HD800 and T1 musings...
Aug 26, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #737 of 1,024
Quote:

Difference between well made cables is a myth and shouldn't be perpetuated.  If there is data to support this often heard claim we'd all like to see it.

Sorry.

Everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion. To my ears they made a difference and is all what matter to me. If they don't make a difference for you, that is ok too.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #738 of 1,024
Quote:
This thread is in danger of being derailed- let's get it back on track with something a little less controversial. In what way do the headfiers think the T1's complement the HD800? I think they are a different bass signature and they have a more closed in soundstage which makes the stereo effects stand out a little more to my ears. They are comfortable and a little more sensitive and leak less noise.

I don't really find them complimentary. I find the LCD-2 and HD800 or T1 far more complimentary.

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #740 of 1,024
Yep-they are too similar in sound to be complimentary too each other imo. That's assuming, uh, you get a 'good' T1. *still bitter*

-Daniel

Nope , I'm sorry Daniel. I have to disagree. I don't find them similar in sound signature. In my opinion the T1's a far better can than the LCD2.2 too. Lots of 2's there......

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #742 of 1,024
I was talking about the T1's in relation to the HD800s, not the LCD 2.2s...
confused_face.gif

-Daniel

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #743 of 1,024
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm really split between the hd800 and the t1. As of now I'm leaning towards the hd800 because it seems to be popular among more people than the t1. I will be powering whichever one I get with the SPL phonitor. I have owned the hd650 and Beyer dt880 and although I felt the hd650 was an excellent headphone and provided more resolution I prefer the dt880(but only by a hair. I thought it was more comfortable and had a deeper soundstage). What it boils down to is 2 main questions. 1. Does the t1 have a similar sound signature that is seen in the Dt line. And 2. Although more talk about how great the hd800, is the t1 on the same level as the hd800 and does the t1 offer as much resolution as the hd800. Thanks!

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #744 of 1,024
I own the HD-800 and the DT-880 in 600 Ohm, also auditioned the T1.  To my ears and keeping in mind my musical preference (classical), the HD-800 sounded better and they're definitely more resolving than the T1.  The T1 are great cans but compared to the DT-880's I found the extra cost not worth it and they're  too bright in the treble for my tastes.  Sound signature is the same, only a bit better on all fronts.  One major caveat:  the HD-800 is the only pair of Senns I own so I can't compare with e.g. the 650's.

What's certainly true with the HD-800 is that it's a bit picky as far as amps go.  I drive it with a Violectric V200 and it sounds really nice but when auditioning I tried it with a Burson conductor and found that combo to be harsh and cold.  Never tried the Phonitor but from what i hear it's a fine amp and pretty neutral so it should work.

Also, keep in mind that the HD800 is REALLY extremely detailed/resolving.  If you listen to less than pristine recordings that's sometimes too much of a good thing as you'll start noticing all kinds of artefacts that were there but not audibly so with less detailed cans.  Sometimes that's distracting.  If you listen to classical music, btw, there's one pair of cans (below the 5000 USD mark, that is) that imho outshine the HD800  and those are the Hifiman HE-6 but ONLY if you have REALLY powerful amplification on hand.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #745 of 1,024
I found the HD800 to be excellent when I auditioned it a couple months ago, but I also found the T1s to be significantly better than the DT880. I purchased the 880s initially and wasn't crazy about them. I was somewhat apprehensive to go with the T1s based on that, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger and was very impressed. They've been one of my two favorite headphones for nearly two years now. 

I found the T1s and HD800s to be more similar than different. Unfortunately I don't recall what amp it was that was being used with the HD800s, but it was a higher end Japanese product. I have a very small group of folks here on head-fi whose opinions I value and trust, and each of them have told me that the 800s scale to a larger degree than the T1s do. The amp I heard them on was somewhere around $3k, but I wish I had written down the make and model. I know I wasn't familiar with it....it was shaped very similarly to the Bryston headamp...very wide and flat. 

Anyway, I think you'll be in good shape with either, but since you have such a nice amp I'd prob go with the HD800s...assuming you can't audition them before purchase. 

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #748 of 1,024
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm really split between the hd800 and the t1. As of now I'm leaning towards the hd800 because it seems to be popular among more people than the t1. I will be powering whichever one I get with the SPL phonitor. I have owned the hd650 and Beyer dt880 and although I felt the hd650 was an excellent headphone and provided more resolution I prefer the dt880(but only by a hair. I thought it was more comfortable and had a deeper soundstage). What it boils down to is 2 main questions. 1. Does the t1 have a similar sound signature that is seen in the Dt line. And 2. Although more talk about how great the hd800, is the t1 on the same level as the hd800 and does the t1 offer as much resolution as the hd800. Thanks!

From my perspective it is all about the music if you listen to rock T1 

acoustic and jazz HD800

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #750 of 1,024
  From my perspective it is all about the music if you listen to rock T1 

acoustic and jazz HD800

If you cannot audition both cans with your phonitor then there's a lot to be said for the advice above I think.  Makes sense to me even though I only briefly auditioned the T1.  Of course actually listening to both and deciding for yourself is always preferable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back