HD800 driver positioning suggestions?
Mar 6, 2010 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bcwang

500+ Head-Fier
I've noticed the HD800 sound dramatically changes depending on where you place the drivers in relation to your ear. The HD800 earcups are even bigger than the K701, and the positioning options are many.

So far, in the few minutes I've been playing around, I found the lower and more forward the better it sounds, compared to how it sat when I first put it on in the most natural feeling position. I haven't hit the extremes yet, the cups are so expansive there is a lot more movement available. I'm going to give this position a try for a while.

In the meantime I'd like to hear from other HD800 owners what they find to be the best position to get optimum sound quality out of the HD800.

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 11
I think the backs of your cups are supposed to touch the backs of your ears. That's how I wear them. But experiment and see what works best for you.

I'm hoping to get a little listening in tonight... or I should say this morning. Just escaped the office and am having a little beer first.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the backs of your cups are supposed to touch the backs of your ears.

The odd thing is, I've noticed the opposite. I don't own the HD800, but every time I've heard them in meet environments I've worn them as per the above. But in today's mini meet I tried shifting them back a bit so that my ears were surrounded by empty space on all sides - aka, smack bang in the middle of the earcups, as near as I could get - and to me the imaging and clarity improved markedly.

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #4 of 11
I think there is a lot more to it than just back and forth. There is also tremendous space you can move it up and down without touching your ear. Then there is also angle, putting the headband more forward on the head, or more back, while keeping the earcups in the same position.

I think touching the ears puts the drivers so off position that the sound becomes dull for me. It is somewhere in between, lots of experimentation to do.

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The odd thing is, I've noticed the opposite. I don't own the HD800, but every time I've heard them in meet environments I've worn them as per the above. But in today's mini meet I tried shifting them back a bit so that my ears were surrounded by empty space on all sides - aka, smack bang in the middle of the earcups, as near as I could get - and to me the imaging and clarity improved markedly.

Exactly. Actually every headphone I've tried has benefited most from this positioning. I used to follow UE's method a few years back but I found it produced very little soundstaging behind me and compromised the width of the image as well. It sounds best to me when there's ample space around your entire ear because it feels like the sound is surrounding you, as opposed to just emanating from the front.

Mar 6, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 11
To me it sounds best very low and rather shifted to the back.

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 11
If you thing that positioning of the HD800 is critical wait until you try to Byerdynamic T1. It is starting to drive me crazy. People in another post is going gaga with the T1. I am not so sure and thought about selling them are staring to get in my mind. IMO the HD800 are far superior. Yes the bass of the T1 is louder and with more impact but the detail, soundsatging and total music presentation of the HD800 has no equal.

I position my HD800 low and very slightly backwards but almost centered.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 7, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #8 of 11
Or Ultrasones with their displaced drivers
wink.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #9 of 11
i find if the back of my ears are touching the earcups, the vocals sound really distant (also applies if the cups are too low), and the soundstage sort of closes a bit. However, it does reduce a bit of shrillness in the trebles.

The best position for me is having the the back of the earcups about 0.5cm away from the back of my ears.

Sep 16, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 11
i am glad that its not just me who thinks about such things, thought i was crazy....sitting and moving my hd800 by millimeters around my ear and see Changes.

i prefer my hd800 to kind of hang gently over the ear, not pressed to it ( for that you need to find the right angle)
And of course, no touching!
If only they were made of glass so i could see where my ear is, they are so huge that i easily get lost in them but i am guessing my ear is raither a bit in the back than in the middle, because of the angled driver, this way it gives soundstage more air to breath.  Having them low emphases  midrange and hights but takes away depth and authority that bass brings, i recomend having them in the middle.

P.s
i adjust my phones without Music playing, having Music on distacts, once i have them where i want them then i turn on the Music and adjust some more.

How long does it take you to adjust your hd800 ?    /// Artur from Sweden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back