HD800 vs HE1000/MHP1000 impressions. Suprises all around!
Mar 20, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #92 of 317
The SR-009 and SR-007 are two of the few high-end headphones on my "definitely buy someday" list. I suppose someday, I may be able to just buy all the high-end headphones that interest me and not worry about budget, but for the next year or two, I have to prioritize.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #93 of 317
It's of my philosophy that you should "buy once and buy right" instead of buying low(er) end and then buying again later. Generally speaking with this philosophy you get both higher quality and higher enjoyment. Like buying a quality soldering iron vs a crappy one, the crappy one will probably be more of a pain to use and will probably need to be replaced after a bit.
It's a bit hard to do with headphones because you really gotta try them all out. But if you think you can score with a particular headphone I think it would make more sense to simply save up for it. Totally worth the wait.

For me in particular. I doubt I will ever be able to demo the stax line so it is difficult for me to purchase them considering they require a specific type of amp.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #94 of 317
  It's of my philosophy that you should "buy once and buy right" instead of buying low(er) end and then buying again later. Generally speaking with this philosophy you get both higher quality and higher enjoyment. Like buying a quality soldering iron vs a crappy one, the crappy one will probably be more of a pain to use and will probably need to be replaced after a bit.
It's a bit hard to do with headphones because you really gotta try them all out. But if you think you can score with a particular headphone I think it would make more sense to simply save up for it. Totally worth the wait.

For me in particular. I doubt I will ever be able to demo the stax line so it is difficult for me to purchase them considering they require a specific type of amp.

They do require a dedicated electrostatic headphone amplifier (either that or a converter powered by a speaker amp), but like I mentioned before, the entry-level STAX system is under $400 if imported from Japan. The fact that at least one person I know loves it, yet disliked the SR-009 is pretty impressive, though I'm sure I would like the SR-009 more.

I'm in a somewhat unique position in that I'm not worried about electrostatic headphones' bass response compared to planar magnetics, since I bought the JVC HA-SZ2000, which is widely considered to be the ultimate basshead headphone. (I still want the Abyss, though!)

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #95 of 317
Hmmm, there's a electrostatic converter? Oh damn, I did not know this.
eek.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #103 of 317
  Yeah I've actually read that before, it kinda puts me back at square one with electrostats though, since I own a headphone amp.

Which electrostatic headphones are you interested in?

The SR-009 is pretty expensive, but there are more affordable ones that cost far less than the HD 800, even when you throw in an e-stat amp.

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #104 of 317
Also, since you are looking to buy a new DAC, you could instead try out electrostats for lower than your DAC budget.

(I would advise properly comparing affordable and expensive DACs before keeping an expensive one.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back