HD650s for The Beatles Remasters
Aug 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cjpearson

Head-Fier
This is my first 'real post' on here, so I will try to get to the point.

I auditioned the 650 for about three hours in a store the other day when I walked in, intending to hustle a pair of 800s out at a reasonable price (liquidation sale.) After much deliberation, and seeing as i'm only getting started, I decided the extra money simply wasn't justified at this space in time.

I purchased the phones with a new Little Dot MK III w/stock tubes (soon to change,) I must say, the Beatles mono album sounds incredible! The cans I bought were second-hand, but owned by a serious audiophile - they are well burned in. For you 650 owners, what do you enjoy listening to on these headphones?

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 10
I remember when I had the HD650s, the one thing that I really loved listening to on them was Leonard Cohen - highly recommend giving it a shot. The warm and smooth signature of the 650s make him sound like Zeus booming down into your head.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
I remember when I had the HD650s, the one thing that I really loved listening to on them was Leonard Cohen - highly recommend giving it a shot. The warm and smooth signature of the 650s make him sound like Zeus booming down into your head.

Outstanding recording leonard Cohen Live in London and that is the way it was when I seen him him in Philly. He was terrific.

Aug 16, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 10
You can give them just about anything imho. Currently I'm listening to 'Anesthetize' from Porcupine Tree's latest live album, but half a hour ago it was Alice Sara Ott playing Liszt's 12 Etudes d'execution... if it is good music then you'll hear it and if it's great musicianship then you'll hear that also. Enjoy your purchase.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 10
try
1. 'colour to the moon' by Allan taylor.
2. 'the white flag' live by dido. make sure you play FLACs or DVD formats if you are using a computer as the source.

u can also try
3. Jorolet by Bela Fleck.
4. I also like the 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' by Jacintha.

If you like rock people say you should try

5. the album 'Tool' by Lateralus, i havent heard this one yet however.

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 10
I use mine almost exclusively for acoustic jazz and classical. I have other phones that I much prefer for rock. I guess the 650 would be good for folk and bluegrass, though, come to think of it. I don't care for them with amplified instruments much, however. It's all down to personal preferences, of course. I'm a big fan of those cans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back