HDCD list
May 17, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #316 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by veloroad
So, fellow HDCD supporters, please indicate the record label, the product code, and the perhaps country/market where the HDCD is from - the full disclosure can help individuals to get 'the real McCoy'!

Good suggestion!

May 24, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #318 of 597
Quote:

So, fellow HDCD supporters, please indicate the record label, the product code, and the perhaps country/market where the HDCD is from - the full disclosure can help individuals to get 'the real McCoy'!

Hmm, interesting findings. It's not the first time some people have had non-HDCD copies of discs here (the Emerson String Quartet's Art of Fugue, and some Tegan and Sara discs come to mind too), so I'm putting that as a note with the entries.

I'll definitely second the request for as much information as possible, especially (for my sake) what catagory people think an album belongs in
smily_headphones1.gif
. I may not put it all in the list itself, though -- I have no idea what the maximum post size is but I'm trying to avoid finding out for as long as possible -- but the thread itself should be a resource to people as well, I think. So it's all much appreciated.

(By the way, apologies for not responding in a more timely fashion. I'm doing some on-and-off work out of state at the moment, and just got back home.)

Jun 2, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #319 of 597
Neil Young's Living With War is HDCD. It's not marked this time on the outer package, though, probably just b/c of the minimalist paper bag motif. There are no record company logos or anything either.

Jun 11, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #320 of 597
Sad news for HDCD supporters, users, and fans...the HDCD catalog that was Swedish in origin is no longer; I found today that the site that has the URL "http://www.hitbutiken.com/hdcd/?p=home&lang=en" has become an e-commerce portal (that's the best description I can come with) all of the sudden - I was at the site just 2-3 days ago and it was a database one could peruse through and post HDCDs. (Update as of 11 June 2006: See Post #324 from Soundboy for the same site, new URL.)

Well folks, to my knowledge that leaves this thread as the last, only remaining reliable and comprehensive resource besides CD-Universe's categorization of HDCDs. As we know, hdcd.com is defunct, 'deep-sixed' by Microsoft.

So HDCD fans...do you think there's hope for this technology, where acceptance and use goes beyond niche labels like Reference Recordings, FIM, and Linn? Dark days for high fidelity sound indeed - beyond the CD Red-Book standard there's not much - SACD and DVD-Audio never took off, DualDisc usually isn't cut with hi-res audio in mind and hasn't made much market penetration, XRCD is still Red-Book (just executed better) and isn't widely known beyond audiophile circles, and BluRay and HD-DVD is...well the jury's still convening. HDCD appeared to have market presence, but after Microsoft bought it lock-stock-barrel, they haven't done much to champion the tech.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #321 of 597
Quote:

Sad news for HDCD supporters, users, and fans...the HDCD catalog the was Swedish in origin is no longer; I found today that the site that has the URL "http://www.hitbutiken.com/hdcd/?p=home&lang=en" has become an e-commerce portal (that's the best description I can come with) all of the sudden - I was at the site just 2-3 days ago and it was a database one could peruse through and post HDCDs.

Given that this thread may be the only up-to-date HDCD listing on the net, I have PM Megaptera about me adding addition information per your suggestion in post #315, such as name of record company and catalog numbers, to my contributions to this thread.

The original intend of this thread was to uncover and identify HDCD-encoded CDs that were either unmarked or not listed at HDCD.com. I don't know if the infomation at HDCD.com or at the Swedish site were ever saved by someone, but I think the importance of this thread has just been magnified.

Edit: I just checked out my stereo hybrid SACD of Danny Summer's "am1", which is marked as HDCD-encoded.

dannysummeram1back_sacd.jpg

However, when played back using Windows Media Player v.10, no HDCD indicator. Checked every track....nothing. So I checked the original redbook CD version (released by Hong Kong's Acoustic Lab, catalog number AL-001), which was also marked as HDCD-encoded and sure enough....HDCD indicator in WMP v.10 came on. So, HDCD for "am1" is only available on the redbook CD version.

Jun 11, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #322 of 597
The CD layer of the hybrid SACD of Mark Knopfler's "Shangri-La" is also HDCD-encoded. It is unmarked on both the disc and the packaging. The SACD (catalog number 9867715) was released by Mercury Records, an Universal Music label. MK is on a Warner Music label in the US, so the SACD is available everywhere....except the US.

First Impression Music's hybrid SACD of "Favorite Chinese Instrumentals" (catalog number FIM SACD 037) has a CD layer that's encoded with HDCD. The packaging is marked HDCD on the outside but no such indication on the disc itself.

favoritechineseinstrumentalsfim_sac.jpg

Also HDCD-encoded, the 24K gold CD of "Minute By Minute" from the Doobie Brothers. Released by Audio Fidelity (catalog number AFZ 025)

Jun 11, 2006 at 10:48 AM Post #323 of 597
I notice that many Country-Western CDs, in particular those from the BMG/Arista Nashville, are HDCD encoded. Brooks and Dunn's Steers and Stripes (07863-67003-2) is one (and its says so on the cover); although their next release, the more musically interesting Red Dirt Road, is not a HDCD.

I'll fetch a few more titles if I'm in the appetite for more.

Jun 12, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #325 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
Here's the Swedish HDCD site back online.

Thanks for sharing the find!
580smile.gif
From the looks of it, the creators of 'Katalogen' got booted from their original ISP; chances are money's involved...

BTW, HDCD.com is pretty much useless now for HDCD referencing - entering it as an address gets one redirected to Microsoft's site for Professional Audio Creation and Distribution and you reaaallly have to dig for any significant mention of HDCD.

Jun 14, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #326 of 597
In Bright Mansions -- The Fisk Jubilee Singers (Curb Records D2-78762)
B00007MB2L.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

A collection of 18 Negro Spiritual songs, sung acapella by the Fisk Jubilee Singers of Fisk University, Nashvile, in the academic year 2001-02.

As Gospel music goes, this is a pretty laid-back recording. Unlike some famous, pop-oriented Gospel groups that emphase rhythms and vibe, this 17-member choir conveys the beauty of the songs by their purity of tones and subtle vocal shadings. The sound quality can only be described as immaculate, capturing the church-hall acoustics of the recording venue in delicious detail.

The CD comes in a small-book-plus-envelope package (very pretty, but get a spare jewel-case lest the disc get scratched). The booklet recounts the very interesting history of this 130-year group, with an essay about the recording technologies used -- and for those who must know absolutely everything about how this immaculate recording was made, the CD comes with a Macromedia Flash presentation that has everything down to the pages from the engineers' notebook -- but curiously, the song texts are nowhere to be found...

HDCD logo on package and disc.

Jun 14, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #327 of 597
I can't believe I haven't mentioned Hector Zazou's Lights in the Dark on this thread, as I've mentioned this extraordinary work many times before on head-fi. The Swedish site has no record of it either.

B000009PT5.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This project is a modern take on the ancient Irish tradition of church hymns and sean nos singing. Over the vocals of three different female vocalists, Zazou projects a sparse, darkly-hued instrumental backdrop -- with influences from chamber music, Tibetan music, Japanese Noh theatre, and, of course, ambient electronics. The eerie beauty of the music holds the listener in fascination.

Erato/Detour 3984-21662-2; HDCD logo on package.

Jul 15, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #330 of 597
virometal, your cd has broken the list.

Not really. But I'm getting errors when I try to save the updated post at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back