HD600 Grainy Sound?
Feb 24, 2011 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ssavage

500+ Head-Fier
Didn't realize until now but when a singer sings there is this wierd grainy sound that's there. It's not there when the beats just playing but only when someones singing? Any thoughts?

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 12
PA2V2 if you count that. I never noticed it until last night when I was listening at a relatively low volume. Didn't hear it before at higher volumes but now I can tell that it's there in the background

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 12
I've always found graininess to be coming from the source.  I can't imagine that the 600's are the cause, but you never know.  Graininess usually is apparent to me in vocals and/or sibilant sounds like cymbals, etc.  I find poorer CD players with not-so-accurate clocks can be a major source, also can be poorly recorded or over-processed material as well.

I would try an alternate source and see if that clears it up.  I've found it handy to have a few albums on both CD and vinyl that allows me to do checks against each other for my own sanity's sake!

Hope that is helpful!

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 12
Can say I remember the HD580 [same as the HD600] sounding grainy.  (It's been a while though, but I thought they had a relatively smooth sound).  Could possibly the amp adding the sound, or maybe the source.  What is your source?  And do you notice it all songs vocals?

Maybe it's just details that you've never noticed before with the HD600.  The HD600 is probably more detailed than anything you've heard before.  (Background noise/grain in the recording either from the recording method or the mics).

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 12
I use an ipod video. Since apple sucks I can't put flac on it. The majority is around 256/192 but some are 320. I just tried the HD600s on my laptop with my flac brad paisley album. Seems you guys are right! Maybe its the ipod but I'm not sure. With the ipod its not all songs but some songs definitely have the grain present

Feb 24, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 12
I bet you are hearing deficiencies in your source.  Especially when you are listening to encoded audio like MP3, AAC, etc.  Many times it is the luck of the draw whether a certain frequency in a vocal or something else is affected by the compression algorithm and causes graininess.  I've found some albums to have harsh texture on CD that is only there through my custom DAC, but disappears through the main output of the CD player; this is just a function of how well the digital data are interpreted.  Also, there are great differences in the quality of D to A chips in the various generations of iPods.

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 12
Google is your friend. It ain't rocket science.
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #12 of 12
It is true they sound like that, a tiny bit, also depends on your ears, some people don't see it. Similar HD 595 have almost the same problem, and If you go up the sound much ears start to hurt as it becomes more spiky and piercing. But if you listen at moderate volumes they are marvel. I also got the HD 25-1 II, you can go all the way up the volume until your head explodes yet they will sound just as sweet and meaty much like in a disco, a good disco.      

Users who are viewing this thread

Back