HD800 vs HE1000/MHP1000 impressions. Suprises all around!
Mar 20, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #121 of 317
@music alchemist
While 009 & 007 were clearly better than hd800, I am not so sure about the low level 207. As you move down the stax chain that wallofsound consistency starts to crack, the sound is not so smooth anymore and you lose bass. I'd say the 407 is still comparable to the hd800 and may be the best price/perf deal in the current stax line ... the 207 may be too low though

That's interesting indeed. Sticking to the "affordable" portion of the Stax line-up....could you please say more about the 407 vs 207 comparison?

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #122 of 317
That's interesting indeed. Sticking to the "affordable" portion of the Stax line-up....could you please say more about the 407 vs 207 comparison?

My friend told me this:

I've heard the SR-407 before at a local meet and I thought it was tamer on the upper-mids compared to the SR-207 in that it didn't seem as shouty to me. The SR-407 also seems to have a larger soundstage with better instrument separation and thus imaging, and the bass has a little bit more presence. I don't think it's worth the price difference though, and I hate the tan colour.

Hope she doesn't get mad that I'm quoting her.
ph34r.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #123 of 317
By the way, the only differences between the current STAX Lambda models (SR-207, 307, 407, & 507) are the ear pads, cables (different impedance and capacitance), enclosure materials, and aesthetics. They use the same drivers.

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #124 of 317

Unfortunatelly cant. Mostly concentrated on the 009/007, just tried a few lesser models to see if there really was a diff. And there was. I would say the 407 is still close enough to the flagships but the 207 was already quite far imho. And all were running through the totl stax amp. Normally you get the 207/407 as an amp+hp set and the lower level amps are weaker too.
Anyway, I wont buy a stax without listening first. Just find a dealer somewhere and try em.

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #125 of 317
Unfortunatelly cant. Mostly concentrated on the 009/007, just tried a few lesser models to see if there really was a diff. And there was. I would say the 407 is still close enough to the flagships but the 207 was already quite far imho. And all were running through the totl stax amp. Normally you get the 207/407 as an amp+hp set and the lower level amps are weaker too.
Anyway, I wont buy a stax without listening first. Just find a dealer somewhere and try em.

I would be interested in any thoughts on how the SR-207 and SR-009 differ.

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #130 of 317
I would be interested in any thoughts on how the SR-207 and SR-009 differ.

Than read my above posts :)
Sorry but can't tell you much more from an ~2min audition that hapened >3months ago. Looks, comfort, build quality, sound are all diff. The 009/007 flagships were special and I couldnt find any flaws while testing them for about 2-3h with all sorts of music. The 407 and 207 were just not on the same perfection level: not same as smooth and clean and with somewhat less bass. That's not to say they were bad. SQ wise I'd be very happy with a 407 / 207 too ... expecially if I never heard the flagships.

Just get out there and try them. No matter how much you read about em, that wont substitute an audition. And quite often the more you read the more confused you are.

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #131 of 317

My problem is I love all sorts of different sounds and want to make all headphones mine!
evil_smiley.gif

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel too, unfortunately, so I can relate. My usual habit is to listen to some music I like with one phone, the re-listen with another. Yesterday it was HD800 vs HE560...

By the way, the 009 is worlds' better than the old Lambda Nova Sig I used to have (at least with stax amps).
Bass, flow, silkiness of vocals, sweetness of highs (although the 009 highs are more prominent and extended), image separation, layering, and overall sense of rightness.
With the current low 009 price, I feel the 009 is the way to go with Stax if starting from scratch and you want to commit to an e-stat amp. Now is the time to do it with the strong dollar.

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #132 of 317
  Yeah, that's exactly how I feel too, unfortunately, so I can relate. My usual habit is to listen to some music I like with one phone, the re-listen with another. Yesterday it was HD800 vs HE560...

I believe it was earlier in this thread that I mentioned I would like to post a super-review of tons of headphones, except after they were all equalized to be as close to neutral as possible. That would be even more interesting than comparing the differences of the stock tunings.

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #133 of 317
By the way, the 009 is worlds' better than the old Lambda Nova Sig I used to have (at least with stax amps). Bass, flow, silkiness of vocals, sweetness of highs (although the 009 highs are more prominent and extended), image separation, layering, and overall sense of rightness.
With the current low 009 price, I feel the 009 is the way to go with Stax if starting from scratch and you want to commit to an e-stat amp. Now is the time to do it with the strong dollar.

Except the SRS-2170 is the only STAX I can afford in the immediate future, and only if imported from Japan. But hopefully in a few months' time, I'll be able to get the SR-009 and a good amp. Any thoughts on differences between amps you've heard with the SR-009?

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #134 of 317
No phone is best in every way. Each good phone brings something else valuable to the table and it is very rewarding musically to listen regularly to a variety of them. It is good exercise for the musical sensory system. 

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #135 of 317
  Ah nice! Do you think my impression of the two is accurate? I'd really love to know, since my demo with the MPH1000 was so short. It may be my next headphone.

Yes, pretty much dovetails what I hear. What I love about the MPH1000 is that it never fails to satisfy. Some headphones sound great one day and not so great on another.

I read the MPH1000 was made by Beyerdynamic (confirmed by a MacIntosh rep) and is essentially an updated T1.

And I read that the HE1000 was made by timber wolves and is essentially an updated House Of Marley job....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back