HD800 and T1 musings...
Jun 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #706 of 1,024
Quote:
I FINALLY got to hear a pair of HD800s, and they definitely live up to the hype. I only got to spend about a half hour with them, but as good as they sounded, I didn't hear anything that would make me want to ditch my T1s in favor of them. If I didn't already own the T1s and I was choosing between them, I'd probably feel that it would be hard to go wrong with either phone, IMO. If I had done this demo two weeks ago, I may have given the nod to the Senns, but now that my T1s are really humming along with some new Meier toys to play with, it's more of a dead heat. Two fantastic headphones for sure.

+1

i cant decide which 1 i like more.  T1 is very musical and works with many genres, the hd 800  also, and hd 800 is more linear and i feel the hd 800 is slightly better overall, but i still listen to my T1's more. they just sound so right (to me at least). 

ive also been giving the LCD-2 a bit more attention (maybe i need to check out LCD-3? 
size]
)

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #707 of 1,024

+1

i cant decide which 1 i like more.  T1 is very musical and works with many genres, the hd 800  also, and hd 800 is more linear and i feel the hd 800 is slightly better overall, but i still listen to my T1's more. they just sound so right (to me at least). 

ive also been giving the LCD-2 a bit more attention (maybe i need to check out LCD-3? 
size]
)

Would love to hear your take on the LCD-3s if you ever give them a go. I know at some point down the line I'll be wanting to audition an Audeze phone, but seems like there are differing opinions on how much better they are than the LCD-2s, to the degree that I can't really get a feel for it.

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #708 of 1,024
I agree that unless you have a higher level set up, the T1 is "sweeter" and is easier to please. For the HD800, once you upgrade and drive it well, it improves exponentially compared to the T1. I still have both just because they are both different and oh so good. Do also try the HD800 with different cables - you will find that the HD800 will sound different - in that sense, any changes you make to your setup will show up in your listening experience. My T1 is also modded to mini-XLR connections - so that any cable that can be used with the LCDs work with it as well. Levels the playing field. :)

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #709 of 1,024
Quote:
I FINALLY got to hear a pair of HD800s, and they definitely live up to the hype. I only got to spend about a half hour with them, but as good as they sounded, I didn't hear anything that would make me want to ditch my T1s in favor of them. If I didn't already own the T1s and I was choosing between them, I'd probably feel that it would be hard to go wrong with either phone, IMO. If I had done this demo two weeks ago, I may have given the nod to the Senns, but now that my T1s are really humming along with some new Meier toys to play with, it's more of a dead heat. Two fantastic headphones for sure.

So how about the HD800 vs. the GS1000i?  

For me the HD800 gets the nod.  But it's up in the air against the LCD-3.  I get really good bass out my T1s.  I get more detail out the T1s as well compared to the LCD-3.  

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #710 of 1,024

So how about the HD800 vs. the GS1000i?  

For me the HD800 gets the nod.  But it's up in the air against the LCD-3.  I get really good bass out my T1s.  I get more detail out the T1s as well compared to the LCD-3.  

vs the Grados, the Senns definitely had more of a bottom end...and even the sound stage was a bit wider. I'd also give the Senns the nod with comfort. For some reason I don't like the bagel pads as much as others do. My favorite are the bowls. The Senns also seemed a bit more laid back to me, but in a good way. The presenation didn't sound like a Grado, though, so definitely more different than alike. I've heard a lot of people call the HD800s sterile...I'd have to spend more time with them to address that, but I didn't feel that way about them. At the same time, I didn't find myself going, "wow, now THIS is a great headphone!" I felt they met expectations, and my expectations were that this was one of the best headphones on earth. I don't feel like I need to run out and get a pair, but definitely understand the praise they get. I have almost an emotional connection with both my T1s and Grado PS500s (which I like better than the GS1ks), so it would take a headphone that REALLY captivated me to switch. It was also kinda weird that they didn't really SEEM like a headphone to me lol. I guess it's the materials they're made out of, but it was so different than anything else I've had in my hands or on my head.

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #711 of 1,024
Quote:

vs the Grados, the Senns definitely had more of a bottom end...and even the sound stage was a bit wider. I'd also give the Senns the nod with comfort. For some reason I don't like the bagel pads as much as others do. My favorite are the bowls. The Senns also seemed a bit more laid back to me, but in a good way. The presenation didn't sound like a Grado, though, so definitely more different than alike. I've heard a lot of people call the HD800s sterile...I'd have to spend more time with them to address that, but I didn't feel that way about them. At the same time, I didn't find myself going, "wow, now THIS is a great headphone!" I felt they met expectations, and my expectations were that this was one of the best headphones on earth. I don't feel like I need to run out and get a pair, but definitely understand the praise they get. I have almost an emotional connection with both my T1s and Grado PS500s (which I like better than the GS1ks), so it would take a headphone that REALLY captivated me to switch. It was also kinda weird that they didn't really SEEM like a headphone to me lol. I guess it's the materials they're made out of, but it was so different than anything else I've had in my hands or on my head.

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #712 of 1,024
gonna try and make it to the Chicago meet tomorrow, hopefully i can find an LCD-3 there

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #713 of 1,024
Apologies for the following question because I know it's highly subjective but nevertheless I'd appreciate some feedback, preferably by people who own/have owned both the BD T1 and the HD800.

Current setup:  Macbook pro with Amarra running, FLAC lossless files-->USB out-->FiiO E17/E09 dac/amp-->BD DT880 600 Ohm.  Because I live in 2 locations 7000 km apart in my other place I use an Epiphany acoustics EHP-O2D DAC/AMP combo.  The headphones I lug along every few months.  Have to say I like both DAC/AMP combos and both drive my 600 Ohm cans very well but the edge definitely goes to the EHP-O2D.

Music I listen to:  exclusively classical music, mainly orchestral works, chamber music, violin and piano.  Very little vocal works.  I've owned the DT880's now for 9 months and like them a lot (beginning was horrible and I experienced multiple instances of what I now know is sibilance but all of that went away).  I'm very happy with the way they sound but have no reference points and am now looking to upgrade and purchase a second pair of cans and later possibly a new DAC/Amp combo.

For the cans I've narrowed it down to either the BD T1 or the Senn HD800.  I like a big soundstage, accurate reproduction of instruments and good separation.  If there's one point I'd like to see improved with the DT880 then it's separation, not that they sound muddy in any way but I'd like things to be a bit clearer).  The obvious solution would be to try them both but given my location that's just not an option I'm afraid.  Does anyone have a strong preference for one brand over the other or is it very much a matter of small differences at that level?  

For the DAC/AMP:  I'm actually pretty happy with my low cost setups, especially with the EHP-O2D which I purchased for about 140 EUR and which really was a flaming steal at that price.  In the (intermediate) fuure i'd consider upgrading to either the SPL Phonitor or the Violectric V200.  Do these play nice with both headphones in question or would you recommend another combo (but no tubes please, totally not interested in those).

Many thanks, look forward to reading your ideas about this!

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #714 of 1,024
Quote:
Apologies for the following question because I know it's highly subjective but nevertheless I'd appreciate some feedback, preferably by people who own/have owned both the BD T1 and the HD800.

Current setup:  Macbook pro with Amarra running, FLAC lossless files-->USB out-->FiiO E17/E09 dac/amp-->BD DT880 600 Ohm.  Because I live in 2 locations 7000 km apart in my other place I use an Epiphany acoustics EHP-O2D DAC/AMP combo.  The headphones I lug along every few months.  Have to say I like both DAC/AMP combos and both drive my 600 Ohm cans very well but the edge definitely goes to the EHP-O2D.

Music I listen to:  exclusively classical music, mainly orchestral works, chamber music, violin and piano.  Very little vocal works.  I've owned the DT880's now for 9 months and like them a lot (beginning was horrible and I experienced multiple instances of what I now know is sibilance but all of that went away).  I'm very happy with the way they sound but have no reference points and am now looking to upgrade and purchase a second pair of cans and later possibly a new DAC/Amp combo.

For the cans I've narrowed it down to either the BD T1 or the Senn HD800.  I like a big soundstage, accurate reproduction of instruments and good separation.  If there's one point I'd like to see improved with the DT880 then it's separation, not that they sound muddy in any way but I'd like things to be a bit clearer).  The obvious solution would be to try them both but given my location that's just not an option I'm afraid.  Does anyone have a strong preference for one brand over the other or is it very much a matter of small differences at that level?  

For the DAC/AMP:  I'm actually pretty happy with my low cost setups, especially with the EHP-O2D which I purchased for about 140 EUR and which really was a flaming steal at that price.  In the (intermediate) fuure i'd consider upgrading to either the SPL Phonitor or the Violectric V200.  Do these play nice with both headphones in question or would you recommend another combo (but no tubes please, totally not interested in those).

Many thanks, look forward to reading your ideas about this!

I wouldn't bother with either one with lower end gear. But I would strongly recommend the V200/HD800s. 
size]

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #715 of 1,024
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.  I'll take a close look at the HD800/Violectric 200 combo.

On a side note, has anyone ever bothered to set up a (double) blind study where the perceived performances of variously priced (and supposedly specced) amps of the same category (SS let's say) has been evaluated?  I'm asking because the designer of the O2 -who at least from a theoretical point of view seems to know what he's doing- claims it's highly unlikely that a difference with vastly more expensive equipment can be detected in a statistically significant way.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #716 of 1,024
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.  I'll take a close look at the HD800/Violectric 200 combo.

On a side note, has anyone ever bothered to set up a (double) blind study where the perceived performances of variously priced (and supposedly specced) amps of the same category (SS let's say) has been evaluated?  I'm asking because the designer of the O2 -who at least from a theoretical point of view seems to know what he's doing- claims it's highly unlikely that a difference with vastly more expensive equipment can be detected in a statistically significant way.

Theres a can of worms for ya! haha

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #717 of 1,024
Quote:

I wouldn't bother with either one with lower end gear. But I would strongly recommend the V200/HD800s. 
size]

I totally agree with Peter. I own the T1, HD800 and V200. For the kind of music you listen to and the soundstage you are looking for IMO I would go with the HD800/V200 combo.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #718 of 1,024
Quote:

In a blind listening test we all will get embarrassed 

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #720 of 1,024
OK gentlemen, many thanks and -setting my enquiry about double blind testing aside- I read a lot of your postings and respect your opinions so I guess the HD800 and Violectric V200 it will be.

It's a jump in the dark for me but then so was my purchase of the DT880 in 600 ohm (after a lot of reading on the forums here) and that worked out very well I think -keeping in mind the cost.  If the HD800 is as comfortable to wear as my DT880's (I sit behind my desk listening to music and working for about 10 hours/day, the luxury of a separate office where no one can grumble about open cans) then I'll be very happy indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back