HE-5..initial musings
Oct 17, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #31 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have any sort of definitive answer to this question yet
wink.gif

For now, for the break in, I'm using them with the J Sound Lab - it's transformer coupled so it can deal with the low impedance of the HE-5. Once broken in, though, they will spend a bunch of time with the Audio-GD Phoenix, which is a more neutral sounding amp than the J Sound Lab.

And when can we expect a review from the 'Reviewerus Prolificus'?
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #32 of 1,668
LOL! After about 2 weeks of break in, and another 2 weeks of listening, I will try to muster a review. I bought the HE-5's, they are not a review loaner, so I plan mostly to just enjoy them
wink.gif
But I will write about them I'm sure.

Oct 17, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #33 of 1,668
Quote:

Alan, let us know what you find out here. I just got my HE-5's yesterday, and have been breaking them in. They sound great generally, with some obvious planar goodness, although any real analysis is too early. But I do have one complaint - the cable is very stiff, and very microphonic. Assuming they continue to sound good, I will want to replace the cable for sure.

But I was very pleased with the out of the box sound - very encouraging!

Could there be a more generic cable...straight from the spool, braided and terminated. Anything stiff of course will be a conduit for tube micro-phonics but this is pretty bad.

I have had a positive word from Drew and Craig (Cryo), Craig has to think of a price. I'm waiting of Heli..best conduit covering and is supple while sounding good. I'll keep digging and see what I come up with!

I'm going balanced!

Oct 17, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #34 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm going balanced!

I was thinking of the same thing - as long as it sounds good with the Phoenix, which I am sure it will.

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #35 of 1,668
Drew and I have both emailed for a part no. on the connector.

Just for Ha-Ha's tried some tubes (via the WA6SE) and was a little let down.
The mixing of the tube in to the fray softened transients to much for me. It took a Modern, vibrant well recorded Piano and transformed it to a early "Red Label" (late 40's, early 50's), softened, opaque sounding and a distant focus. The recording doesn't sound like that. It's not offensive at all and may have admirers...but it wasn't plausible in my opinion.

"I need them transients..and I need them now" Yeah Baby!

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #38 of 1,668
Drew (Moon Audio) has informed me that he has a nice soft jacket available and is in communication for a part no.. I am interested in a Balanced 6ft. pair (Neutrik) and the price $250.00 plus shipping...More later!

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #40 of 1,668
Drew now has a part no. for the connectors for a re-placement cable, and has emailed some parts vendors, and is waiting for a reply from said vendors.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #41 of 1,668
Sweet! Balanced cable, here I come
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #43 of 1,668
Quote:

Sweet! Balanced cable, here I come
wink.gif

Drew has a no. AND now Alex at Apuresound both have no.s! Just heard from Heli....COOL!!

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #45 of 1,668
I'm shipping my pair to Heli and Alex (Apuresound) to make sure of the connector type and testing....I'm taking one for the Team!
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back