HD800 and T1 musings...
Jan 3, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #961 of 1,024
  Great review.  just what I needed as I am on the fence if I should get the HD800 or T1.  from the impression I get the T1 bass has a little more impact, that makes them more suitable for metal?
I really love tight and impactful bass, with punch.   Would you say the T1 is better for me?   

Thanks. I guess it's been almost 4 years since I wrote this review. That said, here we are and my T1s are long gone and my HD800s are still here. Guess that has to say something? With a rig that is up to it, the HD800s are the better headphones IMHO.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #962 of 1,024
I just got them and they are amazing!   yeah..a little too bright than what I would call neutral, but I hope that it will softens up with some burn in.  also,My gear is on the cold side from my experience with it, 
so there are places for improvements.

EDIT: I got the HD800.. a little detail I forgot to mention LOL.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #963 of 1,024
  I just got them and they are amazing!   yeah..a little too bright than what I would call neutral, but I hope that it will softens up with some burn in.  also,My gear is on the cold side from my experience with it, 
so there are places for improvements.

You just got the T1 or the HD800? 
blink.gif

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #965 of 1,024
I have been listening to my HD800 for two days now, and my thoughts so far:
The bass quantity is more than sufficient, sometimes I feel like it is a tad too much :)  it is of a high quality,can go really deep but stays super tight..not a hint of flabbiness or mud.
The mids are fabulous!  no need to expand on that..simply neutral.  At first I was really annoyed by their known sibilance issue,but after some time with them and listening to different recordings,I realized that although the HD800 do emphsize the treble a little bit, the sibilance is really the recording's fault.   The point is, that due to the HD800 little treble peak,they make it a little worse than it actually is.  But when I listen to recording without any sibilance in them,the HD800 do not produce any sibilance all by themselves..just the opposite, they extend the highs beautifully.    So one needs to avoid overly sibilanced recording with them, unless you want your ear pierced LOL.

I love them with all music genres I listen to,which is from classical to extreme metal ..electronic.  Take into account that my gear is rather low/mid level.  I use a laptop to a Dragonfly (1.2) which feeds a headroom ultra micro amp (the best part in my rig). I wonder how they will scale with better gear.
For conclusion:  THE BEST headphones I heard to date! exciting just as Grado or Denon..or whatever..even more.    People who say that they are bass shy or dry/boring sounding etc', simply don't like (or not used to) neutral sound,and prefer coloration (not a bad thing,I also come from this place).  Imo, very FUN sounding cans.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #966 of 1,024
  I have been listening to my HD800 for two days now, and my thoughts so far:
The bass quantity is more than sufficient, sometimes I feel like it is a tad too much :)  it is of a high quality,can go really deep but stays super tight..not a hint of flabbiness or mud.
The mids are fabulous!  no need to expand on that..simply neutral.  At first I was really annoyed by their known sibilance issue,but after some time with them and listening to different recordings,I realized that although the HD800 do emphsize the treble a little bit, the sibilance is really the recording's fault.   The point is, that due to the HD800 little treble peak,they make it a little worse than it actually is.  But when I listen to recording without any sibilance in them,the HD800 do not produce any sibilance all by themselves..just the opposite, they extend the highs beautifully.    So one needs to avoid overly sibilanced recording with them, unless you want your ear pierced LOL.

+1

Could of written that myself
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #970 of 1,024
have both dynamic duo & thru a Dynahi headamp, i'd say both share alot more than not. without going into the minutiae (& through my ears), the Senn is more precise in soundstage imaging & goes ever so slightly deeper in the bottom. however it is slightly leaner than neutral.

T1 otoh is just as detailed with just as large a soundstage. lower-mid bass is bigger & meatier. its more neutral than the 
Senn. it also sounds lush (atleast compared with the HD800) & airy but never dark or slow. on the flip side, imaging is more diffused than the Senn. T1 is better for pop, rock & r&b to my ears.

bottomline, the HD800 forces one to be aware of everything its throwing out while the T1 is more fun to listen. pluses & minuses instead of better or worse.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #971 of 1,024
  have both dynamic duo & thru a Dynahi headamp, i'd say both share alot more than not. without going into the minutiae (& through my ears), the Senn is more precise in soundstage imaging & goes ever so slightly deeper in the bottom. however it is slightly leaner than neutral.

T1 otoh is just as detailed with just as large a soundstage. lower-mid bass is bigger & meatier. its more neutral than the 
Senn. it also sounds lush (atleast compared with the HD800) & airy but never dark or slow. on the flip side, imaging is more diffused than the Senn. T1 is better for pop, rock & r&b to my ears.

bottomline, the HD800 forces one to be aware of everything its throwing out while the T1 is more fun to listen. pluses & minuses instead of better or worse.

I also own both and I agree with everything you said. I could not have stated it better. Your comments are spot on.

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #972 of 1,024

Are you saying the HD800 is darker and slower than the T1? Do you think I would be disappointed with the HD800 if most of my music collection is 90s rock, classic rock, singer/songwriter and psychedelic rock? I am getting into classical and jazz as well

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #973 of 1,024
  Are you saying the HD800 is darker and slower than the T1? Do you think I would be disappointed with the HD800 if most of my music collection is 90s rock, classic rock, singer/songwriter and psychedelic rock? I am getting into classical and jazz as well

Most definitely not to my ears!

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #974 of 1,024

i guess it would depend on how one defines darker & slower. to my ears, the HD800 definitely not dark & not slow by any means. neither are slow but if your amp is up to it, the T1 can be ESL like quick & airy although it does not have the e-stat smoothness nor liquidness. that said i can only compare the T1 to a Koss ESP950 & i've heard stax cans are even quicker.

the T1 compared to the HD800 has more weight to the sound & a mid-bass hump (relative to the senn) with sparkling highs so to my ears, the T1 is better for rock & pop. because of the HD800 spacious precise soundstage, the Senn is better for classical & jazz. which is not to say the T1 dont do either well, just not as good as the Senn to my ears.

i find both are very detailed with the Senn going deeper in the bottom end & argueably with better defination as well. the HD800 a more like a precision instrument while the T1 is more fun & just as satisfying in its own way. 

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #975 of 1,024

i guess it would depend on how one defines darker & slower. to my ears, the HD800 definitely not dark & not slow by any means. neither are slow but if your amp is up to it, the T1 can be ESL like quick & airy although it does not have the e-stat smoothness nor liquidness. that said i can only compare the T1 to a Koss ESP950 & i've heard stax cans are even quicker.

the T1 compared to the HD800 has more weight to the sound & a mid-bass hump (relative to the senn) with sparkling highs so to my ears, the T1 is better for rock & pop. because of the HD800 spacious precise soundstage, the Senn is better for classical & jazz. which is not to say the T1 dont do either well, just not as good as the Senn to my ears.

i find both are very detailed with the Senn going deeper in the bottom end & argueably with better defination as well. the HD800 a more like a precision instrument while the T1 is more fun & just as satisfying in its own way. 

I often hear the term "analytical" associated with the HD800 and "fun" with the T1, however why do people describe the T1 as more fun if they are both considered to be neutral(ish)? Is it the impact of the T1s bass that gives it the "fun" reputation? For example, the upfront mids is what associates the Grado with "fun". 

How does the PS1000 compare to the HD800 and T1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back