HD800 and T1 musings...
Nov 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #766 of 1,024

HD 800 with WA2 and GEC 6AS7G is pretty high up there though 
biggrin.gif

Good point! 
smile.gif

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #767 of 1,024
  I  listen to classical music with my T1's for hours each day. I have both solid state and tube amps. I have auditioned the HD800 at home and stayed with the T1's. The HD800 are great at resolving that last bit of detail but they are very picky about the recording quality. I have a very large collection and I don't want to limit my enjoyment to hand picking only the best match with the HD800's. I found that the T1's sound great with almost everything. When I listen to music I don't want to be analyzing my headphones, I just want to enjoy the music. The T1's let me do that day after day. You do get a larger soundstage with the HD800 but the T1's produce such convincing depth that I think it is a trade off.  

I listen to a lot of chamber music and I find the HD800 soundstage to be unnaturally large for that genre. The T1's get it just right.

I purchased the T1 last week...and I've got a HD800 arriving on Monday.  I'll keep one and sell or return the other.

I have a feeling I'll be keeping the T1 though.   I've heard the HD800 at meets and I was not blown away.  Meets are always noisy, so I purchased the HD800 just to be sure.

For my tastes, any less bass than the T1's would be to little...and any more treble would be too much.  I think the HD800 has more treble and less bass.

If I end up keeping the HD800s I might trade the T1 for a T5p.

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #768 of 1,024
I don't think so. For me the HD800 does not has more treble and less bass than the T1. I heard both and I prefer the HD800.

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #769 of 1,024

I purchased the T1 last week...and I've got a HD800 arriving on Monday.  I'll keep one and sell or return the other.

I have a feeling I'll be keeping the T1 though.   I've heard the HD800 at meets and I was not blown away.  Meets are always noisy, so I purchased the HD800 just to be sure.

For my tastes, any less bass than the T1's would be to little...and any more treble would be too much.  I think the HD800 has more treble and less bass.

If I end up keeping the HD800s I might trade the T1 for a T5p.

Can't go wrong w/ either, imo.  What amp will you use?  I highly recommend one of the Woo's.  I also enjoyed the meier concerto with it if you want a cheap solid state option.

Dec 21, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #770 of 1,024
  Can't go wrong w/ either, imo.  What amp will you use?  I highly recommend one of the Woo's.  I also enjoyed the meier concerto with it if you want a cheap solid state option.

I was planning on getting a WA7 for the T1 sooner rather than later.  If I keep the HD800 and trade the T1 for a T5p it going to be much, much later than I thought.

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #771 of 1,024
I own the HD-800 and have auditioned the T1.  Both are great cans and in the end I feel what you keep will mainly be determined by the type of music you listen to and by sound signature preference.  For classical I prefer the HD-800, don't have issues with its bass but the treble can a times run a bit hot.  But the T1 can also show some hot treble, personally I have the feeling that it's less resolving/detailed than the HD-800 and doesn't -to me- present enough added value as compared to the DT-880 in 600 Ohm which I own.  That being said, the hyper-resolving nature of the HD-800 is not an undivided advantage with older recordings either and I'm pretty sure it's being hyped up a bit and this reflects in the pricing.

If you listen to fast rock/electronic music the T1 might well be what you prefer but you'll soon know.  Just give the HD-800 some time to burn in, it does change the sound signature in a good way.

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #772 of 1,024
  I own the HD-800 and have auditioned the T1.  Both are great cans and in the end I feel what you keep will mainly be determined by the type of music you listen to and by sound signature preference.  For classical I prefer the HD-800, don't have issues with its bass but the treble can a times run a bit hot.  But the T1 can also show some hot treble, personally I have the feeling that it's less resolving/detailed than the HD-800 and doesn't -to me- present enough added value as compared to the DT-880 in 600 Ohm which I own.  That being said, the hyper-resolving nature of the HD-800 is not an undivided advantage with older recordings either and I'm pretty sure it's being hyped up a bit and this reflects in the pricing.

If you listen to fast rock/electronic music the T1 might well be what you prefer but you'll soon know.  Just give the HD-800 some time to burn in, it does change the sound signature in a good way.

i have both. i prefer hd800 for most things. The bass is not a problem for me, i think it depends most of all on the music you listen to. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #773 of 1,024
  i have both. i prefer hd800 for most things. The bass is not a problem for me, i think it depends most of all on the music you listen to. 

I listen to a little bit of everything...that is why I love the T1.   I've read that the HD800 is great with classical and jazz, but I wonder how it will sound with rock or electronic music.  I guess I'll find out soon enough. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #774 of 1,024

I listen to a little bit of everything...that is why I love the T1.   I've read that the HD800 is great with classical and jazz, but I wonder how it will sound with rock or electronic music.  I guess I'll find out soon enough. 

it depends on the album - for example ¬

The Police - Zenyatta Mondata - T1
Pink Floyd  -  Animals - HD800 
Paul Simon  - one trick pony - T1
Simon and garfunkle  - bridge over troubled water - HD800
Rush - Fly by night - HD800
Led Zeppelin - physical graffiti - HD800 
Queen - A night at the opera - HD800
Talking heads - Stop making sense - HD800
King crimson - Larks tongues in aspic - HD800 
Deep purple - Machine head - HD800 
Dire Straits - Dire straits - HD800 
Joy division - closer - T1

The knife  - Deep cuts/silent shout - T1
Radiohead - Kid A - HD800
Thom yorke - Erasure - HD800
Anthoy rother - Simulationszeitalter - T1
Kraftwerk - computer world - T1
Kraftwerk - Trans Europe express - T1

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #775 of 1,024
I just got the HD800, and so far so good.

I feel the HD800 is superior to the T1.  No doubt about it.  The things is, when I switch to the T1 quickly after listening to the HD800  I don't feel that I'm switching to an inferior headphone - they are just different.   Both models are incredible.  The bass is excellent in both.  Neither is sibilant or harsh and both are crystal clear.

Everything I had read is basically true.  If the recording is not perfect, the HD800 is unforgiving.  If the recording is good: Nirvana.    The sound stage is strange - I don't feel it is wider than the T1's, but it is more 3D.  The HD800 is able to take the music from inside your head and move it just outside; it's actually quite weird sometimes.   It is not like listening to speakers, as some have said, but it is not like listening to headphones either.  The bass is tighter.  The highs are more realistic.   Yeah, that's it - the instruments sound more realistic with the HD800.    What else have I read?   Oh yeah, they are extremely comfortable.  The build quality is out of this world.  The cable is excellent.    They look stunning.   Finally, they taste great. 
biggrin.gif

I'm in awe.    Freaking Germans.

I'm trading the T1 for a closed T5p that way I can have the best of both worlds.

BTW, can anyone tell me what the break-in period is for the HD800.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #776 of 1,024
With my pair of HD-800 I noticed changes during the first week of listening (about 4 hours/day), beyond that they didn't change anymore or the changes were too subtle to notice.  I compared by listening to one classical piece which I knew well on days 1, 4 and 7 and then again on 11, 14 and 20 but as I said, no changes that I could detect for those last 3.  They became a bit softer (in a good way) in the treble over this period and bass became a bit more pronounced to my ears.

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #777 of 1,024
With my pair of HD-800 I noticed changes during the first week of listening (about 4 hours/day), beyond that they didn't change anymore or the changes were too subtle to notice.  I compared by listening to one classical piece which I knew well on days 1, 4 and 7 and then again on 11, 14 and 20 but as I said, no changes that I could detect for those last 3.  They became a bit softer (in a good way) in the treble over this period and bass became a bit more pronounced to my ears.

Okay....good to know. Thanks.

Dec 25, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #778 of 1,024

I'm in awe.    Freaking Germans.

beyersmile.png

I think that's a great idea to trade the T1s for the T5p. When I auditioned the HD800s, I felt like I would be purchasing a headphone that was as good or better, but more similar than different. Pairing the T5p with the HD800 is very smart and gives you a lot of flexibility. If I would have gone with the 800s, I could have seen myself doing that very same thing. 

Enjoy those beautiful Senns!

Dec 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #779 of 1,024
Sorry if you've answered this. Have you compared Gilmore lite with schiit lyr for hd800? Originally I bought lyr for my hifiman he-500, feel the highs are little untamed on hd800.
have a good holiday and thanks!

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #780 of 1,024
A friend with a T1 sent me the following deal on EBay, sold by Sonic Sense:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/181280262562?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Is the price for real? Seems like a solid seller. Any gossip about a new Beyer TOL model coming soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back