HD650 cable upgrade question....anyone tested the market
Sep 8, 2010 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

paulybatz

Headphoneus Supremus
I am thinking about doing a cable upgrade for the HD650...anyone tried all that the market has to offer:
The three Im considering are:

Moon Audio (Silver)
Stefan
Cardas

Please let me know if this is a waste of money...I already have two stock cables, one I had retermed for balanced, so Im not sure what to do here, nor do I want to waste my money!

Thanks in advance.
Pauly

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 18
Do you believe?

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #3 of 18
I can't say for sure whether it would be worth it or not. I doubt it though. I personally wouldn't put the time, effort and money into something that probably only offers miniscule if any improvements.  I don't think the cable run of headphones is long enough to cause signal degradation either. Sources, amps, and the headphone itself probably have a far more impact on the sound.

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 18
Do you like your HD650s? If you're looking for a drastic change, you won't find it in cables. If you just want a little tweak and believe that cables will make a difference, go for it.

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 18
Just wondering, a friend wants to move on from his HD650, though he really likes their sound, I had the pleasure of listening to them and they are great headphones IMO. What headphone would have similar sound sig but with a larger soundstage, a touch of more detail and slightly more sparkling highs? I was thinking of D7000, but I am not sure now... Did not mean to derail the thread, though somehow I doubt cables will make any significant difference, maybe slightly, but lots of $$$$$ for minimal gain, but it's worth it when you have the headphone you love, and want to max it. Ciao, 

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 18
If your friend really likes their sound he should stick with them, as he won't find another phone with the organic homogeneity of the 650 (no, not even the 600). Here's where an aftermarket cable comes in: it definitely won't alter the balance of the sound or add treble, but the right cable can open up the sound and allow the details through, ameliorating that sense of "veil". It's subtle but real. I use the Headphile Blacksilver, which is said to be the brightest of the cables, and though it's a little inconvenient at only 6', every time I do a comparison with the original cable in the hope I won't hear a difference and can happily go back to the original, I hear a difference; it's like a thin blanket has been placed over the drivers. I was a cable skeptic once, and I still wouldn't recommend one to anyone who didn't like the 650 sound signature, but your friend sounds like a prime candidate. As for the science behind it--well, the original cable is 10' long, and I guess if any cable has a chance of affecting the sound it's a 10' long one. No, not very scientific, but I know what I hear.   

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
I am thinking about doing a cable upgrade for the HD650...anyone tried all that the market has to offer:
The three Im considering are:

Moon Audio (Silver)
Stefan
Cardas

Please let me know if this is a waste of money...I already have two stock cables, one I had retermed for balanced, so Im not sure what to do here, nor do I want to waste my money!

Thanks in advance.
Pauly

I've heard all three and would say don't waste your money on the Stefan (used to own) or Cardas..made little to zero differences.

But the Silver Dragon did help bring the mids and treble out (which I felt the HD650s were in serious need of...especially the treble).

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 18
how about zu mobius cable?

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 18
My ALO has made quite a noticeable difference for the better. I wasn't the only who noticed this as I had a few friends listen and they were convinced.

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 18
Can you quantify the differences?

Quote:
My ALO has made quite a noticeable difference for the better. I wasn't the only who noticed this as I had a few friends listen and they were convinced.

Sep 9, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 18
Quantify the improvement saying it just makes an obvious improvement is useless. What kind of improvement does it provide?

Quote:
I like the Stefan audi art for the 650's and the Cardas for the 600's. A cable does make an obvious improvement but the 650 stock cable is pretty good. 

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
Quantify the improvement saying it just makes an obvious improvement is useless. What kind of improvement does it provide?

Before: The music came from behind the curtain.
After: Someone opened that curtain a bit.

Sep 10, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #15 of 18
It's more as  though if you add the appropriate cable for your setup that you seem to notice more of the music as opposed to the fault(s) of your particular headphones. The appropriate cable can only be found for sure by experimentation. The forums provide tons of opinions on headphones and their aftermarket cables that you can narrow it down by what you read but remember what may seem right for one person may not necessarily be right for you. If you take three people and ask them individually to find the "right" sound you may end up with five solutions. It's fun to experiment but it can get pricy as well as frustrating. Do you prefer brown or blue? It's a matter of opinion. For the 650's a nice cable is nice but the 650 cable is a good cable for stock. If you purchaese the HD25-2's then you may find another cable other than stock essential. Then again it's a matter of opinion.Getting more than stock for the 650's is something one would do once everything else is done. There is no point to a $400 cable if your using a $200 amp. You would do better to improve your amp first. If you got a pair of 600's you may find an aftermarket cable more essential.You could always use a 650 stock cable on a pair of 600's. The improvement is there if the rest of your setup will allow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back