HD650's (vs DT770's) for Trance/Electronic Music?
Jun 9, 2005 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

DAYTA

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

This is my first post, so I'm sure you'll realize that have little idea about what I'm talking about. That said, I wanted to ask all the HD650 owners out there (since there are soooo few of you out there
rolleyes.gif
) whether you thought they were good cans for trance/electronic music, specifically when compared to the DT770/80's.

When I first began researching the topic, I read about the Beyer DT770's being a basshead's utopia. As such, I gained an interest in them since I consider myself somewhat of a basshead (hence my choice of the e5's for my portable uses
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
.) However, as a DJ, I realize that there can be such thing as TOO much bass, particularly with stationary listening applications. Reading more opinions, I began to wonder whether the supposedly recessed mids would become even more apparent with the overpowering lows of the DT770's.

Enter the HD650's. I have read on many posts that people seem to think they have a darker/warmer signature, which definitely sounds appealing to me. On the other hand, others also say that they are boring due to being overly flat across the spectrum.

I can only relate my preferences to my IEM experience with the e5's, so my question (in a style as verbose as possible) is which can comes closest to the e5 in tonal balance/signature, and which one improves upon clarity, separation, and perhaps the high-end rolloff.

All advice / experience is welcome. Thanks.

Jun 9, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 16
Um, in my opinion the HD650s will never be boring. I suppose if I were accustomed to very forward or boomy phones the 650s would seem too recessed. The 650s are very good for trance with vocals or with very deep bass. If you like hard house stuff you might go with the SA5K because it has somewhat faster response time. The main problem I've had with the SA5K with trance is fatigue after about two hours because the highs can be piercing unless you turn down the volume to levels that are blah. The 650s don't have that effect on me. The other thing is if you choose to use an equalizer you can boost the 3K range of the frequency and essentially this mod brings everything forward, and you also get the full bass response of the HD650s. Best thing to do is probably to try them out in a shop, unless you like hoarding headphones, like me.
eggosmile.gif
Trip Like I Do and Oakenfold sound great on the HD650 with the 3K range boosted 8 dBs.

Jun 9, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 16
I'll vouch for Oakenfold (listening to Crystal Jelly right now.) The Crystal Method, Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, Omar Santana, it's all excellent. Although I don't use the HD650s, but the HD600s. The 650s probably sound even better.

My friend has DT770s Pros, and electronic music sounds so-so. The bass overwhelmes everything else. There's no midrange, and the highs are sibilant.

Jun 10, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 16
1) How much would an amp help (SM3 and SR-71 are the two I'm leaning towards right now, although the Gilmore Lite sounds interesting as well...) in terms of extending the mids of the DT770's? From what I've heard, all Beyers are power-hungry beasts that need to be amped in order to realize their maximum potential.

2) Same question for the HD650's, but substitute "lows" for "mids".

Jun 10, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 16
For HD650 money, I'd check a used pair of SA5000. I JUST (about 10 minutes ago) got mine, and they are bangin. Listened to nothing by electronic.

I also have the HD600. After a few more days of listening, I'll post a short head to head of the two if anyone's interested.

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #6 of 16
The HD650 bass is just as impressive as the Beyer's; tighter, deeper even. But, the Senn's offer a projected natural soundstage that I did not enjoy with Electronic music. Another problem is the rolled off treble that eventually adds a haze during extended listening.

The DT770's are sharper in the upper regions with better spatial effects. Bass impact is equal, although less defined that can cross into bloated territory.

I owned both at the time, and stuck with the Beyers. The super duper basshead rep of the 770 is overblown and the mids are recessed, but nothing that bugged me with Electronic music.

On the SA5k, IME this is the best electronic headphone that has graced my head.

Jun 10, 2005 at 10:16 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAYTA
Hey guys,

This is my first post, so I'm sure you'll realize that have little idea about what I'm talking about. That said, I wanted to ask all the HD650 owners out there (since there are soooo few of you out there
rolleyes.gif
) whether you thought they were good cans for trance/electronic music, specifically when compared to the DT770/80's..

Hi and welcome to head-fi ! sorry for your wallet

about hd650 for electronica... I'd say if you are going to give them a very controlled and matched setup , they'll act loads better then dt770 . But if you don't plan to use them with a very good chain , then my opinion is stick with dt770 , they are better if sourced from an average chain of components

hd650 want a very refined and controlled signal to reach the sound they've been engennered for ; hd650 sound good for electronica and trance with a nice system , but they do not sound excellent if the system is not on par.

dt770 are more forgiving for sure and , especially for electronica, they will probably sort out a better overall experience and will entertain you better out of a common system , this due to their bass eq and the groove they're capable of even from modest sources.

Jun 10, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
The HD650 bass is just as impressive as the Beyer's; tighter, deeper even. But, the Senn's offer a projected natural soundstage that I did not enjoy with Electronic music. Another problem is the rolled off treble that eventually adds a haze during extended listening.

The DT770's are sharper in the upper regions with better spatial effects. Bass impact is equal, although less defined that can cross into bloated territory.

I owned both at the time, and stuck with the Beyers. The super duper basshead rep of the 770 is overblown and the mids are recessed, but nothing that bugged me with Electronic music.

this quite express also my thoughts about them pairing with electronica

Jun 10, 2005 at 10:21 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Another problem is the rolled off treble that eventually adds a haze during extended listening.

Small correction ... no treble roll off to speak of with the 650. The treble character is more 'polite', and that's all. It has bags of extension.

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks guys for all the input.

Anyone have an opinion on the Darth Beyers (woodied/recabled)? Does this mod actually make them more comparable to the HD650s (fleshes out the mids / tames the sibilant highs / controls the lows to make it more even across the spectrum)?

Also, looking at the Headphile site, I was curious if their price included the cost of the DT770's, or would you have to send in a stock version to them for upgrading (meaning the price is based solely on the modding)?

Jun 10, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Small correction ... no treble roll off to speak of with the 650. The treble character is more 'polite', and that's all. It has bags of extension.

No roll-off, true. But it is recessed. Electronica needs a forward, extended treble as well as solid, resolved bass to really shine. The HD650 adds lushness and richness, but it washes out the impact and detail. The SA5000 would be much better suited. The major exception is vocal-rich electronic music (and wind instruments), like the second Shpongle disk - that sounds downright killer on the Senns. Totally amazing synergy.

I remember Bangraman saying that the Qualia is the best electronica phone ever. I am really anxious to listen to a pair now. My own SR-404's sound truly amazing with chillout and other ambient electronic music.

Jun 11, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 16
I love my DT770s, and I mostly listen to Electronica. I've never felt the bass really interefers with the rest of the spectrum, but I'm a basshead to the fullest extent, so take my statements with a grain of salt. Plus, the DT770s will save you a whole lot of money, just on the headphones and because of the fact that you need really good equipment to be able to make the most out of the HD-650s. You still need a decent amp with the Beyer's, but one that costs $200 or less should suit you fine (I have a custom headsave amp). Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAYTA
1) How much would an amp help (SM3 and SR-71 are the two I'm leaning towards right now, although the Gilmore Lite sounds interesting as well...) in terms of extending the mids of the DT770's? From what I've heard, all Beyers are power-hungry beasts that need to be amped in order to realize their maximum potential.

2) Same question for the HD650's, but substitute "lows" for "mids".

SR-71 is a great pairing for the HD650. You won't want to take them off your head.

DT-770 does really well with both the Portaphile V2 and the CIA VHP-1. The VHP-1 gives it surprisingly rich texture and dynamics. The SR-71 gives the 770s a beautiful sound, but doesn't overcome their potential for hollow/thin/recessed mids, and SR-71's great extension can unleash the 770's highs which on harsh recordings can enter the migraine range (though they don't affect me as much as the SA5000 with poor recordings).

The P-V2 is a real surprise with the 770s. The Portaphile V2 definitely gives the 770s tight and punchy bass which -- despite PV2 having slightly less top and bottom extension than SR-71 -- seems deeper with the added impact and energy. The top is smoother (a tad less extended upward) ... and most significantly, with its more forward presentation the mids lose much of the hollow/thin quality, coming through with fuller body and closer, more intimate presentation. So, bountiful power-bass, smooth top end, and fuller/closer (less hollow/recessed) mids.

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 16
Hi there,
well it depends on your electronica subgenre i guess. When it comes to energetic, uplifting basslines, i find the dt770 on my head.

when it comes to euphoric,melodic, progressive/lounge/chillout, the hd580 sits comfortably on my head. I suppose the hd650 will do better for these subgenres, but I can't confirm this as I haven't spent enough substantial time listening to one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back