HE-5..initial musings
Dec 28, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #1,081 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by sizwej /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just placed my order, now the wait begins!!Still unsure about my amplification needs (current amp ec/ss), but i'll cross that bridge when i get there.Cant wait!!!!!!

Ah, well, be prepared to waaaaaaaiiiiiittttttttt. They said mine would ship in two days. 4 days, still no tracking number...

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #1,082 of 1,668
I am getting frustrated with EMS tracking on my combo as well; there has been no update since the 18th and all that it said then was, "SHANGHAI Despatch from Sorting Center"; hopefully more info tomorrow (sigh)

Actually par for the course from China, maybe it's the holidays. My iBasso shipment took 10 days to get from a different Chinese sorting center to US Customs
angry_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, well, be prepared to waaaaaaaiiiiiittttttttt. They said mine would ship in two days. 4 days, still no tracking number...

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #1,083 of 1,668
Quote:

.(apparently this post was deleted under my nose last time. mods, if you'd be so kind as to PM me, I'd greatly appreciate it!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I have checked back 20 pages for any deleted posts. There haven't been any.

PM sent.

Dec 28, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #1,084 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am getting frustrated with EMS tracking on my combo as well; there has been no update since the 18th and all that it said then was, "SHANGHAI Despatch from Sorting Center"; hopefully more info tomorrow (sigh)

Actually par for the course from China, maybe it's the holidays. My iBasso shipment took 10 days to get from a different Chinese sorting center to US Customs
angry_face.gif

It's the holidays, USPS is super slow right now. My EF-5 shipped 12 days ago and a delivery attempt was finally made today.

Dec 28, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #1,085 of 1,668
Source is very important. I really don't like the he5/ef5 combo out of a hm801. It surely struggles to play notes in all parts of the audio spectrum. I switched to Linn Classik Music and I didn't have to struggle to hear Tom Fowler's bass lines in many Zappa recordings.
I'm sure the Classik Music uses Burr Brown's DA-chips and most likely cheaper ones than those in 801. And no, it isn't quite as resolving, but on a note scale the 801 makes the HE5s sound much more flat in this type of dynamics. I was glad to hear that the HE5s, while not the most accurate in this regard, weren't the bottle neck either!

Starting to really like these cans.. But, not as lifeless like from the hm801.

Dec 28, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #1,086 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

angry_face.gif

Mines were also dispatched on the 18th from Shanghai Sorting Center. No updates since that.

Dec 28, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #1,087 of 1,668
Quote:

Yes, delivery of the HE-5 is still spotty even ordering after it has become a regular stock menu item.

Looks like ‘handmade’ really means ‘made to order’. Ideally, mise en place is on station and ready to the cook – so orders are served without delay - shipped in a few days with a tracking number that works.

Not so ideal is finding a bare walk-in then calling a supplier or running to the store for ingredients – so my order really ships 15 days after ordering. Where’s Gordon Ramsey when you need him?

It’s been 28 days for me, and I’m watching others who ordered around the same time being served. The Critic's reviews are coming in, and poor paring with instant potatoes (unsuitable amps) has the Chef thinking minute rice (EF-5) should be mandatory when some expect gourmet results with risotto (my EC ZDT). Head-fiers are a tolerant bunch (Chef, tight connectors with a longer and/or balanced cable please!), but there comes a point where one of the other new places (LCD-2, T-1) starts to look like they might have better flavor.

Dec 28, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #1,088 of 1,668
Picked my EF-5 up at the post office today and wow! It really is meant for the HE-5, it just blows my old amp out of the water at driving them. Immense low-level detail improvement, soundstage opened up some, much improved bass impact and pinpoint instrument separation. It also erased sibilance from most, not all songs where it isn't part of the mix. It sounds a bit 'hollow' out of the box but I expect burn-in will fix this as my EF-1 was quite similar out of the box.

Dec 28, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #1,089 of 1,668
I received my HE-5 just before Christmas and have burned them in using a Dynahi Veda Audio head amp (purchased from fellow Head-fier Iron Dreamer in 2007) that was later modified by Mr. Gardner. This is a 15 watt per channel solid state amp. As a source I use an Ibiza Rhapsody player streaming wirelessly from the Rhapsody music service. I am a trumpet player that has played live music for 40 years. For me, my reference sound when judging a headphone is what I recall the instrument sounded like when I was standing next to someone playing it. In comparison to this headphone I also have an HD 580 with Clous Blue cable, UE Triple fi.10 pro, Shure 3C, and the Allesandro MS-1. I give this background so that the reader can assess where I am coming from in offering my impressions.

At the top I had trouble with a crackling sound coming from one of the sides of the headphone. This was determined to be due to a poor connection between the phone and the cable (which needs to be attached to the headphone initially). Take your time and re-insert the cable a couple of times until you are sure you got a good contact between cable and can for each ear. The silver cable is short which may restrict how you listen. The cable itself is light and pliable (unlike the Clous Blue cable for the HD 580's.). The phones themselves have a bit of weight to them. This is due to the number of magnets inside the cans.

I am not a big believer in the concept of "burn in." With that said, I probably have about 50 hours of use of these phones at this writing. In short, they capture the full overtone series of each instrument better than my other headphones. Don't get me wrong the UE Triple.fi 10's are fantastic canal phones, but they do not have the depth, speed, sound stage and degree of "air" around each note that these cans deliver. These cans are fast, precise, but also have a degree of "sizzle" with the ride cymbal of the drum set. I was able to hear the difference between each of the drummers 2 ride cymbals with these headphones. I have never been able to do that before. Indeed, because each instruments full overtone series is delivered to you, the sound in your head is very "big." This took me a little getting used to. I find these cans very revealing. I can hear the imperfections of recordings that I did not appreciate using my other cans. This effect can be heard even between the Rhapsody music choices. Streaming from their "radio stations," provides a big clear sound. In contrast, playing a play list posted by a listener on the Rhapsody service is more likely to contain sound artifacts. My ability to hear these differences was only heard by me using these cans. My other headphones are not exacting enough to have conveyed this difference to me. I do not have a tube amp to make any comparisons. I did use my Benchmark DAC1 HDR and the HE-5's sounded similar to the Dynahi. I can see why people feel so blessed to have a pair of these headphones. I give these cans a 4.5 out of 5.

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #1,091 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it sounds like they should consider using different/better connectors with the headphone, as a few people have complained about getting a solid connection.

They definitely should; I had to use pliers to get a decent connection and a few days ago the internal connection in the left cup got damaged somehow and I need to get it repaired now.

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #1,094 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mini-XLRs would be just perfect..

I would really...really like that....

Dec 29, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #1,095 of 1,668
Great review! Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunting /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my HE-5 just before Christmas and have burned them in using a Dynahi Veda Audio head amp (purchased from fellow Head-fier Iron Dreamer in 2007) that was later modified by Mr. Gardner. This is a 15 watt per channel solid state amp. As a source I use an Ibiza Rhapsody player streaming wirelessly from the Rhapsody music service. I am a trumpet player that has played live music for 40 years. For me, my reference sound when judging a headphone is what I recall the instrument sounded like when I was standing next to someone playing it. In comparison to this headphone I also have an HD 580 with Clous Blue cable, UE Triple fi.10 pro, Shure 3C, and the Allesandro MS-1. I give this background so that the reader can assess where I am coming from in offering my impressions.

At the top I had trouble with a crackling sound coming from one of the sides of the headphone. This was determined to be due to a poor connection between the phone and the cable (which needs to be attached to the headphone initially). Take your time and re-insert the cable a couple of times until you are sure you got a good contact between cable and can for each ear. The silver cable is short which may restrict how you listen. The cable itself is light and pliable (unlike the Clous Blue cable for the HD 580's.). The phones themselves have a bit of weight to them. This is due to the number of magnets inside the cans.

I am not a big believer in the concept of "burn in." With that said, I probably have about 50 hours of use of these phones at this writing. In short, they capture the full overtone series of each instrument better than my other headphones. Don't get me wrong the UE Triple.fi 10's are fantastic canal phones, but they do not have the depth, speed, sound stage and degree of "air" around each note that these cans deliver. These cans are fast, precise, but also have a degree of "sizzle" with the ride cymbal of the drum set. I was able to hear the difference between each of the drummers 2 ride cymbals with these headphones. I have never been able to do that before. Indeed, because each instruments full overtone series is delivered to you, the sound in your head is very "big." This took me a little getting used to. I find these cans very revealing. I can hear the imperfections of recordings that I did not appreciate using my other cans. This effect can be heard even between the Rhapsody music choices. Streaming from their "radio stations," provides a big clear sound. In contrast, playing a play list posted by a listener on the Rhapsody service is more likely to contain sound artifacts. My ability to hear these differences was only heard by me using these cans. My other headphones are not exacting enough to have conveyed this difference to me. I do not have a tube amp to make any comparisons. I did use my Benchmark DAC1 HDR and the HE-5's sounded similar to the Dynahi. I can see why people feel so blessed to have a pair of these headphones. I give these cans a 4.5 out of 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back