HDCD list
Jan 14, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #286 of 597
Out of curiousity, would anyone buy Hi-Res audio downloads if they were available, instead of HDCD's?

Jan 15, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #287 of 597
Mark O'Connor, Midnight on the Water.

The back of the CD case is marked HDCD, but the CD itself is not.

File under Classical/Instrumental.

Jan 16, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #288 of 597
The Border of Dusk by Michael Whalen

B00004NKBI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Ambient electronica with a garnish of smooth jazz. Whalen is a composer of commercial ads, and it shows on this album. Not nearly as good as his brillant and uncompromising Nightscenes (which, despite not being an HDCD, sounds superb), but still enjoyable.

NB: HDCD logos on package and CD.

Jan 16, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #289 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by patgod
Out of curiousity, would anyone buy Hi-Res audio downloads if they were available, instead of HDCD's?

I'd start a new thread for that discussion; this one's huge enough that I'd like to keep it on the topic of discovering new HDCDs, and nobody will see it here anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #290 of 597
No Stranger -- Sean Keane

B0000251LD.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Fairly modernised C&W with Irish influences (or maybe the other way round). Keane has a low, thick voice (listen here) which works magic on some numbers. Contains a nice cover of Sting's Field of Gold and what is probably the best rendition of Dan Seal's Lullaby

No HDCD logo anywhere.

Jan 19, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #292 of 597
I have a question regarding playback of HDCDs on WIndows 2000. I use Windows Media Player 9 and, when putting in an HDCD(Steve Earle- El Corazon for example), I get the HDCD logo on Windows Media Player. I do have a 24 bit soundcard so I assume I am playing the HDCD layer.

Do I really need Windows XP to ensure the HDCD layer is playing?

COnversely, I checked an HDCD on my Mom's new laptop(Windows XP). She does not have a 24 bit soundcard and the HDCD logo did not appear in Windows Media Player 10 upon playback. I found that odd.

I am trying to save myself at least $40 by avoiding purchasing an HDCD player(ie. Astar, etc)..

Anyone have any input?

Thanks!

Kevin

Jan 19, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #293 of 597
Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood.
Catalog #440 067 632-2
This the Motley Records/Hip-O-Records enhanced crucial crue release.
No where on the jacket or the disc is any mention of HDCD.

Feb 19, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #297 of 597
Blue Man Group, Audio [marked on CD only]
Blue Man Group, The Complex [not marked on either]

Alex De Grassi, The Water Garden [marked both CD & case]

enjoy!

udpate -- I think the Blue Man Group discs should go under Rock... they're not really soundtracks, and De Grassi is fine under New Age.

Feb 22, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #298 of 597
Moroccan Spirit

B00005Y1YF.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

No artist name credited on the cover; the nauseatingly kitschy sleeve note says the project was conceived by someone simply known as "The Brave", who recorded many musicians from Casablanca on the field, organised the samples, and marinating them, Deep Forest-like, in electronic grooves and echos. The music is not as bad as this sounds: at least the samples -- ouds, flutes, vocals, percussion and especially the "kanoon" hammered dulcimer -- are very fine indeed. As middle-eastern chill out music, the disc is more than adequate; However, those seriously interested in middle-eastern fusion are better served by experts like Omar Faruk Tebelik and Hossam Ramzy.

Logos on cover and disc

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #299 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by timind
Nanci Griffith "Other Voices, Too (A Trip Back to Bountiful)" I'm listening to it now, a fine cd, HDCD logo on cover. Another is John Prine's "Souvenirs" it has no indication I can find notating HDCD but the little light comes on. Also, the sound is so deep it has to be encoded.
Too many pages on this thread to check so I hope these haven't been mentioned.

If the red light is on, there is a HDCD CD in the player. Hope You have notised the HDCD catalogue? The site is swedish, but You can use the enlish verson, though. Add all Your HDCD CD's and search for other HDCD titles. Today there is more than 800 of them!

Thomas

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #300 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by happykev
I have a question regarding playback of HDCDs on WIndows 2000. I use Windows Media Player 9 and, when putting in an HDCD(Steve Earle- El Corazon for example), I get the HDCD logo on Windows Media Player. I do have a 24 bit soundcard so I assume I am playing the HDCD layer.

Do I really need Windows XP to ensure the HDCD layer is playing?

COnversely, I checked an HDCD on my Mom's new laptop(Windows XP). She does not have a 24 bit soundcard and the HDCD logo did not appear in Windows Media Player 10 upon playback. I found that odd.

I am trying to save myself at least $40 by avoiding purchasing an HDCD player(ie. Astar, etc)..

Anyone have any input?

Thanks!

Kevin

For listening to 20 - 24 bit HDCD yhere has to be a HDCD-process. So if there is not a HDCD chip (PDM100 or PDM200) in the machine, then it can not be a HDCD signal. So the Windows computer can just tell You that it has a HDCD CD in the sledge. (sorry about my swedish kind of english language.
Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back