HD800 - to be or not to be
Jun 16, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #16 of 54

Quote:
Yes, thanks to extremely finicky and easily bored Head-fiers out there, there are a bunch of HD800s out there being unloaded because they have somehow gone from being the greatest headphone in the world for the past year, to somehow being 'very unnatural sounding' and not that great :wink:

Trust me, these are awesome headphones that are arguably the best dynamic can ever engineered and well worth asking price...as long as you have good equipment feeding them.

Hey, I agree with you. I'm keeping mine.
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #17 of 54

Quote:
Yes, thanks to extremely finicky and easily bored Head-fiers out there, there are a bunch of HD800s out there being unloaded because they have somehow gone from being the greatest headphone in the world for the past year, to somehow being 'very unnatural sounding' and not that great :wink:

Trust me, these are awesome headphones that are arguably the best dynamic can ever engineered and well worth asking price...as long as you have good equipment feeding them.

I couldn't agree more!!

But I also agree with the others that taste still comes into play, even with the HD800's. If you listened to them and loved their sound, then I definitely vote a yes on getting them.

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #18 of 54
I have had my HD 800 for about a year now and use them for editing and mastering CDs.

I find them excellent and revealing and the closest I have heard to listening to the music in the room with my own ears - and that's why I use them for mastering.

I use the Grace m902 amplifier - but they also work well with the Lehmann Black Cube which you may just be able to get with your budget (on the limit, though).

Jun 16, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #19 of 54
I've had a pair for almost a week now and I'm more and more impressed with them.  First, they have a great soundstage - no compressed aural image in my head.  Second, they are accurate as I don't hear any coloration.  Third, they are comfortable - not insignificant to me.  Fourth, they seem to call to me - I can't stay away from them.  I wake up early and jump out of bed as I'll have a longer listen - that's never happened to me.  Fifth, they are expensive - not just the headphones themselves.  Last night I found myself on the woo audio site ordering a new amp (never had tubes - thought the HD800s were a reason to try).  Then somehow all sorts of CDs keep finding their way through my mail slot from Amazon with more on the way.

I'm not regretting the price for what I'm getting.

Oct 18, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #20 of 54
I haven't looked back since buying the HD800.  These things have a more speaker-like sound that trounces any other headphone I've put over (or in) my ears.  They improve dramatically with associated equipment upgrades, too.  I've always been a long time Sennheiser fan, and I am a serious amateur violinist in local / regional symphonies - these headphones do "real" better than any other.  I listen to a lot of really weird electronic music, and a lot of rock, and these styles of music sound great on the 800s, too.

Audition before you buy, though, one person's medicine is another's poison and if you're not up for the brutally neutral, electrostatic-like accuracy of the HD800s, you'll regret having spent upwards of a thousand on a pair of cans!

Peace

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #21 of 54

Quote:
I haven't looked back since buying the HD800.  These things have a more speaker-like sound that trounces any other headphone I've put over (or in) my ears.  They improve dramatically with associated equipment upgrades, too.  I've always been a long time Sennheiser fan, and I am a serious amateur violinist in local / regional symphonies - these headphones do "real" better than any other.  I listen to a lot of really weird electronic music, and a lot of rock, and these styles of music sound great on the 800s, too.

Audition before you buy, though, one person's medicine is another's poison and if you're not up for the brutally neutral, electrostatic-like accuracy of the HD800s, you'll regret having spent upwards of a thousand on a pair of cans!

Peace

Hahaha... I was just lurking the LCD-2 thread and your second paragraph brings a smile to my face.   Oh what moving targets neutrality and accuracy are!!  Not to mention your considering the HD800's as doing 'real' better than any other. 
smile.gif

I find the HD800's to be the best I've personally experienced and it has quite effectively killed my yearning for anything else.  Not so much because of balance, but because of the natural and effortless presentation of the sound.  Truly special from my POV.  Does 'natural' imply 'real' and 'accurate'?  I'm not implying this, though these have to present as well for the level of impact and satisfaction that I experience.  For instance, I love the HD650's as well since they are able to confer realism and accuracy very well, but the way they present the sound isn't the same.  It's more artificial in that you're more conscious of a headphone experience with soundstage issues etc.  You're aware of drivers trying to do their best and impressively so, with rendering bass.  However, the HD800's simply deliver.  At first, I was stunned by this, but now I just enjoy.... 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #23 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by SP Wild 

How about a LCD-2 and an amp to drive them for that kind of cash.

No thanks.  Upon lurking the LCD-2 thread, I happened on a stage of the discussion covering neck pain issues secondary to weight and such.  I'll definitely pass.  Love my HD800's too much and I've done enough side-stepping in quality rather than steps forward despite all the hype surrounding the new product.  It's amazing, but despite all the adulation, 10yrs from now, the LCD-2 will not be considered in the same way and there'll be even more realism to purchase and enjoy.  Funny that we've been so close for so long and we still can't seem to get there.

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #24 of 54
I own HD800,ED8,T1 and DX1000.They are all very good cans.But if I have to pick one I would say the T1.
The T1 is an allrounder.You may hate the HD800 becuase of lacking  the bass slam(or peak treble etc.) . You may hate the  DX1000 because of theirs too heavy Bass (or strange color sound etc.)
ED8 are decent enough to make almost everything sounds good and look great but compared to the T1 they are just a level below.
The only problem with T1 is ,that you have to buy a decent amp ,which can drive them (600 ohm ).

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #25 of 54
^ that is absolute truth lol, couldnt have said that better

The Hd800 has the best audio quality and is the king and supreme ruler of classical and natural space,  but the T1 and Eddy8 are great on all levels.  I miss my T1 *salutes lol

Oct 19, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #27 of 54
From reading impression threads I can tell you the Audeze LCD-2 has the best sound as of this very moment but it's also very uncomfortable. If comfort is an issue it comes down to the Sennheiser HD 800 or Beyerdynamic Tesla T1.

Get the Sennheiser HD 800 if you listen to slow or medium paced classical, jazz, live, or similar music. The reason being the Sennheiser HD 800 is technically less responsive and sounds more realistic than the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1.

Get the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 if you listen to fast paced rock, electronic, or similar music. The reason being the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 is faster and punchier and the lesser soundstage is not as benefical to these genres.

Basically the Sennheiser HD 800 is better for relaxing music and the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 is better for energetic music.

This is just what I've surmised from reading several detailed comparison threads. Hope it helped!

Personally I'm going for either the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 if I decide I want something for home use only or the Beyerdynamic T5P if I decide I want something portable.

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #28 of 54
i own both the HD800 and LCD2 and think they are both great. the 800 has a better sound stage and is preferred for classical but the LCD2 wins on midrange, which is a huge draw. i use them both equally. and don't forget about other models. i also own and use a fair deal an HD650 and RS1. both are pretty reasonably priced and when paired with a proper amp sound as good (or just about) as anything.

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #29 of 54
WRT comfort, I ranked comfort as HD800, LCD2, T1 from highest to lowest,  I don't find any of the cans uncomfortable at all...but am I the only one that finds my ears are somewhat folded out to fit the T1s earcups...makes the T1 less comfortable than the LCD2.  I am a perfectly healthy adult male, and hence no headphones will ever be too heavy for me, weight is a none issue with any headphones that I have had the pleasure to wear.

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #30 of 54
Quote:
From reading impression threads I can tell you the Audeze LCD-2 has the best sound as of this very moment but it's also very uncomfortable. If comfort is an issue it comes down to the Sennheiser HD 800 or Beyerdynamic Tesla T1.

Get the Sennheiser HD 800 if you listen to slow or medium paced classical, jazz, live, or similar music. The reason being the Sennheiser HD 800 is technically less responsive and sounds more realistic than the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1.

Get the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 if you listen to fast paced rock, electronic, or similar music. The reason being the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 is faster and punchier and the lesser soundstage is not as benefical to these genres.

Basically the Sennheiser HD 800 is better for relaxing music and the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 is better for energetic music.

This is just what I've surmised from reading several detailed comparison threads. Hope it helped!

Personally I'm going for either the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 if I decide I want something for home use only or the Beyerdynamic T5P if I decide I want something portable.

I stopped listening after "From reading impressions threads...".

Seriously people, if you have never heard the headphone(s) in question, please don't try to provide impressions based on what you have heard/read.

It's completely pointless and you will just end up getting it all wrong like WalkmanMan did here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back