HD650's with rock: I have to turn them up WAY too much to enjoy!!
Jun 19, 2011 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bassophile

100+ Head-Fier
Seriously, this headphone cannot be good for your hearing health!!

I've tried low level listening with rock music with my HD650 but the bass was way too recessed lacked impact and everything seemed much too laid back to enjoy.

When I turned them up, I DID hear that rich bass that everyone goes on about - but I guess if you turn up any headphone enough they start to sound bassy.

With something like the Audio Technica M50 or Futuresonics Atrio the bass is there and has impact even during low level listening.

Does anyone else find similar observations?

And, is it in fact true that if you turn up any headphone enough (even something like K702) it will start to sound bassy?

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 17
Have you tried to adjust your EQ.

I know my EQ models a Grado's sound signature and with every headphone they take on a new flavor of that sound, but it seems that you either got a pair of headphones that don't fit your tastes or using the wrong pair for what you want.

I use:
MDR-V6 - for pop/rap/gaming
T50RP - Anything, mostly rock/classical/browsing
SR80i - Anything, mostly on the go, rock/jazz

Adjust your EQ and find a good medium that you can play anything on and enjoy

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 17
I hope that I don't come across as a jerk but, I really feel like you need to purchase a different set of headphones. I don't believe I've read one compliment that you've had for the hd-650's. Why keep them? You keep asking what other people are hearing but what does it matter? If they hear a bassy sound sig and you don't does it make it sound any different to your ears to know what they hear? You're just going to frustrate yourself trying to hear what others hear. Maybe the sennheiser house sound is just not for you.

I personally think you just need to listen around and find a can for the music you listen to and most importantly your ears. The hd-650's are not known for the ability to recreate the rock genre very well. Why not look into something like a Grado or the Beyerdynamic dt-990?

Lastly what kind of amp are you using? Also what's your source? If your using a computer what bit rate is your music at?

Hopefully we can help point you in the right direction but it all comes down to your ears.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 17
I normally don't skip to say its the amp, but in this case it really sounds like you need a more powerful amp.  The bass on my HD650's are plenty defined and perfectly balanced through an Opus DAC --> Bijou tube amp.

What's your setup?

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
The thing is, perfectly balanced might not be what he's looking for.

Then he should have done more research before he bought them, because that's what you're paying for essentially.  If the OP wants overwhelming bass, maybe some Sony MDR-XD500's are in order.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 17
Research is not so easy to come by on a place such as head-fi, especially when in the real realm of audio, any 'audiophile' impressions are so thin-lined between objectivism and subjectivism, it's all too easy for opinions and reviews to come off as esoteric and extremely exaggerated.  It's such a delicate realm that half of what people say could come off as borderline placebo.  One such example would be saying the DT990 600ohm had 'tons' of bass impact, or as a more broad example, writing comparing dacs making them look like night and day differences to each other.  Through my stay here I've heard lots of reviews and opinions of the HD650 being that they're very rich in well-defined and prominent bass.  That of course, is an example of something bordering between objectivism and subjectivism, and is damn-hard to use as a means of research unless you hear them for yourself.  It could very well be that op's not using a proper amp, but it also very well could be that he's just not using the right headphones for the case.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
 It could very well be that op's not using a proper amp, but it also very well could be that he's just not using the right headphones for the case.

I agree with what you've said, and I also address both of these possible causes as well.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 17
There's also the chance the OP does not have an amp at all, which seems to be the most likely cause here considering he has to turn the volume way up, and the HD 650's are not known to be easy to drive.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
There's also the chance the OP does not have an amp at all, which seems to be the most likely cause here considering he has to turn the volume way up, and the HD 650's are not known to be easy to drive.

This is true... I guess we just assumed someone who spend $500 on headphones will have at least a semi-decent amp to drive them, especially at 300-ohms.  But the 108dB sensitivity isn't bad either.  They're about as hard to drive as 250ohm DT990's, at least that's what I've found in my personal experience.

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 17
It has to be without an amp, or maybe a less good one?
I can honestly only go up to 1.5/10 on my tube amp or I'd be deaf within 30 minutes. Bass is great even at that level, as long as your amp delivers what it needs
Imo of course

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #15 of 17
Sounds like the HD 650 is the polar opposite of what you prefer, you want a forward XB500-like with brighter highs headphone, perhaps M-Audio Q40? Try that if you can. In cases like this going to the opposite side is the next best move you can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back