HD800 vs HE1000/MHP1000 impressions. Suprises all around!
Mar 20, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #77 of 317
I edited my previous post, when I said not realistic and not neutral, I'm hyperbolic. Yes it's one of the most neutral on frequency balance but I didn't think it's the most realistic. When I read realistic it means for me that the sound coming from headphone is the same sound as you hear in real life.
It's open question as everyone has his own definition of realistic or neutral or taste.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #78 of 317
  IMHO the HD800 is not realistic.

The HD800 does not sound "real" on my current home set up (yet). But it did on the EF1000 amp. The hd800 will sound different on everything, so I think it's really hard to make a general assumption about them, they change their sound based on whether it's sunny or rainy outside.
That being said I can accept the possibility that "realism" is subjective.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #79 of 317
IMHO the HD800 is not realistic.

i agree. they are too bright to be a realistic portrayal of music, but if u r looking for hyperdetailed/high resolution with a 'clinical presentation' & a focus on the micro-details, they work very well. ymmv

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #80 of 317
I have not heard the SR-009 or the Abyss. However I've been told that after listening to the SR-009 that you will hear the flaws in the HD800s. Flaws that I currently do not see exist.
The HE-1000 did not make me see the flaws in my HD800. They are just like the LCD-xc or other similar headphones. They aren't "better" just different, and to be completely honest, I did not feel that the HE1000 had many if any actual performance increases over the HD800.
Like I said though they really have a "relax in a cozy chair next to a fire" kind of sound(at least that's the way I describe it). The hd800s don't really have a "kick back and relax" sound at all.

Many thx for your hype-free review, it's very refreshing to see such things still exist.

I did test 009 and 800 side by side and I can fully confirm what you wrote: the 800 sounds flawed near the 009... and that's not some subtle diff but immediately audible. The 009 sounds cleaner, clearer, more relaxed and has an unmatched consistency over the entire freq spectrum ... you dont hear lows, mids, highs anymore but a continuous and consistent wall of sound. It's quite impressive. And looks like the 1000 is simply not in the same league.
(the 009/007 were connected to the totl stax amp and the 800 to the senn totl headphone amp ... I'd say the comparison was as much as possible apple to apple in that respect)

@music alchemist
While 009 & 007 were clearly better than hd800, I am not so sure about the low level 207. As you move down the stax chain that wallofsound consistency starts to crack, the sound is not so smooth anymore and you lose bass. I'd say the 407 is still comparable to the hd800 and may be the best price/perf deal in the current stax line ... the 207 may be too low though

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #82 of 317
i agree. they are too bright to be a realistic portrayal of music, but if u r looking for hyperdetailed/high resolution with a 'clinical presentation' & a focus on the micro-details, they work very well. ymmv

To be honest, I never understood the whole "too bright" thing. I've tried many headphones and I still don't see the "brightness" in comparison. Maybe I just don't mind the brightness so it doesn't bother me? I'm not really sure.
All I can say for myself is that, when I close my eyes and imagine being on stage with the singer, the HD800 over the EF1000 amp mimics what I imagine it sounding like. I mean I do live in real life after all
wink.gif
. I didn't get the impression of "reproduced sound".
But YMMV with everything.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #83 of 317
Many thx for your hype-free review, it's very refreshing to see such things still exist.

I did test 009 and 800 side by side and I can fully confirm what you wrote: the 800 sounds flawed near the 009... and that's not some subtle diff but immediately audible. The 009 sounds cleaner, clearer, more relaxed and has an unmatched consistency over the entire freq spectrum ... you dont hear lows, mids, highs anymore but a continuous and consistent wall of sound. It's quite impressive. And looks like the 1000 is simply not in the same league.
(the 009/007 were connected to the totl stax amp and the 800 to the senn totl headphone amp ... I'd say the comparison was as much as possible apple to apple in that respect)

Your making me want the 009.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #84 of 317

@music alchemist
While 009 & 007 were clearly better than hd800, I am not so sure about the low level 207. As you move down the stax chain that wallofsound consistency starts to crack, the sound is not so smooth anymore and you lose bass. I'd say the 407 is still comparable to the hd800 and may be the best price/perf deal in the current stax line ... the 207 may be too low though

Yes I share the same feeling as you. I prefer the SR007MKI over the SR009 because it has less treble, more meatier sounds and a more consistent wall of sound. Yes I prefer a more euphonic sound.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #85 of 317
To be honest, I never understood the whole "too bright" thing. I've tried many headphones and I still don't see the "brightness" in comparison. Maybe I just don't mind the brightness so it doesn't bother me? I'm not really sure.
All I can say for myself is that, when I close my eyes and imagine being on stage with the singer, the HD800 over the EF1000 amp mimics what I imagine it sounding like. I mean I do live in real life after all
wink.gif
. I didn't get the impression of "reproduced sound".
But YMMV with everything.

It is most noticeable with certain female vocals and string instruments. The tonality does not sound correct in comparison to live music. Since I used to play the violin, it bothers me when violins sound too bright or too sharp. Of course, if that is what you are used to that sort of sound signature, then the extra 'sparkle' or 'crispness' can be very enjoyable.

You can notice the brightness of the HD800 also when you direct compare it against other neutral-oriented headphones with warmer sound signatures. The most polar opposite one I can think of off the top of my head would be comparing the PM-1 (warmer take on neutral) vs the HD800 (brighter take on neutral), though I would admit the HD800 handily beats the PM1 in a lot of technical aspects unrelated to presentation, so that might not be a fair fight. I do kinda view the PM-1 as one of the lesser technically capable flagships out there, but for talking about the brightness & warmth comparison to illustrate the differences, that kind of comparison would illustrate the difference. Audeze headphones are also on the darker side of neutral, though they do seem to have some subtle coloration, so not sure if they are truly neutral. The LCD-3 seems to subtly emphasis the mid-range while the LCD-X has a slight bass-focus. Though I expect that they are neutral enough that for comparison purposes to illustrate bright vs dark sound sigs, directing comparing either of them against the hd800 would work.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #86 of 317
All I can say for myself is that, when I close my eyes and imagine being on stage with the singer, over the EF1000 amp it did sound exactly like i was there.

That is very personal. I am one of those "too bright" people. BD's 990/880/770 series pierce my ears with needles after max 20 mins. Senn hd800 is acceptable but still cannot use it for more that 1h or so ... guess it's my upper limit. With some EQ it's all ok.

OTOH, never had the sensation from stax HPs although their highs are at least same as detailed as hd800.
And btw, havent done a careful soundstage comparison between the 800 and stax 009/007. I'd say the 800 stage was larger but I did not feel like anything was lost when moving to stax ... on the contrary. If only they werent tied to that special amp ... zero portability is a deal breaker for me cause I travel a lot.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #87 of 317

If it's not too much trouble, could you compare the HD 800, all the electrostatic headphones you've heard, and the Abyss for me? (From memory, I think you used to own the Abyss.)

I will try to be very synthetic because I owned so many headphone and amp...I will just write about the headphone I like the best.
Yes I owned the Abyss and I feel it has the best bass that can shake your head. The downside it's the mids that has a certain hollowness and the treble a bit weird resonnance. For I price I can' tolerate this.

I like very much the SR007 and SR009 because they are very consist accross all frequency and has wall of sound. I prefer the SR007 because it is more euphonic, darker ,meatier and mids is just to die. This headphone gives me chills !

I like the HE6 and HE5LE because they are organic and they sound more the SR007 than an HD800. I wanted to hear an modded HE6.
I owned the HD800 during 1,5 years with the Anax 3.0 mod and an DHC cable and I always found it too bright and thin.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #89 of 317
It depends how loud and what kind of music your hear...

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #90 of 317
  I will try to be very synthetic because I owned so many headphone and amp...I will just write about the headphone I like the best.
Yes I owned the Abyss and I feel it has the best bass that can shake your head. The downside it's the mids that has a certain hollowness and the treble a bit weird resonnance. For I price I can' tolerate this.

I like very much the SR007 and SR009 because they are very consist accross all frequency and has wall of sound. I prefer the SR007 because it is more euphonic, darker and meatier. 

I like the HE6 and HE5LE because they are organic and they sound more the SR007 than an HD800. I wanted to hear an modded HE6.
I owned the HD800 during 1,5 years with the Anax 3.0 mod and an DHC cable and I always found it too bright and thin.

Whats the street price on the SR007?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back