HE-5..initial musings
Dec 16, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #826 of 1,668
One of my grandmother's yiddish translations for schmaltz was the grease that would rise to the top when making chicken soup. Actually, it's the fat, or lard that comes from pig, chicken or duck, that can be used as a spread for a "heart attack on a plate" sandwich, which, like gizzards were tasty palette pleasers during times of "excessive" poverty.
But in another context, it can be defined as "sentimentality in art or music".

Go figure. I assume it is being used here as the latter.

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #829 of 1,668
Can anybody that has the GS1000 and the HE-5 comment on their similarities? Are they VERY similar? Are they TOO similar? Are you going to get rid of one?

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #830 of 1,668
Hey guys,

I have a quick question, how long does shipping usually take? ( I live in Canada but I am leaving January 2nd to Europe, and was wondering if I should just get it to ship to Europe instead of Canada, since it might not ship in time).
Since I am really thinking about purchasing the HE-5/EF-5 combo. Thanks,
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #831 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anybody that has the GS1000 and the HE-5 comment on their similarities? Are they VERY similar? Are they TOO similar? Are you going to get rid of one?

The GS-1000 bass is not as well controlled as the HE-5, and the GS-1000 mids are more recessed which gives a bigger soundstage but a less tonally rich sound.

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #832 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tonally they are similar, but not the same. Headstage and soundstage they are very different, with the GS-1000's being big and wide open. Both can be delicate and fast, but the HE-5's sound faster. The GS-1000's have more bass. The HE-5's have a more liquid sound to them (which surprised me). The HE-5's are closer to RS-1's than GS-1000's.

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #833 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

I have a quick question, how long does shipping usually take? ( I live in Canada but I am leaving January 2nd to Europe, and was wondering if I should just get it to ship to Europe instead of Canada, since it might not ship in time).
wink.gif

EMS from China takes anywhere from 5 to 7 working days. Six working days for me. I agree, the HE-5 is closer to the RS-1 with their liquidy seducing mids. mids
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #834 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could the CTH drive these things? (it's a stretch)

not a stretch at all. The CTH has great reserve, runs the tubes at a reasonable plate voltage and drives cranky old ortho's very well..dB

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #835 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by lecky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brainfood, I'd be really interested to hear how the HE-5 works with a Cyrus One

No problem, or pop over to Aldgate for a listen.

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #837 of 1,668
Anyone here drive HE-5 with Gilmore Lite or GS-1? Is it adequate? Thanks.

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #838 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is the last phase of "the thrill of the chase". Why did John Mayer end his relationship with Jennifer Anniston, and Billy Bob end with Angelina Jolie? The chase was exciting, but they must have been to sibilant to put up with their beauty, and they knew they could get another one, that had less sibilance and roll off..

I think "roll on" is a much deeper concern than "roll off" when talking about "Jen" and "Angie". And a little sibilance, at least where "Angie" is concerned, might not be a bad thing in certain situations.

Seriously though, thanks for the compliments. I appreciate them whether justified or not. And thanks for bringing these 'phones to my attention. They certainly do "bring a keg to the party"! And "new toy" syndrome, FOTM, etc., aside, they deserve a serious listen by everyone trying to get one step closer to the music.

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #839 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

wink.gif

Better consider how long you plan to be in Europe before having them shipped there.

Ordered on Dec. 1, received notice of EMS shipping with tracking number on Dec. 5. So far so good, but the number never showed on EMS tracking. Followed up, and received another shipping date of Dec. 15 (with same tracking number??).

Since mail typically slows so close to the holidays don't have high hopes of seeing them before Christmas.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back