaknesses are of each earpad choice, so people can pick their poisons before proceeding to the semi-permanent Step 3.

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #78 of 342
Here are some pix from my re-modding of a new baffle.  The first pic shows the recessed baffle relative to the outside of the cup.  This was from my first attempt yesteday.  The shelf liner disc beneath was trimmed by 5 mm, per the guide.  The third pic shows the baffle still recessed, but with the full size disc (shown in the second pic) underneath.  I tightened the screws down pretty thoroughly, without risking damage.  It's all good.

One thing worth noting is the proper way to screw down the baffle (or anything with multiple screws).  DON'T just screw one down, then move on.  Get them all started, then work around, skipping a screw or going all the way across, gradually tightening them all.

It was definitely painstaking work to get the baffles covered with the stickies.  I missed a small triangle at the bottom, but caught it before putting the pad back on.  It was a bit easier to get the pads on this time, fortunately.  The sound is as I recall it from yesterday, and I even rolled some new tubes (had to test out my new Herbie's Tube Dampeners with a problem pair; so far so good
biggrin.gif
 ).  Oh my!  There's that sub-bass 
eek.gif

I used the small Swiss Army knife to cut out the discs by tracing around the new metal baffle while pressing it to the shelf liner.  Easy peasy.  And those Fiskars scissors are a modder's dream.  Worth every penny.

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #79 of 342
  Here are some pix from my re-modding of a new baffle.  The first pic shows the recessed baffle relative to the outside of the cup.  This was from my first attempt yesteday.  The shelf liner disc beneath was trimmed by 5 mm, per the guide.  The third pic shows the baffle still recessed, but with the full size disc (shown in the second pic) underneath.  I tightened the screws down pretty thoroughly, without risking damage.  It's all good.

One thing worth noting is the proper way to screw down the baffle (or anything with multiple screws).  DON'T just screw one down, then move on.  Get them all started, then work around, skipping a screw or going all the way across, gradually tightening them all.

It was definitely painstaking work to get the baffles covered with the stickies.  I missed a small triangle at the bottom, but caught it before putting the pad back on.  It was a bit easier to get the pads on this time, fortunately.  The sound is as I recall it from yesterday, and I even rolled some new tubes (had to test out my new Herbie's Tube Dampeners with a problem pair; so far so good
biggrin.gif
 ).  Oh my!  There's that sub-bass 
eek.gif

I used the small Swiss Army knife to cut out the discs by tracing around the new metal baffle while pressing it to the shelf liner.  Easy peasy.  And those Fiskars scissors are a modder's dream.  Worth every penny.

That recess is pretty significant. Strange...

Very creative and clean way of overcoming it though! Kudos.

Nov 6, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #80 of 342
For another tape solution to the modding I found a more flexible solution than than normal clear double sided tape...

I had a similar issue with taping an ed8 earpad onto metal and none worked untill I tried this "body tape" for wardrobe to body :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/381695/ultrasone-edition-8/1940_20#post_10947003

Also upon listening to a friend's moded 560 with both this mod and grill,
I have to say its like pushing it to another level.
All aspects of the sound seemed to benifit and it was no longer like stock and there was absolutely no detection of upper range problem of the stock pads and it was very well balanced sounding can with improved clarity and depth and bass no longer had that tiny fat bottom it was now more clear and strong while mids were more focused as well and somehow the soundstage was similar witdth but more height..
it was now in league of the big guys and did nothing wrong nor did it lack anything,
In contrast to other top cans which have strengths but also have minuses..
this can no longer has much anything to nitpick about and I am forced to say that this and a complementary hd800 would be an "end game" couple to cover all music ..

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #81 of 342
For another tape solution to the modding I found a more flexible solution than than normal clear double sided tape...

I had a similar issue with taping an ed8 earpad onto metal and none worked untill I tried this "body tape" for wardrobe to body :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/381695/ultrasone-edition-8/1940_20#post_10947003

Also upon listening to a friend's moded 560 with both this mod and grill,
I have to say its like pushing it to another level.
All aspects of the sound seemed to benifit and it was no longer like stock and there was absolutely no detection of upper range problem of the stock pads and it was very well balanced sounding can with improved clarity and depth and bass no longer had that tiny fat bottom it was now more clear and strong while mids were more focused as well and somehow the soundstage was similar witdth but more height..
it was now in league of the big guys and did nothing wrong nor did it lack anything,
In contrast to other top cans which have strengths but also have minuses..
this can no longer has much anything to nitpick about and I am forced to say that this and a complementary hd800 would be an "end game" couple to cover all music ..

Nice.  Even my fashion-conscious wife hadn't heard of that tape.

Agree about the mods bringing out the best in the HE-560s.  Don't feel any urge to try LCDs or other top end cans.

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #82 of 342
Just finished all the mods. Damn, putting the earpads on with the double-sided tape unpeeled was PAINFUL. I was scared I was going to break that final tab!

Now, time for listening =)

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #83 of 342
  Nice.  Even my fashion-conscious wife hadn't heard of that tape.

Agree about the mods bringing out the best in the HE-560s.  Don't feel any urge to try LCDs or other top end cans.

lol not directed at you specifically, but in the general sense, if you haven't tried the other TOTL flagships, your judgement of the HE-560's performance will be a bit lacking. Heard on their own, most high-end headphones sound great. It is usually only through direct comparisons between high-end headphones you really notice the real subtle differences their strengths and weaknesses.

Would recommend trying out other flagships even if you are currently satisfied with your headphone's sound.

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #84 of 342

Would recommend trying out other flagships even if you are currently satisfied with your headphone's sound.

No!   A million times, no.

You're happy with how your headphones sound? GOOD!  Now, run...fun far away.  Save your sanity, save your wallet, and listen to some good music.  
beerchug.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #85 of 342
I had my opportunity to listen balanced on speaker taps of high end amp (First Watt), and tried the 560 (fully front and back modded) along:
1-HE6(grill&fuzzor mod)
2-hd800(partail annax mod & Draug2 cable)
3-ED12(balanced made stock cable)

All headphones were using balanced 4pin XLR cables..

All headphones sounded like top end cans..
None was a clear winner.
All had their own flavor and strengths..
BUT only the he560 managed to NOT have an obvious flaw with its traits it combined all the strengths of the others ro a lesser degree and we came to same conclusion(my friend) that if we could only choose one oyt of these four, we would be happy with the HE560 best, BUT our own particular preferences called for him staying with his HE6 and me staying with my HD800 yet I am very VERY sad to let ANY of them go..

Think of being at an ice cream store and wanting to have more than one flavor...

Think of having a choice of different colored sunglasses to see the world..

Its really hard when more than one can suit you. .

I haven't even talked about LCD or Stax..
I know for sure I would love them as well as I have herd them...

What a dilemma. .
:wink:

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #86 of 342
  No!   A million times, no.
You're happy with how your headphones sound? GOOD!  Now, run...fun far away.  Save your sanity, save your wallet, and listen to some good music.  
beerchug.gif

LOL.  I knew that comment would beget other comments.  While money is right on the money, I'm with you.  Would I like to preview Audezes or HD 800s in my home on my rig?  Duuuuuuuuhhhhh.  How likely is that to happen?  About nil.  I've got other things to obsess about, like the three pairs of RCAs I'm making to connect my Stack o' Schiit + XPS-1.  Gotta clear out the rat's nest so my new DIY stand is done justice.

Since this is the HE-560 Enhancement thread, I can only encourage people to give them a try, esp. those who feel the bass is a bit lacking.  As someone mentioned, no more bass coming and going.  When it's supposed to rumble or slam, it does.  When it's just supposed to be noticed, it's now there with a bit more authority.

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #87 of 342

LOL.  I knew that comment would beget other comments.  While money is right on the money, I'm with you.  Would I like to preview Audezes or HD 800s in my home on my rig?  Duuuuuuuuhhhhh.  How likely is that to happen?  About nil.  I've got other things to obsess about, like the three pairs of RCAs I'm making to connect my Stack o' Schiit + XPS-1.  Gotta clear out the rat's nest so my new DIY stand is done justice.

Since this is the HE-560 Enhancement thread, I can only encourage people to give them a try, esp. those who feel the bass is a bit lacking.  As someone mentioned, no more bass coming and going.  When it's supposed to rumble or slam, it does.  When it's just supposed to be noticed, it's now there with a bit more authority.

Though since the bass improvements derive largely from Step 3, which is a PITA to do and to undo, it'd be foolish to skip any internal mods (a la Steps 1-2) before doing that.

This mod demands full commitment through all the steps, or it may bite one in the ass in the future.

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #88 of 342
  Though since the bass improvements derive largely from Step 3, which is a PITA to do and to undo, it'd be foolish to skip any internal mods (a la Steps 1-2) before doing that.

This mod demands full commitment through all the steps, or it may bite one in the ass in the future.

Unless you already made some pads... 
biggrin.gif
 ... which was also a bit of a PITA.

FWIW, those Scotch reusable stickies stayed in place when I removed the pads.  Wasn't nearly as bad as tape or those photo stickies, which must be replaced after removing the pads from the HE-500s.  And they really are reusable.  The only potential issue is their thickness.  While they worked perfectly with my recessed baffles, they would be visible looking edge on if using them where the baffles and cups are level.  OTOH, you'll get that extra 2 mm or so of clearance inside.  Personally, I could live with that.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #89 of 342
OK, taking the plunge this weekend, finally have some time to do it!!! Grill mods in the books, but they should be Jergified by Sunday!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back