HD650 or D5000 with RSA Hornet?
Mar 24, 2011 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

forsberg

500+ Head-Fier
Mainly listen to 80% jazz, 20% mix of everything else except country and rnb.

What would be a better headphone for me?  D5000 or HD650?  I can get them for about the same price, and the phones will be driven by RSA Hornet.

Of all the threads I've read, the general consensus is that D5000 has a lot of bass, and HD650 is more laid back and relaxing.  Based on this info, I'm leaning towards the HD650.  What do you guys think?

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 5
I probably shouldn't chime in as I've never heard the Denon. But I do love the sound of the HD650 for the kinds of jazz I listen to. Bill Evans, Jim Hall, Jimmy Giuffre, Bill Frisell, little bits of Brubeck or simlar and a lot of "New Acoustic" jazz-like substance with guitars and mandolins and such. Not so much big ensembles, more smaller combos.

What I feared about the HD650 is that my hissy old mono stuff (or remastered stereo) from c. 1960 would just be "revealed" as sounding awful. You'll hear advice hereabouts that better listening gear "requires" good source material or it's just terrible. Maybe the '650 is special or maybe that advice is well intentioned but wrong in this case. But with high-bitrate CD rips on an iPod, through a Schiit Asgard amp to the HD650 works very, very well on even the antique stuff with tape hiss, saturation, wow and flutter out the wazoo.

As a bonus, it works even better on well-recorded and mastered classical music. At least piano and chamber music which I listen to a fair bit of. For pop music, rock, etc. maybe the Denon will do better. I'm not disappointed with any of that but the HD650 is so darned polite and tightly controlled that you never get the kind of ragged, boomy sound that perhaps some artists would intend you to get on harder fare. Note that I'm not saying "lacks bass" but more like it lacks nastiness, even when a little bit nasty is probably the original intent of the track.

And if you happen to listen to jazz vocals...well, get outta here. Properly driven the HD650 will hit that out of the park like a hanging curve ball. The '650 doesn't do "forward" in the in-your-face way that some pop music is mastered but when you want the soloist to be supported by a warm backing from the guys in the band, now we're talking.

Heck, I even catch myself listening to that Kurt Elling "vocalese" album that my nephew gave me. On my old unamped HD595 it was pretty dull stuff, mostly. Really gets up and makes you notice on the new setup.

[SALES PITCH MODE OFF]

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 5
Yeah, the kind of jazz I'm into are the trios or the quartets where each member gets to improv.  Surprising how you say the 650s are good with antique stuff.  Although masters of their era, I cannot listen to Duke Ellington or Louis Armstrong because they were recorded so badly.  I'm wondering if the PX100 and Westone 3 combo is like a mini-version of HD650 vs D5000.  Because as great Westone 3s are for rock, rap, stuff with bass, when it comes to jazz I find it a bit too much in your face and I actually prefer the PX100s for that.

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Yeah, the kind of jazz I'm into are the trios or the quartets where each member gets to improv.  Surprising how you say the 650s are good with antique stuff.  Although masters of their era, I cannot listen to Duke Ellington or Louis Armstrong because they were recorded so badly.  I'm wondering if the PX100 and Westone 3 combo is like a mini-version of HD650 vs D5000.  Because as great Westone 3s are for rock, rap, stuff with bass, when it comes to jazz I find it a bit too much in your face and I actually prefer the PX100s for that.

I haven't spent much time with the D5000 but I've had the 650s for years and find them to work with everything.  Better than the 650s for comfort and long listening sessions are the DT880s, which I bought at the same time.  To give you an idea how much more I use the 880s, I'm getting ready to put the 6th set of ear pads on the '03 880s, while I just put the second pair on the 650s.  Never the less, the 650s are my reference headphones.

USG

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 5
I totally agree that HD650 are great with different kind of music. I just recently added vocal jazz to type of music i'm listening to but Dianna Kroll and Stacey Kent sound excellent. Be aware that i upgraded to Moon Audio Blue Dragon Version 3 cable to improve them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back