HD800 vs HE1000/MHP1000 impressions. Suprises all around!
Mar 22, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #151 of 317
If you're in the UK, you can get a free pair of the MHP1000 with any McIntosh pre/amp purchase in March. 

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/mcintosh-march-madness-free-mhp1000-headphone-worth-1995-with-any-prepower-amp-purchased-in-march/

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #152 of 317
  I go to all kinds of best buys often. I've never seen flagship headphones in them, their website doesn't have them either. I've never heard of a "Magnolia" Best Buy though.

Magnolia is a store within the store, only at some Best Buy locations, that has higher-end headphones. I've been to one, though it only had $100-400 models. The Best Buy website has some high-end headphones as well.

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #153 of 317
It's not easy to find in the US either. In fact I think you must contact mcintosh or a mcintosh supplier directly to order a pair. It's no wonder I've never heard of them.
Even google doesn't know what they are :confused: . They would certainly benefit from a little marketing since they were clearly a superior version of the HD800 when I demoed them side by side.

Better than hd800 sounds even more interesting. Are they somewhat portable? Say, would you use them on a plane?

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #154 of 317
Better than hd800 sounds even more interesting. Are they somewhat portable? Say, would you use them on a plane?

Shoot, I'd totally use open headphones on a plane.
cool.gif

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #156 of 317
Well they look like this http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/categorylanding.aspx?CatId=Headphones. Depends on what you mean by portable. But yeah, ofc I'd bring them on a plane.

Thx @coinmaster. Saw them on the web, just wanted to know how do they feel in person. If they are not bigger than the beyer T1 and build to last like most german HPs, they'll be a good match for me. I travel a lot and would need something than can be used in a train/plane and can take the road's wear & tear.
Guess I'll have to look for mcintosh/finesounds dealers and maybe I get lucky.

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #157 of 317
I don't really remember how they feel exactly. Definitely not uncomfortable. I don't think there exists a better closed back headphone and I used to own the TH900 as well. It doesn't seem I'm the only one who feels this way. It really depends on whether you want to subject a 2000$ headphone to travel abuse. They did feel sturdy when I held them.

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #158 of 317

I know, I wuz just in a humorous mood
biggrin.gif

The MPH1000 has Tesla technology so the driver is likely of Beyer design. The bails also look Beyer-like. The sound is not. The T1 makes my ears bleed and has no musical warmth to it. The MPH1000 has none of these issues, and sounds remarkably well balanced and spacious, to my ears....esp for a closed 'phone.

How is the sound isolation and comfort? And would these work great with an iPhone 5S? 

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #159 of 317
I don't really remember how they feel exactly. Definitely not uncomfortable. I don't think there exists a better closed back headphone and I used to own the TH900 as well. It doesn't seem I'm the only one who feels this way. It really depends on whether you want to subject a 2000$ headphone to travel abuse. They did feel sturdy when I held them.

I'm not really sure about putting 2k HPs on the road but paying 2k for a pair that stays at home while I travel constantly makes even less sense :).
I would prefer something in the 1k range but dont know anything else that would fit the reqs. Th900 are kinda bassy for my taste and the alphadogs are monsters ... and none of them seems particularly sturdy. May just go with custom inears in the end ... Westone es50 look pretty good.
Anyway, if you know any other good sounding & sturdy closed HPs pls advise.

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #162 of 317

How is the sound isolation and comfort? And would these work great with an iPhone 5S? 

Very good.

I don't have an iPhone 5S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back