= HE-560 Enhancement Mod (v1.5) =
Oct 28, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #61 of 342
I did some listening earlier and I'm listening to some Dream Theater now. I've noticed that with the mods, that some electronic music tracks have really bad bass quality. So while the mods really do enhance the bass, it will also enhance the bad bass of some tracks. 

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #62 of 342
  I did some listening earlier and I'm listening to some Dream Theater now. I've noticed that with the mods, that some electronic music tracks have really bad bass quality. So while the mods really do enhance the bass, it will also enhance the bad bass of some tracks. 

Not sure I understand what you mean, that you can now discern bad music quality with regards to low frequencies?

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #63 of 342
  Not sure I understand what you mean, that you can now discern bad music quality with regards to low frequencies?

Yep, that's what I mean. 

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #64 of 342
  Yep, that's what I mean. 

Yeah, the bass transparency is superb. I guess it comes with very taut, controlled bass rendering coupled with linear extension.

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #65 of 342
Wow this took some dedication and creativity! Not sure I'm ready to mod my pair yet. Still loving the stock sound. Perhaps when I'm feeling dedicated and creative myself, perhaps...

Thanks for sharing, here. Incredible work!

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #66 of 342
Waiting for my pair to get back from an exchange to do the (harder to reverse) bass mod!

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #67 of 342
  Yeah, the bass transparency is superb. I guess it comes with very taut, controlled bass rendering coupled with linear extension.

I only hope it's better than HE-500's jerg padded bass which was not very good IMHO (bloated, lacked openness and positioning).

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #68 of 342
Just posted this in the HE-560 thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/9915#post_11019816

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #71 of 342
I use on my he560, the original pad of the old Sennheiser he560 Ovation, it sounds GREAT!!!
biggrin.gif

Just curious.  Do you find that those Senn pads fit underneath the yokes of the HE-560s?  I've tried puffy pads that were comfortable, but would fit my head right, as they wouldn't swivel down enough due to the pads getting stuck or just bumping up against the yokes.

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #72 of 342
  Just posted this in the HE-560 thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/9915#post_11019816

A properly-done step 3 in this mod, with either Focus or Focus-A pads (or in your case, a similar DIY pad), should have the same effect on bass extension / tautness - extension becomes bottomless, and bass gains more tactility / tautness. The intrinsic difference between the two pads set the rest of the bass experience (Focus pads as a basis will give more low-end robustness and rumble, while Focus-A pads will give a slightly leaner, flatter low end).

Regardless, I think proper bass / seal modding on HE560s like this really puts its bass right up against the best of the best; I still stand by my initial statement that from my personal experience this is the best bass I've heard out of headphones.

Nov 5, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #73 of 342
I do not know, I only have the he560, in the past I had some he5le, but I do not remember ever having removed the pads I did the tests, but maybe can 'be.
The thing that I can confirm is that dele small clips on the headset, make sure that the pad of the old Sennheiser remains perfectly embedded in the shell of the Hifiman.
From the picture you can 'see the inside width of the pad is about a finger more than the original pad, this helps to create a much wider headstage.

Nov 5, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #74 of 342
  A properly-done step 3 in this mod, with either Focus or Focus-A pads (or in your case, a similar DIY pad), should have the same effect on bass extension / tautness - extension becomes bottomless, and bass gains more tactility / tautness. The intrinsic difference between the two pads set the rest of the bass experience (Focus pads as a basis will give more low-end robustness and rumble, while Focus-A pads will give a slightly leaner, flatter low end).

Regardless, I think proper bass / seal modding on HE560s like this really puts its bass right up against the best of the best; I still stand by my initial statement that from my personal experience this is the best bass I've heard out of headphones.

Yep, yes, and YEAH!  I'll back you 100% on that.  Really stunning bass.

C'mon people, jump on the train.

Nov 5, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #75 of 342
  I do not know, I only have the he560, in the past I had some he5le, but I do not remember ever having removed the pads I did the tests, but maybe can 'be.
The thing that I can confirm is that dele small clips on the headset, make sure that the pad of the old Sennheiser remains perfectly embedded in the shell of the Hifiman.
From the picture you can 'see the inside width of the pad is about a finger more than the original pad, this helps to create a much wider headstage.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm done buying $40+ pads.  Glad they're working for you 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back