HE-400 VS HE400i VS Fidelio X2 (Need Input)
Oct 3, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #31 of 81
  Haha, could be! Yeah, initially the 400i was very uncomfortable to me, especially after being used to the X2. I couldn't understand people who were saying they were like little pillows on the head. They do break in though. Interestingly, I just returned my 400i to Hifiman last week and received a replacement pair because I pulled the pads and the right driver had wrinkles in it. I've never seen anything like that before. Customer service was great about it, but they did send a refurbished pair instead of a new pair. I was worried about this at first, but the pair they sent looks and sounds great. Point being, the pair they sent is actually MUCH more comfortable than the pair I had; the cups swivel much more freely and the clamping force is practically gone. My pair was only about 3 months old; I can only guess that this pair is more broken in than mine were? I either had a super uptight pair, or they break in beautifully with time. If you like the sound, perhaps give them some time? Maybe by the time your account is old enough they'll feel better. If you don't sweat to death, that is :wink: 

That's interesting about the wrinkle. How durable are planar magnetic drivers? Can they be harmed just by pressing on lightly, as in, through the pad?

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #32 of 81
I initially looked at the Philips X2 but don't like a bass heavy HP. Too afraid to buy another pair without first trying them on, but no good headphone shops where I live. However, Moon Audio is 3 hours away which is too far to drive to test some out.

TJ, you said the X2 is better than the HD 650 which someone recommended to me since I wanted to get rid of the 400i. I truly hope they are very comfortable and is a definite upgrade to my AT AD700.

If you do not want a bass heavy headphone then I would avoid the X2's.However the X2's are an awesome set of headphones.The Audio Technicas are probally the most comfortable cans I have put on,but from a sound perspective they aren't even close to the X2's.
BTW I sold my HE-400's to get the X1's just because of the added bass.

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #33 of 81
I currently own the X1s; do you guys think it is worth selling them to get a pair of X2s? I also own a pair of hd-600s, which I love, though the soundstage of the Fidelios have always enthralled me. :)

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #34 of 81

That's interesting about the wrinkle. How durable are planar magnetic drivers? Can they be harmed just by pressing on lightly, as in, through the pad?

Oh no, I highly doubt it. I don't know much about the actual build of planar drivers, but they seem pretty sturdy to me. You can pull the pads and look at them yourself- granted, they're not meant to take a beating, but you'd have to do far more than just poke them to damage them.

As far as the wrinkles, I still have no idea. I imagine it was a faulty pair or they were damaged somehow through listening, although I never took them to a point that I felt I was "blowing" them. I don't think dropping them would cause wrinkles (I never did, I take meticulous care of my cans).... I've asked a few people that know more than I do and they'd never head about or seen wrinkling like that. There's noting online that I can find regarding it either, so who knows. At least that shows it's a rare occurrence, and Hifiman was great about replacing them. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #35 of 81

Oh no, I highly doubt it. I don't know much about the actual build of planar drivers, but they seem pretty sturdy to me. You can pull the pads and look at them yourself- granted, they're not meant to take a beating, but you'd have to do far more than just poke them to damage them.

As far as the wrinkles, I still have no idea. I imagine it was a faulty pair or they were damaged somehow through listening, although I never took them to a point that I felt I was "blowing" them. I don't think dropping them would cause wrinkles (I never did, I take meticulous care of my cans).... I've asked a few people that know more than I do and they'd never head about or seen wrinkling like that. There's noting online that I can find regarding it either, so who knows. At least that shows it's a rare occurrence, and Hifiman was great about replacing them. 

Did they sound differently when they were wrinkled? Did the new ones sound better?

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #36 of 81

Did they sound differently when they were wrinkled? Did the new ones sound better?

I did notice some distortion in the bottom end on some songs, but it was subtle. Overall they still sounded pretty good despite the wrinkles. Obviously good enough that I didn't think anything was amiss until I actually saw the drivers. The replacement pair sounds great; I haven't heard the distortion I was hearing before.

Oct 10, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #37 of 81
  I currently own the X1s; do you guys think it is worth selling them to get a pair of X2s? I also own a pair of hd-600s, which I love, though the soundstage of the Fidelios have always enthralled me. :)

Dunno, the X2 sounds a bit better all in all than the X1, but the X1 is lovely too. I feel that even though they are a bit different in terms of tuning, they still share the exact same strengths and weaknesses. Honestly I have to admit I kinda miss the X1's signature lol. Philips did a heck of a job with both these headphones that's for sure. Both X1 and X2 are the most musical headphones I've heard. Just so enjoyable to listen to.

Oct 10, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #38 of 81

Dunno, the X2 sounds a bit better all in all than the X1, but the X1 is lovely too. I feel that even though they are a bit different in terms of tuning, they still share the exact same strengths and weaknesses. Honestly I have to admit I kinda miss the X1's signature lol. Philips did a heck of a job with both these headphones that's for sure. Both X1 and X2 are the most musical headphones I've heard. Just so enjoyable to listen to.

Thanks for this! I know a lot has been written about their comparison. But what strikes me as strange is that while, at the time, everyone thought the comparison between the hd-600 and the x1s was fitting, now it is the x2 vs the hd-600 which has taken the stage. Obviously, the replaceable pads constitute a great update, and they seem easier to drive too. But other than that, is it really an improvement? I get the feeling that the x2 is the more neutral, a bit more compact (less loose) and tight on the bass, and less bright. More moderate than the x1s, in short. But really, how much of an improvement is it or a change?

Oct 10, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #39 of 81
  Thanks for this! I know a lot has been written about their comparison. But what strikes me as strange is that while, at the time, everyone thought the comparison between the hd-600 and the x1s was fitting, now it is the x2 vs the hd-600 which has taken the stage. Obviously, the replaceable pads constitute a great update, and they seem easier to drive too. But other than that, is it really an improvement? I get the feeling that the x2 is the more neutral, a bit more compact (less loose) and tight on the bass, and less bright. More moderate than the x1s, in short. But really, how much of an improvement is it or a change?

How much of a change is hard to say. If I say 5%... 5% of what? Still doesn't mean anything. I would say the midrange on the X2 is more pronounced, it sounds a bit airier. I think it's generally right on to say that the X2 is a more moderate X1. It still isn't a natural sounding headphone; you still get the X1 sound. It's basically an X1 with better tonal balance and the soundstage seems better, but I suspect this is mostly due to the treble and midrange having more presence. I personally don't think the X2 is some sort of logical upgrade of the X1. The X1 sounds great the way it is and never needed much improvement. The X1 does piano and electric guitars extremely well - so does the X2. The X1 has an artificiality to the treble - so does the X2. The X1 has good attack and energy... So does the X2. The X2 sounds somewhat better to me but I could easily see people preferring the X1.

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #40 of 81
Thank you sooo much that was exactly what i was looking for as far as comparison !!!!!!! And since i am currently listening to set of SHP9500 [very underrated ] i can now see the X2 as my next step as the fidelio series sound stage is 2nd to none as far as i can tell after owning some AKG 240s and  DT990's and seems i will have to save for some HE-560's as seem to have the "true planar bass" according most reviews i have found . In the mean time i will get a set of X2's and enjoy the heck out of them lol

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #41 of 81
  Awesome. Well, I don't have any experience with the 400, but I can say I'm very pleased with the 400i. It's a gorgeous headphone, however this has led me to some obsessive-compulsive cleaning as the gloss finish shows fingerprints and dust quickly. They are comfortable, but I find the headband adjustment a little quirky. The X2's are definitely more comfortable in my opinion. One of the most comfortable set of cans I've worn. Soundwise, the 400i is more neutral and precise, with the mids definitely stealing the show. As I'm sure you're aware these are not bass-heavy cans. The bass is there when the recording calls for it and it is tight and controlled, however overall I find myself wishing there was just a little bit more oomph. Some may disagree; if you like a balanced sound, these are superb. However if you listen to a lot of electronic music you'll probably be underwhelmed with these, although playing them through a good amp/dac does bring out the bottom end. That being said, the 400i's sound awesome. Less spacious than the X2, but more detailed, present, and responsive. Again, the real magic is in the mids and highs. The mids are lush and fluid and the highs sparkle without being harsh. Instrument separation and texture is amazing. I would probably rate these phones as low high-fi, where I'd probably place the Philips in the mid to high med-fi. I've heard them called a little cold and analytical, but I disagree. They are very musical and enjoyable. A bit more picky about amplification than the X2; I'd definitely put some good equipment behind them before judging them. I usually play them through the Musical Paradise MP 301 MK3, which is a decent tube amp, and I can say that vocal-driven music, jazz, and rock just sing through these. Adele, Springsteen, Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd- I literally get goosebumps. My overall opinion: a stellar sounding set of cans, but a little picky. If I had to choose one single pair of phones to own, these would probably not be it. However where they shine, they really, really do shine.

The X2, on the other hand, is a killer headphone in its own right. I may be somewhat biased, but I love these phones. For the price, I don't think you can beat them. They don't really do one thing exceptionally, but they do everything well. They are comfortable, look great, and are just fun. I own much more expensive pairs of headphones and still find myself on these most of the time. The soundstage is airy and there is distinct instrument separation. Bass is incredible for an open-back headphone, especially sub-bass. The bass doesn't quite have the quality of the 400i, but the quantity is there without being overwhelming. It does bleed a little into the low midrange, but they're so enjoyable to listen to that it's not a concern to me. Has a bit of a V-shaped signature yet the midrange is still pleasingly present. To me the sound is in the same vein as the HD 650- not quite as detailed but more lively and fuller bass; given the choice I would take these over the 650. Also not nearly as detailed or textured as the 400i, but very warm, musical, and non-fatiguing. You can listen to these all day, and they sound good with whatever equipment or genre of music you throw at them. Granted, they're not going to rival flagship headphones in sonic accuracy, but they are an all-around enjoyable workhorse, and a steal for what you pay. For a solid, rocking med-fi headphone, I would recommend these all day.

Thank you sooo much that was exactly what i was looking for as far as comparison !!!!!!! And since i am currently listening to set of SHP9500 [very underrated ] i can now see the X2 as my next step as the fidelio series sound stage is 2nd to none as far as i can tell after owning some AKG 240s and  DT990's and seems i will have to save for some HE-560's as seem to have the "true planar bass" according most reviews i have found . In the mean time i will get a set of X2's and enjoy the heck out of them lol

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #42 of 81
I'm planning on purchasing either the he400i, the t50rp mk3, or the x2 I listen to alot of metal and I'm working with a fiio Q1 on my s6 which of the 3 is best suited to the metal genre.
and by metal I mean opeth, bloodbath, meshuggah type metal very technical fast paced music.
if somone can get back to me soon it would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #44 of 81
I'm planning on purchasing either the he400i, the t50rp mk3, or the x2 I listen to alot of metal and I'm working with a fiio Q1 on my s6 which of the 3 is best suited to the metal genre.
and by metal I mean opeth, bloodbath, meshuggah type metal very technical fast paced music.
if somone can get back to me soon it would be greatly appreciated.

someboddaayyyy heeellllppp I can't make this decision myself lol, mainly because I have no where to try them, wanting to get them ordered as soon as possible.

The 400i at the current $299 sale price is your best option of those three, and probably the best option in that price range for faster paced music like metal.  Currently using mine for symphonic and power metal and getting great results.  I own both the 400i and X2 and IMO the 400i is quite a few steps ahead of the X2 in every category except bass quantity.  

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #45 of 81
Well hellasound if your looking head banging bass almost none of the cans you listed will give you that they all have plenty of bass but its clean and tight and mudd free .!!!! Now I can only comment on the X2's which I LOVE they have bass in spades but like I said it is clean and tight but what sets the X2 apart from the others is it's sound stage and it's sound fidelity the highs are clean and crisp the mids are present detailed but not to forward and the bass is full and luscious and clean they sound more like a good set of desktop speakers rather then headphones IMHO. And the sound stage like said is was sets them apart since they sound more loudspeaker every song sounds live without the back round noise I can close eyes when using them and hear every instrument and where it is located in the room .And the X2s really come alive with a good amp .Now sadly I wish comment on the listed but sadly I cannot I can highly recommend the X2s and you would be happy with them they are awesome all around cans but if wand something with detail and more bass then you know what to do with DT700s from Beyer dynamic are good choice they sound very open for closed cans but X2s are in a different class from the DT 700s [I have the 250 ohm] So hope my comments help  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back