HD800 vs AH-D7000
Feb 18, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #77 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is the quote:

Mention a flaw of any other over $1000 headphone---GS1000 too tipped up at both ends; Denon D-7000 a bit too much bass; AKG K1000 to hard to drive and poor extension; Sony R10 just bit too loose sounding; Stax Omega poor bass and dynamics; etc---and get rid of the problem. That's the HD800.

from here.

Boy, they sure do sound good. I do not know how I will resist!

Good review, but I found this part interesting and confusing:

Quote:

The price will be $1399.95. Sennheiser (and many high-end product manufacturers) have come to realize how important it is for a products success to not be heavily discounted. It cheapens the perceived value of the product, and it doesn't allow for the competent sales effort needed to help customers understand the values of the product during the sales process, and to properly service customers after the sale.

So charging more or not discounting the price cheapens the perceived value?
confused.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #78 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Used to able to get it at that price at J&R.com

Yeah, I know. It's back to a ludicrous $999 now though.

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #79 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good review, but I found this part interesting and confusing:

So charging more or not discounting the price cheapens the perceived value?
confused.gif

No, he is saying that when you discount a product heavily it lessens the perceived value. He probably should have used "quality" instead of "value". Either way, this is true in a lot of instances...for example, once a headphone's retail price is over $1000, most of us here expect it to be high or on another level than other headphones priced at $500 msrp.

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #81 of 150
Insanity = 6 pages of arguments with walls of text explaining a comparison that nobody has really been able to hear. Great I'll add some more:

I thought the Markl modded D5000 was competent from top to bottom (aside from club sounding bass), but it did nothing for me. At the same meet, I was much more interested in the Stax Lambdas which I ended up buying and gave to a friend after comparing to the my current phones. There was no magical quality on the Denons or anything else to my ears.

It's great to throw around technical specs, but the reality is I MUCH MUCH preferred the GS-1000 which does have a magical quality and is far more musical and more natural sounding regardless of FR graphs and extensions and all the other stuff people substitute for actualy listening enjoyment. Others have a different taste and prefer the Denons, like anything else around here.

I trust Markl and I guess he just has different taste than I do. I'm not a huge fan of the R10 (think it is overpriced), but it does some wonderful things and is in league far above the Denons - for my taste anyway.

The Denon simply did nothing for me. I would be blown away if the D7000 could really compete with the HD800. But that doesn't mean that bass heads or those that like the Denon won't prefer them. So, it'd be nuts to try and convince me otherwise, since my ears have had the final say about this, and it would also be nuts if I didn't trust others here that think the Denons are the greatest thing ever. I can pretty much guess that they will be in the minority...

We are all speculating, so that is my speculation.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #83 of 150
well all i have heard is HD800 is kinda like L3000 and K1000 mix together but it is kind of near to K1000 with the natuaral sounds..
but R10 is still better
But i would get HD800 and spend my money to the cable and amp
because it cost less than get rare R10 and that headphone also need great system though..
i think the HD is sounds not quite near D7000..

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #84 of 150
I went to J&R in Manhattan 2 weeks ago to check on my backordered d7000 and the guy busted out an HD800 from under the counter and let me demo it (with my ipod) ...I kicked myself for leaving my duet at home! It sounded really good, and the earpads were nice and big. It felt nice on my head and the robustness of the phone was nice. It felt solid in my hands. When he pulled it up on the screen it said ABSOLUTELY NO DISCOUNT ...for my money, I'll wait out my order on the D7000 since I liked the closed nature.... the HD800 was nice and airy though!

Jul 7, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #85 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wonder if anyone that have tried PRO 900s for example actually preferred any type of Denons over it and what they found was better/more accurate or more fun sound quality wise
smily_headphones1.gif

I've got Ultrasone PRO 750s, Senn HD650s, and Denon D7000 coming tomorrow. I will have to report back once I get the Denons burned in a bit. I'm hoping they will strike more of a middle ground between the Senns and the 'Sones. The HD650s can be really great on some material but just not be as involving as you might like. The 'Sones are very up front and hit hard. I'm curious about what a Silver Dragon recable would do for them because I would like to tame the highs and focus the bass, reduce boom, and help the mids. Maybe that is asking too much out of a cable.

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #86 of 150
Denon D7000 are the most comfortable headphones I have ever used or any headphone that I have ever had the pleasure to put on my head. I can listen to them for hours and forget that I am even wearing them. As far looks go I think they are one of the most beautiful headphones ever made. The sound is absolutely stunning. It is the most natural sound I have heard from a headphone, detailed, and musical. I have had the HD650 before and they didn't just sound right to me. I don't get all the fuss about them? When I initially purchased the HD650 I read all the rave reviews etc... I finally received them and starting playing some tracks I was waiting to be blown away and I was questioning myself is this what they sound like? I was very disappointed. I thought well maybe my ears will get used to them. I just could not get into them at all and said to myself I can't force myself to like something I don't like. I decided to try out the Denon D7000 and I was blown away at the very first track track I played. The Denon D7000 are an excellent all rounder headphone. I'm surprised they don't get as much attention around here. You get a creamy listening experience and you get to feel the artists emotions, unlike the HD650 which sounded lifeless. I'm very happy with the D7000 and will not be thinking of buying another headphone as long as these last me or until Denon comes with something better
biggrin.gif
. It's going to be hard to top them though.

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #88 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by yanfeng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am hesitating between the two.
Any further comparison?

HD800>>>>>D7000

I purchased the D7000 new. Owned it for less than two weeks and quickly sold it. The midrange and highs are just strange to my ears and the bass was a bit overdone and lacking quality. IMO it is just nowhere near the HD800 in any category, especially musicality, transient response, detail retrieval, technical ability, overall dynamics and speed. I'm not a big fan of the Edition 9 either, but I would even take it over the D7000. The Denon sound just isn't for me. Compared to the other high end headphones I have owned and sold, it was the one that I recall most as having something artificial about its sound.

If you can get J&R to honor their former $550 price, buy the D7000s new along with a new pair of HD800s and try them side by side for yourself. Unless the price difference was a huge factor for you, I would be shocked if you chose the Denon over the Sennheiser.

Aug 4, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #89 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by unlimited /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well all i have heard is HD800 is kinda like L3000 and K1000 mix together but it is kind of near to K1000 with the natuaral sounds..
but R10 is still better
But i would get HD800 and spend my money to the cable and amp
because it cost less than get rare R10 and that headphone also need great system though..
i think the HD is sounds not quite near D7000..

The HD800 is nothing like the L3000. It's hard to even compare the two. The L3000 has great PRAT and the HD800 does not. Without capturing the rhythm the way I like it, I didn't have much interest in the HD800. The L3000 also has sweeter mids than the HD800. The HD800 seemed to be extremely neutral but less enjoyable the HP-2 to me. I've only heard the K1000 a few times and know I prefer those over the HD800 as well. I seem to be one of a handful that didn't like the overall sound of the HD800, so I take what I say with a grain of salt.

Aug 4, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #90 of 150
HD800 is indeed a way better cans than D7000 in every aspect. The HD800 might not have the bass of D7000 but it has more of quality than quantity. In my system, HD800 bass can hit really low and tight. As a open cans, it also has better imaging and soundstage. Its detail and transparency makes D7000 sound muddy and boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back