HD650 to LCD-2 - Was it worth it?
May 21, 2012 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

titusgroan

New Head-Fier
Like the title says - was the upgrade really worth it? for those that have made the leap. I'm after a candid response.

I have a Bottlehead crack and HD650 combo and am wondering if the LCD-2 would be the next step up...

May 21, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 67
If I am right the Bottlehead is designed for high impedance phones and would probabaly struggle with the LCD's. So unless you are planning a amp upgrade I would not bother.
I would just point out that I have had the HD650's twice and currently have the LCD's and the LCD's is a far,Far, FAR better phone but you need a good amp to do them justice else you would just be wasting your money.

May 21, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #3 of 67
Thanks for your response. You are right in saying the Crack is designed for high impedance cans - I'd be looking to get a new amp to go with the LCD-2's. How do you currently drive them?

If you don't mind me asking how much was the total cost to import them into the UK as I'm up in Scotland?

May 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #4 of 67
Quote:
Thanks for your response. You are right in saying the Crack is designed for high impedance cans - I'd be looking to get a new amp to go with the LCD-2's. How do you currently drive them?

If you don't mind me asking how much was the total cost to import them into the UK as I'm up in Scotland?

Decent Audio are the UK importers for Audeze and when i checked prices 3 months ago the UK price was about the same as importing and you have no worries about VAT and import duty.

I am still thinking about a pair myself but haven't contacted them recently to see if they have the latest version with the new connectors ?

May 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #5 of 67
Quote:

I use a balanced Audio-gd Master-6 amp or the Woo6se.

Hifisound (http://www.hifisound.co.uk/) and Decent Audio are stockists in UK. I bought mine from Hifisound. Cost £730 all in.

I don't know if it has changed recently but Audeze's web site had no UK delivery options when I bought mine. Might have been an web site error or they only sold to their UK dealers.

May 21, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #6 of 67
Quote:

I don't know if it has changed recently but Audeze's web site had no UK delivery options when I bought mine. Might have been an web site error or they only sold to their UK dealers.

Yeah when i contacted them they told me they didn't ship to the UK and gave me Decent Audio's details.

Where abouts in the UK are you Nigel ?

Cheers, Carl

May 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #8 of 67
Hey, i just got my LCD2 2 days ago... upgraded from HD650...

To me, i think that its worth it..

BUT... im not sure if its my head being too big or other reasons, but i find that the clamp is too tight and after wearing half an hour or so, it becomes very uncomfortable..

Besides that, im loving it... im using o2 amp with muse02 opamp! Going for Burson 160DS and changing to a whiplash hybrid cable!

wallet is crying!

May 21, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #9 of 67
Quote:

Yeah when i contacted them they told me they didn't ship to the UK and gave me Decent Audio's details.

Where abouts in the UK are you Nigel ?

Cheers, Carl

South Birmingham :)

May 21, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #10 of 67
Quote:
Hey, i just got my LCD2 2 days ago... upgraded from HD650...

To me, i think that its worth it..

BUT... im not sure if its my head being too big or other reasons, but i find that the clamp is too tight and after wearing half an hour or so, it becomes very uncomfortable..

Besides that, im loving it... im using o2 amp with muse02 opamp! Going for Burson 160DS and changing to a whiplash hybrid cable!

wallet is crying!

Did you buy them new and are they the R1 or R2 version.
I had the R1 version previously and yes they did clamp a fair bit and the pads were quite firm as well which did not help.
My R2 that I have had for a few months now have much less clamp and softer pads. I actually think they are now very comfortable.

May 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #11 of 67
great thread, I have the HD650 and Crack also... AND I  also bought new LCD Rev2.

the HD650 is great.. teh LCD Rev2 (with Q Cable) are quite good but the only other amp I have is a schiit asgard so I'm not hearing any night and day difference.
I've been busy with things so haven't got any other amp.  But Im thinking I can't afford the Liquid Fire , and at this point I don't think I want to spend
to get the Violectric V200 at the moment, that o2 amp looks interesting might have to look into..

May 22, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 67
Quote:
Did you buy them new and are they the R1 or R2 version.
I had the R1 version previously and yes they did clamp a fair bit and the pads were quite firm as well which did not help.
My R2 that I have had for a few months now have much less clamp and softer pads. I actually think they are now very comfortable.

Mine is the R2 version with the Plastic housing cable connector.. its still very uncomfortable for me..

after wearing it for half an hour, i start to get headaches.. damn... its getting really annoying..

and i had these strange markings on the side of my headphone.. which im going to get a full refund..

(sorry for the lousy quality pic)

So yeah, i guess im getting a new set of LCD 2 or i might just get the HD 700 when its out.. bcos its just uncomfortable for me..

Quote:
great thread, I have the HD650 and Crack also... AND I  also bought new LCD Rev2.

the HD650 is great.. teh LCD Rev2 (with Q Cable) are quite good but the only other amp I have is a schiit asgard so I'm not hearing any night and day difference.
I've been busy with things so haven't got any other amp.  But Im thinking I can't afford the Liquid Fire , and at this point I don't think I want to spend
to get the Violectric V200 at the moment, that o2 amp looks interesting might have to look into..

Actually, i am also not hearing a very big difference.. the biggest difference was the bass... the bass of the lcd 2 is very powerful, tight and punchy..

The lcd 2 is also darker sounding than the HD 650... and i mean really dark...

May 22, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #14 of 67
Quote:

You don't need to pay Liquid Fire money to gey the best out of the LCD's. There are many other amps including my Master-6, which is superb with the LCD's, which are said to pair very well.

May 22, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #15 of 67
Quote:

Mine is the R2 version with the Plastic housing cable connector.. its still very uncomfortable for me..

after wearing it for half an hour, i start to get headaches.. damn... its getting really annoying..

and i had these strange markings on the side of my headphone.. which im going to get a full refund..

Actually, i am also not hearing a very big difference.. the biggest difference was the bass... the bass of the lcd 2 is very powerful, tight and punchy..

The lcd 2 is also darker sounding than the HD 650... and i mean really dark...

If you hear the LCD's as darker than the HD650's then you definately need a better amp for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back