HD800 vs HE1000/MHP1000 impressions. Suprises all around!
Mar 20, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #109 of 317
  Isn't there some kind of output booster I can hook up to my amp to use with a converter?

As far as I know, you cannot use your existing headphone amp with electrostatic converters. Aside from lacking sufficient power, there is different technology involved, and attempting to do so could damage your equipment. I think it's because the converters require a lot of current, which speaker amps provide. There are plenty of cheap speaker amps out there, though most people who own dedicated electrostatic headphone amplifiers insist that they sound much better than with a speaker amp and converter.

Here's a little insider info, though, in case you ever decide to get 'stats.

The SR-009 and most other STAX headphones have an optimal power input (as in how much power it needs before the sound quality stops improving, at which time more power would just yield more headroom) of 900 Vpp. For the SR-007, it's 1,100 Vpp.

Background info about the voltage specs:

Vpeak to peak is defined as the voltage measured between the maximum Positive and Negative Amplitudes on the sine wave.

vpp.gif

The Vrms is defined as square root of the mean of the squares of the values for the one time period of the sine wave.

Following is the formula for Vpp to Vrms conversion.

Vrms = 0.3535 * Vpp

And here is a thread with voltage ratings for some of the amps:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/582518/electrostatic-amplifiers-voltage-ratings

I'm not quite sure about the current (as opposed to voltage) requirements, though. The most common amp people say is the best for the SR-007 is the BHSE (HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE), which costs $6-7K and has a very long wait period (some people waited over two years) after a 1/4 deposit. But that's just if you want the cream of the crop. Some 'stat amps with enough power are much more affordable.

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #110 of 317
  I'd say the SR-007 since they are supposedly more euphonic, and euphony is the goal of my search. I am a bit addicted to the high end sound of my HD800s though, so I still want at least the same level of sound quality.

usually when people say euphonic, they are referring to an 'organic presentation' that is the exact opposite of the HD800's 'clinical presentation' ...sooo... might wanna be careful about that.

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #111 of 317
yep but for me is more colored into an manner that render the music more enjoyable

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #112 of 317
  usually when people say euphonic, they are referring to an 'organic presentation' that is the exact opposite of the HD800's 'clinical presentation' ...sooo... might wanna be careful about that.

yeah that's kind of the conundrum. I just need to find out what type of "colored" sound I like.
For example, the TH900 had recessed mids and too much bass. but even so it gave me a sort of ear euphoria that distracted me from concentrating on work while listening to them. That is something that does not happen with the HD800.

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #114 of 317
Mar 20, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #117 of 317
  yeah that's kind of the conundrum. I just need to find out what type of "colored" sound I like.
For example, the TH900 had recessed mids and too much bass. but even so it gave me a sort of ear euphoria that distracted me from concentrating on work while listening to them. That is something that does not happen with the HD800.

i know what you mean. i have both as well, and listen to the th900 80% of the time b/c they're much more engaging. they may not be "neutral," but they're still very detailed and transparent...

Mar 20, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #119 of 317

i know what you mean. i have both as well, and listen to the th900 80% of the time b/c they're much more engaging. they may not be "neutral," but they're still very detailed and transparent...

Sadly I traded the TH900 for my HD800. I do miss them.
  I totally need those poke'mon headphones though.

I know, right? =D

They would go perfectly right next to my HD800s.

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #120 of 317
Given the one thing I have posted on this thread prior to the post inquiring to whom it was directed (and hitherto clarified by the other as not referencing me), your post is absolutely absurd.

a pedant with attitude lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back