HD800 and T1 musings...
Feb 9, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #976 of 1,024

I often hear the term "analytical" associated with the HD800 and "fun" with the T1, however why do people describe the T1 as more fun if they are both considered to be neutral(ish)? Is it the impact of the T1s bass that gives it the "fun" reputation? For example, the upfront mids is what associates the Grado with "fun". 

How does the PS1000 compare to the HD800 and T1?

if the HD800 can be said to have a flat(ish) FR the its my opinion that T1 is more a Vshape FR. so yes its the heavier bottom + the airy highs that make it fun to my ears. IMO both are just detailed but neither has the upfronts mids (nor the "wall of sound") of Grados.

have not heard the PS1k so cant comment but i do have the PS500 & its not in the same class as either the Beyer or Senn. that said, the PS500 sounds awesome straight out of my chiDAP (Hidizs). if it wasnt bcos the Grados leak & isolate like the proverbial sieve, it would be my primary goto porty rig.

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #977 of 1,024
How do these headphones (t1, ps1000, hd800) rank in terms of soundstage? Obviously the HD800 has the largest, but how far behind are the PS1000 and T1? 

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #978 of 1,024
Rage u know what, i plugged my PS500 into my main desktop rig lastnight & to be completely honest, they sound great!!! yes soundstage isnt as large or spacious & bass doesnt go as deep or low & micro details arent as spatially delineated but overall, i'd much rather listen to the grados with rock, metal, pop & r&b than either the Senn or the T1.

guitar riffs have that zinginess. drums have that snap & treble has bite without being harsh so much for me, its more than just fun - its as real it gets with 2 micro speaker between your ears! so if the PS1k is an upgrade to the PS500, then it's my interpolated opinion that the PS1k definitely ranks with the Senn & Beyer. 

indeed its my humble opinion that for specific genres (ie.metal, rock & such ilk), the PS1k would dominate. to answer your question, i'd said soundstage is biggest widest with the HD800 & the T1 lags just a tad behind. i'd also say my PS500 is almost just as good as the T1. IOW's the PS500 didnt make me wonder why is the soundstage so large on the others. instead i felt totally immersed into the music to care whether it is or not.

ofcourse the usual YMMV applies 
gs1000.gif

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #979 of 1,024
  Rage u know what, i plugged my PS500 into my main desktop rig lastnight & to be completely honest, they sound great!!! yes soundstage isnt as large or spacious & bass doesnt go as deep or low & micro details arent as spatially delineated but overall, i'd much rather listen to the grados with rock, metal, pop & r&b than either the Senn or the T1.

guitar riffs have that zinginess. drums have that snap & treble has bite without being harsh so much for me, its more than just fun - its as real it gets with 2 micro speaker between your ears! so if the PS1k is an upgrade to the PS500, then it's my interpolated opinion that the PS1k definitely ranks with the Senn & Beyer. 

indeed its my humble opinion that for specific genres (ie.metal, rock & such ilk), the PS1k would dominate. to answer your question, i'd said soundstage is biggest widest with the HD800 & the T1 lags just a tad behind. i'd also say my PS500 is almost just as good as the T1. IOW's the PS500 didnt make me wonder why is the soundstage so large on the others. instead i felt totally immersed into the music to care whether it is or not.

ofcourse the usual YMMV applies 
gs1000.gif

I feel that exact way about Grado soundstage. You feel so immersed at all times that you forget about soundstage. The Grados (especially 500 and RS1) have their own unique intimate soundstage that has more depth than people give them credit for. 

The only reason I am reluctant about the PS1000 is that I may never pick up my RS1i again.. but with the HD800/T1 I could easily use them just for specific tasks and genres

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #980 of 1,024

I feel that exact way about Grado soundstage. You feel so immersed at all times that you forget about soundstage. The Grados (especially 500 and RS1) have their own unique intimate soundstage that has more depth than people give them credit for. 

The only reason I am reluctant about the PS1000 is that I may never pick up my RS1i again.. but with the HD800/T1 I could easily use them just for specific tasks and genres

Enjoying my Grado PS-1 today - and having lot's of headphones, Grado sound is addictive!!!! Still think PS-500 is an underappreciated headphone on Head-fi :wink: Musicwise it beats lot's of headphones. Technically their are better ones.... But it's depending what people do prefer!

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #981 of 1,024

Enjoying my Grado PS-1 today - and having lot's of headphones, Grado sound is addictive!!!! Still think PS-500 is an underappreciated headphone on Head-fi :wink: Musicwise it beats lot's of headphones. Technically their are better ones.... But it's depending what people do prefer!

agreed! the PS500 dont seem to get no respect in these parts but truly, they can sound spectacularly good for what they are. infact the PS500 can be easily used in a portable setup just off a decent DAP sans dedicated amp which is sometime neither the Senn or Beyer can boast!

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #982 of 1,024

agreed! the PS500 dont seem to get no respect in these parts but truly, they can sound spectacularly good for what they are. infact the PS500 can be easily used in a portable setup just off a decent DAP sans dedicated amp which is sometime neither the Senn or Beyer can boast!

Hope someday they will bring a closed version, so you don't need to apologize for leaking sound! Ofcourse there's the Bushmill - but i do want a more sophisticated version...

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #983 of 1,024
The HD800 took my HI-FI experience to a whole new level. everything is just right on the spot for me. I would really like to try the T1 in my rig also to "taste" the differences.    How many of you guys have them both?

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #987 of 1,024
  The HD800 took my HI-FI experience to a whole new level. everything is just right on the spot for me. I would really like to try the T1 in my rig also to "taste" the differences.    How many of you guys have them both?

I did have them both at some point, but have sold the T1. The HD800 basically covers what I am really looking for in SQ, though I would be lying if I say I don't miss the T1..

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #989 of 1,024
  That's exactly what really makes me want to try the T1! 

then u should! IMHO since the HD800 is gathering all the attention, the T1 can be had for a great deal - perhaps as low as 1/2 of what one would pay for a used HD800. Its very competent technically & more fun to listen to than the Senn for some genres.

however, IMHO the Grado PS1k mite be the way to go for metal, rock & other such ilk. even my lowly PS500 hits that raw emotion & has that Je Ne Sais Quoi that makes it real for me, as far as headphones go.

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #990 of 1,024

then u should! IMHO since the HD800 is gathering all the attention, the T1 can be had for a great deal - perhaps as low as 1/2 of what one would pay for a used HD800. Its very competent technically & more fun to listen to than the Senn for some genres.

however, IMHO the Grado PS1k mite be the way to go for metal, rock & other such ilk. even my lowly PS500 hits that raw emotion & has that Je Ne Sais Quoi that makes it real for me, as far as headphones go.

Well, the T1 has awful distortion for a high-end headphone. I don't think it's technically competent at all in comparison to the Sennheiser HD800. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back