HD800 ear fatigue
Jan 10, 2011 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Nicklasb

New Head-Fier

[size=medium]
Hey

Had a pair of HD800 + MF M1 HPA for 3 days now listining alot and often longer periods. I experience my ears getting "tired" after a while. should i worry ? i do like the sound of this combo otherwise but i dont have much to compare to. If i return these i would have to get either the Ultrasone Edition 8 or the Beyerdynamic T1. Would these 2 headphones be easier on the ears ?

What causes ones ears to get tired from the headphones ? never had this problem with my old HD650 that i had for over 3 years. Is it because the HD800 are a bit brighter or ?

Could replacing the Headphone amp help with this issue or should i be looking for new headphones ?

Any tips would be appreciated.
[/size]

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 12
HD800 is indeed brighter than HD650. Then again, HD650 is one of the darkest phones there is.

Amp does matter, but amp does not change the signature of a headphone. If you think HD800 is too bright, either sell it or simply listen to it for two weeks for your brain to adjust. I think many people can agree with me you can turn down the volume with HD800.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 12
HD650 is one of the most easy-listening headphones around. The T1 and HD 800 are both pretty much the opposite if you ask me, that´s why I sold my HD 800. Some say you can tone it down with certain sources (amps/DAC´s) though. The T1 and HD 800 both have a treble spike and are prone to sibilance, but they do it in a bit different way. The only way to know is to try them out. 

The LCD-2 are also easy-listening, but they have a very different sound than either the HD 800 or the T1.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 12
First day i couldnt decide if my ears were getting tired because i was listening to loud or other reasons, yesterday and today i been lowering the volume to try and rule out but still same problem. Is it possible that my ears get used to the sound and adjust or ?.

Also gets me worried that i tend to pull up the volume to much cos maybe i want more bass? anyone else had similar problems and possible solutions ?

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 12
Been very interested in the LCD-2 but they arent available here in sweden. and i dont wanna order from the states. How do the Edition 8s compare to the hd650 on being "easy to listen to" then ?

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 12
Why not order from the states? It's only going to cost you the extra shipping cost for over seas, and tax+vat of course.
Quote:
Been very interested in the LCD-2 but they arent available here in sweden. and i dont wanna order from the states. How do the Edition 8s compare to the hd650 on being "easy to listen to" then ?

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 12
Things with certain facts that are undisputable i can order online, like computers and such, the tech specs says all about the product. Headphones are so much about personal taste so i want the possibility to return the goods if im not happy. The HD800 i can return hence why im asking for advise, also the 1 month waittime of the LCD-2 sucks imo.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 12
That's how I felt too when I had my HD800. I paired it with a Lehmann BCL and it got a little better, but I decided that could not use it for hours and hours. My ears felt tired. In the end, I sold the HD800.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 12
Suprisingly many here have sold their HD 800 for that precise reason. I think the HD 800 is a "wow" headphone. It makes easily the best impression when you´re listening to it the first time. But after you actually have it and start using it every day, you slowly start to build a deep hatred for the harsh sibilance etc. Some claim to have tamed it with a certain source combination though, but I didn´t want to spend thousands hunting that path.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Suprisingly many here have sold their HD 800 for that precise reason. I think the HD 800 is a "wow" headphone. It makes easily the best impression when you´re listening to it the first time. But after you actually have it and start using it every day, you slowly start to build a deep hatred for the harsh sibilance etc. Some claim to have tamed it with a certain source combination though, but I didn´t want to spend thousands hunting that path.

Bah as i suspected then, Reason for getting them was that my children broke my HD650 and buying the same feels boring. Guess ill go down and try the Edition 8s for a longer period. Don´t think the shop will let me have my money back but i can exchange them for other headphones, The Ultrasone´s seem so convienient as they are small and closed but i hate to feel that i am paying 4x the money just for that if i am not getting an upgrade in sound somehow. Bah this is a disaster. any headphones similar to the HD800 that don´t have this effect then ? 

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #11 of 12
The head-fi user oqvist is located in Sweden and he owns a pair of LCD-2 as far as I know,if you are lucky you can persuade him to let you listen to them, and he lives close enough to make it possible :wink:
Quote:
Things with certain facts that are undisputable i can order online, like computers and such, the tech specs says all about the product. Headphones are so much about personal taste so i want the possibility to return the goods if im not happy. The HD800 i can return hence why im asking for advise, also the 1 month waittime of the LCD-2 sucks imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back