= HE-560 Enhancement Mod (v1.5) =
Feb 1, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #181 of 342
I undertand where you're going, I'm just curious if you've tried replicating the seal by wrapping electrical tape around the circumference of the cups covering any gaps between the pads and the rim. If there's no sound improvement, then going forward with a permanent solution may be unnecessary.

Whenever I got a perfect seal with NVX/Brainwavz pads... I had to break it to prevent driver flexing. I never borhered testing for gains in SQ as I was worried about damaging the driver.

HE560 in particular benefits (or rather, needs) great seal for the sake of its low bass and sub-bass control. The semi-permanent method I outlined in the first post (double-sided adhesive tape to line along the underside face of the earpads) works and isn't "out there" like wrapping the outside with electrical tape.

Some sort of easy-to-remove silicone glue would potentially be an even better method in this regard.

Was your experience with your NVX/Brainwavz pads on HE560s, or HE4s? I've no experience with HE4s.

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #182 of 342
HE560 in particular benefits (or rather, needs) great seal for the sake of its low bass and sub-bass control. The semi-permanent method I outlined in the first post (double-sided adhesive tape to line along the underside face of the earpads) works and isn't "out there" like wrapping the outside with electrical tape.

Some sort of easy-to-remove silicone glue would potentially be an even better method in this regard.

Was your experience with your NVX/Brainwavz pads on HE560s, or HE4s? I've no experience with HE4s.

Exclusively on the HE-4. They are very similar from my understanding. Also, the new mounting rings certainly create a better seal than the old mounting rings, but I'd be curious if you have tried playing around with both options?

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #183 of 342
Got the silicone glue today, jumped right in to try it. Really dig the results! This is a true perfect seal, unlike the double-sided tape method, and the bass impact/extension shows.

I took the chance and took some photos documenting this adhesion method, as well as photos for a few other changes / implementations I've done to my HE560s since the v1 mod was posted. Pretty busy this week but will write it up and append to first post guide, either this weekend or over next week.

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #184 of 342
Got the silicone glue today, jumped right in to try it. Really dig the results! This is a true perfect seal, unlike the double-sided tape method, and the bass impact/extension shows.

I took the chance and took some photos documenting this adhesion method, as well as photos for a few other changes / implementations I've done to my HE560s since the v1 mod was posted. Pretty busy this week but will write it up and append to first post guide, either this weekend or over next week.

What brand of silicone glue did you use, and where did you obtain it?

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #185 of 342
Please do Jerg, very curious to see what you've done to your poor HE-560. 
etysmile.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #186 of 342
What brand of silicone glue did you use, and where did you obtain it?

http://www.amazon.ca/Permatex-80050-Silicone-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B0002UEPVI

Best part is that it is permanent until you don't want it to be, then it's as simple as prying the two surfaces apart with some elbow grease, and peeling the solid silicone off. In theory at least.

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #188 of 342

Best part is that it is permanent until you don't want it to be, then it's as simple as prying the two surfaces apart with some elbow grease, and peeling the solid silicone off. In theory at least.

Thanks, as always, for taking one for the team.  While I'm pretty happy with the thick(ish) reusable double-sided thingies I'm using, alternatives are good to have.  I'll wait until you've filmed the removal process 
wink.gif

For those in the US, here's the domestic link: http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80050-Silicone-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B0002UEPVI

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #189 of 342

Thanks, as always, for taking one for the team.  While I'm pretty happy with the thick(ish) reusable double-sided thingies I'm using, alternatives are good to have.  I'll wait until you've filmed the removal process 
wink.gif

For those in the US, here's the domestic link: http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80050-Silicone-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B0002UEPVI

Way ahead of ya, I already set up a test on the side with just a spare baffle + spare earpad mounting ring and some of this silicone glue. Gonna leave till tomorrow for it to cure fully, then test and see how it peels.

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #190 of 342
Looking forward to hearing back about thet results of your test.
Keep up the great work.

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #191 of 342
This was the closest I could find on Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000FW62T6/ref=aw_d_dsc_automotive?qid=1423022950&sr=8-6

Can't wait for the guide, need to try this ASAP!:D

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #192 of 342
And the stuff peels off quite cleanly now, the morning after. It seems to stick to the metal (the aluminum baffle) more than the plastic (the earpad mounting ring), which is good because it's easier to peel that way.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #193 of 342

Oh sweet - i may order today lol.  Ive been thinknig of pad swapping with Audeze Vegan Pads - what do you think? 

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #194 of 342

Oh sweet - i may order today lol.  Ive been thinknig of pad swapping with Audeze Vegan Pads - what do you think? 

I think those come with their own adhesive rings, you might not need glue at all.

Sound-wise I can't comment on, haven't tried. Last time I tried Audeze pads was the LCD3 lambskin ones, but that was years ago.

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #195 of 342
  I think those come with their own adhesive rings, you might not need glue at all.

You think it might improve the sq at all? I'm thinking itll be a good way to widen soundstage - for the fact that its quite a bit deeper than the Focus Pads. Wonder if thatll mess up bass, make it more boomy or something. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back