HE-5..initial musings
Feb 22, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #1,546 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by foaming at the ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it's not high-end unless it's in the high-end forum? That's a definition worth dying by.

Very well stated!

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #1,549 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what I meant was "maybe" somebody should move this discussion to the hi-end section? It is pretty slow-going over there.

Not to mention that one of it's defining threads is Pat's VD Judge power cable discussion.
jecklinsmile.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #1,550 of 1,668
Just recieved my HE-5 from Currawong, and here are my initial impression.

Sound

Compared to my now gone HF-2, they definitely have a much more laid back characteristic, on the borderline of sounding dark. Yet, on the otherhand, I do detect a hint of sibilance that has been talked about to death. However, I think this might be an issue with amplification.

Using my Purity Audio Caliente, which had no issues driving high impedance headphones such as the AKG K501 (which would usually be listenable at levels around 1:30-2:00 on the knob), I assumed that the Caliente would have enough juice to power the HE-5. I'm finding that these cans are VERY demanding, as the Caliente can keep up but barely.

Using my reference test track Def Bass Krew by Dr. Crankenstein ("Officially Sanctioned SPL Competition Disc"), which essentially was designed to test subwoofers in cars, I can usually test how much a headphone can handle, but in this case, it was more like how much my amp could handle until the bass began to clip. With my now gone K501, I could have easily pushed it to 3 o'clock before it clipped, but by then, it would have been at levels that are unlistenable with normal music. With the HE-5, I'm able to push them to around 1-2o'clock, anything after that the bass clips like mad. There is however, definitely a lot of sub-bass packed in the headphone.

With normal music being played, driving the amp beyond 1-2o'clock makes the treble exceptionally bright and fatiguing. Oddly enough I actually enjoy low-volume level listening with the HE-5 (maybe because of the peaky treble emphasis when it gets to normal listening levels?), which was actually the same level of amplification that I had running my HF-2 at normal listening levels (around 11 o clock).

While I've been contemplating getting a new amp for a while, I think the HE-5 might give me a legitimate reason to upgrade.

Just an FYI, my initial impressions generally point out flaws of headphones rather than strengths. I'll definitely post more updates when I get used to it's sound signature and see if more burn-in affects the sound.

In terms of build/comfort, it's like a hybrid Grado/AKG - on the one hand you have what feels like a waist belt wrapped around your the top of head, and then you have the plush cups very similiar to Beyer/AKG. Overall, while it feels hefty on your hands, its more evenly distributed on the head.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #1,551 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oddly enough I actually enjoy low-volume level listening with the HE-5 (maybe because of the peaky treble emphasis when it gets to normal listening levels?), which was actually the same level of amplification that I had running my HF-2 at normal listening levels (around 11 o clock).

this "low volume sounds better" thingey usually indicates the amp is losing control when power requirement goes up. Maybe the HE5 was asking for more current than the amp can pump?

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #1,552 of 1,668
I have slight sibilance with the CKKIII, but it doesn't really bother me (note: I got mine in first week of December, so I don't know how the transitional/later "model" changes this sibilance). I'm not sure if this will ever disappear with amp swapping, but then again sibilance alone won't be the impetus for my next amp purchase (MORE POWER might be ha ha). By the way, if you're looking for a cheap amp solution, the CKKIII is pretty capable for the HE-5. At 2 o'clock it is... very very loud, full, and w/out any clipping. No doubt you'll have better options with more money invested, and I'm not sure how the CKKIII even stands next to the Caliente (upgrade, sidegrade? etc.).

I also agree that the HE-5 is noticeably more laid back to the Grado. However, next to the SRH840, the HE-5 does not seem laid back to me but actually moderately forward. It is a nice happy medium, and at the end of the day, I do not miss the Grado's forwardness with rock. This is probably because of the HE-5's clear mids outdo the Grado in what is arguably Grado's strongest suit.

I'm in a similar "HE-5 is making me want to upgrade" boat. In a way that you've find the HE-5 as a reason to upgrade your amp, I'm incredibly curious how revealing the HP would be of a new DAC in my chain (I don't really have one outside my soundcard).

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #1,554 of 1,668
Quote:

ok, final question before decision:

Does it have more (quantity-wise) bass than a 600 ohm Beyer 990?

(I am pretty sure the bass quality is better, so I only care about quantity at this point)

No.

Feb 23, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #1,556 of 1,668
Quote:

ok, final question before decision:

Does it have more (quantity-wise) bass than a 600 ohm Beyer 990?

(I am pretty sure the bass quality is better, so I only care about quantity at this point)

How about the 880 600?

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #1,557 of 1,668
LESS bass than the DT880/600.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #1,559 of 1,668
I do prefer the HE-5 overall, yes.

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #1,560 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys think the Burson-Audio HA160 would be sufficient in driving the HE-5?

Hey guys,

I have been watching this thread quietly for a while already, I am using my HE-5 with EF-5 and Burson HA-160 but the HA-160 at 12 O'clock and using the Low Impedance socket, the further hole from the volume knob if I am not wrong, it can drive the HE-5 with dignity but cannot push as much bass as the EF-5, on the good side, it's more sweet and less sharp sound to the ear than EF-5. I have my HE-5 with the star foam inner pad since early Jan-2010 and it's quite an experience the sound is getting better everyday for both Amps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back