HD800 and T1 musings...
Dec 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #781 of 1,024
A friend with a T1 sent me the following deal on EBay, sold by Sonic Sense:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/181280262562?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Is the price for real? Seems like a solid seller. Any gossip about a new Beyer TOL model coming soon?

SonicSense is for real (purchased from them in the past), they do have bargain prices on some phones. You can visit their web site (hint, register to see "really good prices"), they also sell through amazon.

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #782 of 1,024
I got my T1's from Sonic Sense about 7 or 8 months ago for around $900 "open box".
Sonic extends the Beyerdynamic 2 year guarantee to 3 years.  The people there were knowledgeable
and great to work with.  The T1's came in original box and appeared in all ways "new". 
And most importantly, the T1's have performed perfectly.

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #784 of 1,024
If you walked into a concert, where would you want to be seated? Would you want to be seated in the back? Because with a pair of hd800s that is exactly where it feels like you are seated..it's great for classical, and that's about it. With the t1 you feel as though you're in the fifth row..you still get all the separation and depth, but don't feel as if you're too far away..with the t1 when you hear the crash of a cymbal it sounds like the real thing. with the 800 the highs are rolled off...unnatural to me. the t1 sounds more realistic to me..it can be warm and give you could highs at the same time

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #785 of 1,024
@rommy: my experiences (and most of the other which compares both) were the other way around. The HD800 sound is much more neutral and realistic than from the T1.

At the moment I'm comparing my HD800 with my new LCD-X and the HD800 is so much more realistic. The LCD-X is nice for sure but for me still to dark and sounded.

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #786 of 1,024
If you walked into a concert, where would you want to be seated? Would you want to be seated in the back? Because with a pair of hd800s that is exactly where it feels like you are seated..it's great for classical, and that's about it. With the t1 you feel as though you're in the fifth row..you still get all the separation and depth, but don't feel as if you're too far away..with the t1 when you hear the crash of a cymbal it sounds like the real thing. with the 800 the highs are rolled off...unnatural to me. the t1 sounds more realistic to me..it can be warm and give you could highs at the same time

My thoughts exactly.  My T1's/Schiit Lyr/Schiit Uber Bifrost/1960 Philips Miniwatt E88CC "SQ" tubes...closest thing to having a private seat inside the recording studio.

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #787 of 1,024

Ah come on man, sitting at the back row? Nonsense, seated at the back my ass. I think they are close enough in most things apart from sound stage. They are both great headphones. I happen to prefer the HD800 

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #788 of 1,024
To me the 800 seemed a bit vieled, I use to put them on for live jazz. They had a nice warm sound and the big sound stage was nice at times, but to constantly feel as if I were too far back from the music, and the veil fatigued me..at least that is how I felt with the pair that I had.I know some HD 800s seem bright to some people. I wish I had a pair like that myself.my first set of cans was a grado 325is and I guess I just got used to a brighter sound. to me the sennhisers do not sound like live music. I don't see warm in every aspect as being neutral. the 800's just didn't have any air

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #789 of 1,024
HD800 veiled ? I cannot disagree more. I never listen to such a clear and airy headphone before.

Really strange.

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #790 of 1,024
To me the 800 seemed a bit vieled, I use to put them on for live jazz. They had a nice warm sound and the big sound stage was nice at times, but to constantly feel as if I were too far back from the music, and the veil fatigued me..at least that is how I felt with the pair that I had.I know some HD 800s seem bright to some people. I wish I had a pair like that myself.my first set of cans was a grado 325is and I guess I just got used to a brighter sound. to me the sennhisers do not sound like live music. I don't see warm in every aspect as being neutral. the 800's just didn't have any air

they are a bit smoother than the T1 but i dont think warmer, the T1 is a more aggressive. I never once thought that they were veiled. If you think the HD800's are veiled then good luck finding anything that isn't. Maybe I hear what i hear because of my setup who knows. What amp did you use for powering it? They obviously just aren't for you. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #791 of 1,024
if you read battle of the flagships 58 headphones. In the review of the 800 it states that they lack euphoria. I agree with that. while they may be a little more resolving then the t1, there is nothing magical about them.I just don't feel like I'm" there" like I do with a t1

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #792 of 1,024
if you read battle of the flagships 58 headphones. In the review of the 800 it states that they lack euphoria. I agree with that. while they may be a little more resolving then the t1, there is nothing magical about them.I just don't feel like I'm" there" like I do with a t1

Cool, you prefer the T1 - fair enough. I should prefer it on my WA2 considering how good a match it is with them but i don't, for me its HD800 buy a good enough margin. What amp were you using? 

I have read battle of the flagships, lets not forget that the T1 is placed 14th and the HD800 is 6th. Also he says that the T1 lacks transparency and impact if you wanna go down that road. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #793 of 1,024
Okay but this is only another review. I made my own experiences and they are a little bit different. For sure the T1 is nice but for me not in the same league.
For me it is so exciting to listen to the HD800 and finding more and more details in the music which I never heard before.

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #794 of 1,024
I know what the rankings were in that review, but I never felt I had a sixth-place set of headphones. I believe he likes a warm sound also. .just look for he rated all the grados..BTW. The the t1 sounds best with a bottle head crack with the speedball

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #795 of 1,024
I know what the rankings were in that review, but I never felt I had a sixth-place set of headphones. I believe he likes a warm sound also. .just look for he rated all the grados..BTW. The the t1 sounds best with a bottle head crack with the speedball

Have you tried WA2 with 5998 and orange globes?

I have not heard the Bottlehead and speedball but i want to build one next year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back