= HE-560 Enhancement Mod (v1.5) =
Oct 27, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #46 of 342
  Finally done... 

The bass with the the full mods is much improved over the stock he-560. Bass is clean, powerful, and sub-bass now maintains more rumble than ever before. I just hope that I actually completed everything correctly. I'll post more impressions on the sound sometime later this week, as well as my thoughts on the modding process itself (it was laborious but definitely worth it)

I'm going to do the foam inserts on my DIY pads.  Really curious about the improved bass response.

What are you using as dust screens on your grills?  Tough to tell from the photo.  Looks more opaque than organza.

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #47 of 342
  Finally done... 

The bass with the the full mods is much improved over the stock he-560. Bass is clean, powerful, and sub-bass now maintains more rumble than ever before. I just hope that I actually completed everything correctly. I'll post more impressions on the sound sometime later this week, as well as my thoughts on the modding process itself (it was laborious but definitely worth it)

Er...the crescent pieces should tuck under the mounting ring rather than over it. 
eek.gif

Should be a simple fix though!

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #48 of 342
  Er...the crescent pieces should tuck under the mounting ring rather than over it. 
eek.gif

Should be a simple fix though!

I'm not sure what you mean. The crescent is supposed to be in the inner circle of the mounting ring? 

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #49 of 342
  I'm not sure what you mean. The crescent is supposed to be in the inner circle of the mounting ring? 

No no, it should not be exposed at all, instead it should be tucked between the underside of the soft part of the earpad, and the plastic ring that is part of the earpad.

Edit: 30 second paint drawing to show what I mean.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #50 of 342

No no, it should not be exposed at all, instead it should be tucked between the underside of the soft part of the earpad, and the plastic ring that is part of the earpad.

Edit: 30 second paint drawing to show what I mean.

@jerg are you referring to the visible bluish foam in the bottom two pics?  I was wondering about that.  Thought it was just over-application of the foam on the underside of the mounting rings.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #51 of 342

@jerg are you referring to the visible bluish foam in the bottom two pics?  I was wondering about that.  Thought it was just over-application of the foam on the underside of the mounting rings.

What I specified was first insert those crescent pieces inside the earpads between the plastic and the pleather underside, then cut 4 precise pieces of foam to "fill up" the 4 holes in the plastic part of the earpads. Looks like what gunner did was add the 4 pieces first, then simply applied the big crescent piece over half of the underside of the earpads, rather than have it tucked in and away.

Obvious cosmetic/long term durability issues aside, it would also make it tougher to maintain a perfect seal with the double-sided tape, as there will be portions where the crescent piece ends abruptly.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #52 of 342
Like this? 

And ThurstonX, it's organza.

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #56 of 342
  What I specified was first insert those crescent pieces inside the earpads between the plastic and the pleather underside, then cut 4 precise pieces of foam to "fill up" the 4 holes in the plastic part of the earpads. Looks like what gunner did was add the 4 pieces first, then simply applied the big crescent piece over half of the underside of the earpads, rather than have it tucked in and away.

Obvious cosmetic/long term durability issues aside, it would also make it tougher to maintain a perfect seal with the double-sided tape, as there will be portions where the crescent piece ends abruptly.

Thanks for confirming.  That's how I've been doing my crescent "risers".  They work well on the new HM5 pads.  I got double-stacked thick non-adhesive Creatology foam wedged in there.  It was tight, be it really gives them a nice angle.  Pretty sure that's too much for the FocusPads, and unnecessary, as they're already angled.

So yes, definitely insert the crescents inside the pads (i.e., in the ear opening), as jerg describes.

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #58 of 342
Phew... everything is fixed now, and I re-did the taping on the cups to ensure a full seal since I had to take the pads off. This time around, I put the tape onto the cup, and then I trimmed off the edges. Overall it'll look sort of like a camera aperture around the cup.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #59 of 342
  It's a realforce 87u 55g. Don't be hatin' :p

Topre keys - nice. 

I currently have a maxkeyboard nighthawk, but eyeing that new RGB corsair K95 - I dont like the actual shape of the keyboard itself but the programmable fully RGB lights look kinda nuts

Oct 28, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #60 of 342
  Phew... everything is fixed now, and I re-did the taping on the cups to ensure a full seal since I had to take the pads off. This time around, I put the tape onto the cup, and then I trimmed off the edges. Overall it'll look sort of like a camera aperture around the cup.

Are you doing some listening later today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back