= HE-560 Enhancement Mod (v1.5) =
Dec 5, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #122 of 342
  Isn't the 4k bump what a lot of people had problems with on the stock HE560?  The mod seems to exacerbate that problem.

Might be the peculiar shelf liner material he used.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #124 of 342
re: new, improved enhancements...

popcorn.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #125 of 342
  I'll try to get my hands on some of the shelf liner from the OP and post a comparison.

Would it also be possible if you could measure with all the other modding steps in place, but no shelf liner, if it's not too much trouble? I'd love to see that as an objective negative control for the shelf liners.

Some day I'll muster up the courage and make my own measurement setup 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #128 of 342
Jerg, I did a measurement without the liner per your request. I also tested two and three layers of my shelf liner but that didn't do much. I'm really hoping to test some of your material in the future.

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #129 of 342
I did a lot of testing with the shelf liner I had and some new one with a different pattern that I picked up today and both of them don't seem to do much to the sound. Not even when I had two layers almost covering the driver fully. I'm really curious to see what magical material you have Jerg. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #130 of 342
  It's the same shelf liner that I've used and linked in the guide, this is just the white foam variety.

I don't think it's the same. Even the thickness is different.

And of course, it does produce a different sound. Predictably.

Quote:
  I did a lot of testing with the shelf liner I had and some new one with a different pattern that I picked up today and both of them don't seem to do much to the sound. Not even when I had two layers almost covering the driver fully. I'm really curious to see what magical material you have Jerg. 
biggrin.gif

If you're in the U.S., I can ship off 2 different liners for you to try.

The one jerg uses for this mod to me seems to make the sound "tighter", for lack of a better description. It does sound like it lifts up the upper mids around 5-6KHz a bit to my ears, and that's not generally very good.

The one I posted earlier (lighter colored) sounds a bit more diffused, and has an obvious effect (as in... I don't think it's just me) in reducing treble energy. Not sure how to put it, but either it's less ringing for real, or it's simply "shafting" something in frequency response.

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #131 of 342

I don't think it's the same. Even the thickness is different.

And of course, it does produce a different sound. Predictably.

If you're in the U.S., I can ship off 2 different liners for you to try.

The one jerg uses for this mod to me seems to make the sound "tighter", for lack of a better description. It does sound like it lifts up the upper mids around 5-6KHz a bit to my ears, and that's not generally very good.

The one I posted earlier (lighter colored) sounds a bit more diffused, and has an obvious effect (as in... I don't think it's just me) in reducing treble energy. Not sure how to put it, but either it's less ringing for real, or it's simply "shafting" something in frequency response.

If it's not the same, then it's really close. The repeating pattern is identical.

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #132 of 342
Bill, I'd love to try out some of your material and post my measurements but I live in Europe. I'd be more then happy to pay for a simple envelope filled with some sheets for me to test with.

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #133 of 342
2 different liners. Notice the lighter one has smaller holes and a slightly different shape.

The sound is different as well. I think I like the lighter one better. But it's hard to tell.

pauldgroot, I'll be cool with sending them free of charge, of course. Please consider the measurements to come (if you'd like to do that) as my compensation. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #134 of 342
  2 different liners. Notice the lighter one has smaller holes and a slightly different shape.

The sound is different as well. I think I like the lighter one better. But it's hard to tell.

pauldgroot, I'll be cool with sending them free of charge, of course. Please consider the measurements to come (if you'd like to do that) as my compensation. 
beerchug.gif

Dude, you got different liners. The ones I'm talking about are identical to your right ones except black. Tsh.

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #135 of 342
  Dude, you got different liners. The ones I'm talking about are identical to your right ones except black. Tsh.

Ah, okay. No wonder I like it more than the one on the left.

The one on the left sounds like it boosts treble a bit too much, and attenuates everything else by a lot. The one on the right really does exactly what you described would happen: no sibilance, more bass.

So glad to know I'm on the right page now. 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back