stepyou3pp7.png

is HDCD, i dont have the japan version so im not sure about that

The back of the cd has the CDDA logo and has no mention of HDCD as i can see

Jul 25, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #333 of 597
I have 2 more HDCD discs to report:

NWA - Straight Outta Compton (2002 remastered + bonus tracks) *
NWA - Efil4Zaggin (2002 remastered w/ 100 Miles & Runnin EP bonus)*

Both hiphop...

It isn't mentioned on the cd-case anywhere, but the HDCD light on my Marantz SR4600 lit up when playing these discs.

prod nrs:

72435-37936-2-3

72435-37937-2-2

Priority Records

It's probably the case with their Eazy E remasters as well...

Jul 25, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #334 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP
I can't believe I haven't mentioned Hector Zazou's Lights in the Dark on this thread, as I've mentioned this extraordinary work many times before on head-fi. The Swedish site has no record of it either.

B000009PT5.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This project is a modern take on the ancient Irish tradition of church hymns and sean nos singing. Over the vocals of three different female vocalists, Zazou projects a sparse, darkly-hued instrumental backdrop -- with influences from chamber music, Tibetan music, Japanese Noh theatre, and, of course, ambient electronics. The eerie beauty of the music holds the listener in fascination.

Erato/Detour 3984-21662-2; HDCD logo on package.

Hi I have the stock version of this..where can I score the HDCD version??

Jul 27, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #336 of 597
Just received the 3 CD box set 'Enchanted' - ' The enchanted works of Stevie Nicks', basically a best of that also includes previously unavailable tracks and rarities such as 'Long distance winner' from the 1973 Buckingham/Nicks album. Every track seems to be HDCD encoded!

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #337 of 597
I own the following two HDCD titles that are not listed here:

1. Jessye Norman: I was born in love with you / Jazz / No HDCD logo / Philips

2. (The) Holmes Brothers: Righteous / Blues / No HDCD logo / Rounder

All tracks in these two albums are HDCD-encoded.

Sep 27, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #338 of 597
Hey y'all. My first post.

I've found a rather unexpected (to me, anyway) addition to the hip-hop section:

Edan: Beauty and the Beat (Lewis Recordings LEWIS007CD, 2005).

edan.jpg

The record is full of great old 1960s pop samples, and the aesthetic is decidedly lo-fi. Juxtaposed with the clarity and separation of Edan's vocals, it's really quite a sonic (and musical) treat!

There's no mention of HDCD anywhere on the packaging...

Cheers.

Sep 30, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #339 of 597
Hi all. First post.

I've got a few more to add:

Cake Like - Bruiser Queen
Cake Like - Goodbye, So What
The Presidents of the United States of America - Freaked Out & Small

and i think the hybrid SACD/cd versions of:
Aimee Mann - Lost In Space
Aimee Mann - Bachelor No. 2
are HDCD on the redbook portion.

> Nine Inch Nails: The Fragile ("Into the Void" only)

Why just one track? That's pretty odd. Even odder, on mine it doesn't kick in until about 5 seconds into the song, and it ends about 5 seconds into the following track.

Also odd: I have 2 discs that are labelled HDCD, both on the discs themselves and on the backs of the cases, but my players don't detect it:

King Crimson - Discipline (2001 30th Anniversary Edition, 24-bit remaster)
Ivy - Apartment Life (2003 Unfiltered Records reissue/remaster, not the original Sony550 release)

Oct 4, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #340 of 597
Very useful list, glad I found this.

Here's a few more discs that I didn't notice on the list...

J - Blood Muzik (2001, Universal Japan - not listed on case)
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UUCH-1040

J - Unstoppable Drive (2002, Universal Japan - listed on case)
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UPCH-1202

J - Glaring Sun (2005, Avex/Blowgrow - not listed on case)
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=AVCD-17803

Luna Sea - Never Sold Out (1999, Universal Japan - listed on case)
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=MVCH-30007

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #341 of 597
Sorry it took so long to get those two last posts up -- I was doing some work out of town for a few weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjm
> Nine Inch Nails: The Fragile ("Into the Void" only)

Why just one track? That's pretty odd. Even odder, on mine it doesn't kick in until about 5 seconds into the song, and it ends about 5 seconds into the following track.

I've taken it off the list now. I have to assume that's a technical glitch somehow -- maybe by pure chance it reads falsely as HDCD, but in any case I don't know that I could call the whole album an HDCD album based on that. Very curious.

Quote:

Also odd: I have 2 discs that are labelled HDCD, both on the discs themselves and on the backs of the cases, but my players don't detect it

That I'd put down to somebody changing their minds at the last minute, especially since they're both reissues -- getting the cover art ready takes a lot longer when it's being done from scratch, I assume, so it probably got done and forgotten about quickly. That's my guess, anyway.

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #342 of 597
Just FYI, my copy of Discipline (the recent remastered version) reads as an HDCD in my player, and sounds like it.

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #343 of 597
Quote:

Also odd: I have 2 discs that are labelled HDCD, both on the discs themselves and on the backs of the cases, but my players don't detect it:

King Crimson - Discipline (2001 30th Anniversary Edition, 24-bit remaster)
Ivy - Apartment Life (2003 Unfiltered Records reissue/remaster, not the original Sony550 release)

I too can name a few of such "false HDCDs". Some Hawaiian slack-key guitar CDs under George Winston's Dancing Cat label fall under this category. Examples:
  1. Night Moon by Cyril Pahinui -- label on disc but not on package
  2. Mana by James "Bla" Pahinui -- ditto

Also A Cutino by the Cuban music group La Familia Valera Miranda (released by the French label Naive) -- label on package and disc but, unfortunately, not the real mccoy.

Nov 9, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #344 of 597
Ancient Isle by Matt Enders

Celtic tunes played on fiddle and whistle, backed by drum machines. Mostly fresh-written; mostly cliched. The fiddle player is OK, but the zombie-like whistle is an ordeal to the ears -- it hulks especially on "Danny Boy", the only traditional number on this disc, while a ghastly, N'sync-ish drum loop cheers along. I dozed off long before the disc came to its second half, where there are indeed moments of prettiness. But all in all, this is kilted kitsch. Avoid.

Logo on package but not on disc.

Nov 12, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #345 of 597
Isotope 217 -- Utonian Automatic (Jazz)

I just bought a used copy of this cd and was pleasantly shocked when my player's HDCD light came on. There is no indication anywhere on the cd or packaging that this is HD, but the deck recognizes it and the sound is absolutely fantastic. (This is also my first Thrill Jockey cd, but based on the musical content and the quality of recording/production it will certainly not be my last. I did some searching of this forum on Thrill Jockey & Isotope 217 and found that I have much shopping to do.
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back